Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Apache Hins and decoding them
    Registered
    Hello tribe, for the last couple weeks I have reread these Apache threads and I am wondering total build number and so on.
    So to start it off he is my hin
    APH28100C102

As I want to talk with Eric Froberg, I have spoken with Bobby many times. Wonderful man. I have a couple questions Bobby was unsure of.

Greg

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Tommy, jetcruzr, is the sharpest Apache guy on here regularly.

I'm surprised you had questions Bobby didn't know the answers to
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Contributor jetcruzr's Avatar
    Hello Greg,

There are 3 HIN prefixes related to Apaches, those being "AB8" "APH" and "KMS". All of the manufacturers have a 3 character prefix that identifies the manufacturer. "AB8" was the original prefix that was assigned to Bobby Saccenti when he started Apache.
    Bobby sold the original Apache Powerboats name, logo, and HIN to the Kramer's, to build the 41 and 47 foot Apaches, while Bobby continued building the 21 thru 36 foot boats under the name Apache Performance Boats, with the HIN prefix of "APH". The DOJ closed Apache Powerboats after prosecuting the Kramers. At this time, the "AB8" HIN was permanently retired. Some years later, the DOJ sold the Apache Powerboats name and trademark to a former employee of the Kramer's who started his own boat company with the prefix of "KMS". It is possible that there are some boats with the Apache Powerboats name and trademark having a "KMS" HIN.

As for decoding, it goes like this:

The first 3 characters are the manufacturer prefix.
    The next characters are the model or size of the boat, typically characters 4 and 5 position.
    Then next 3 characters, 6,7 and 8 are the sequence of the total hulls pulled from the mold.
    The next character, 9, is a letter, that corresponds with the month that the boat was built, with "A" being January, "B" being Feb, etc...
    Character 10 is one number that represents the "model year". This number will be the last number in the year.
    Character 11 and 12 is the actual year that the boat was built.

In your HIN, it goes like this:

APH = Bobby Saccenti / Apache Performance Boats
    28 = 28' Apache Brave
    100 = The 100th hull pulled from the mold
    C = March Build
    1 = 2001 Model Year
    02 = Actually Built in 2002

Now, I know this may not make sense. It is possible that I have the build year and model year thing backwards. It has been a minute since I have really researched this. It also seems a bit odd that your boat is the 100th out of the mold. I was not aware that so many 28's existed. Despite my explanation, I have found several inconsistencies with this format and actual builds. Sometimes boats get out of sequence during builds and so forth. I can ask Bobby how many 28's he built. As for Eric, I think all of the boats that he built were under the name "Cherokee Powerboats" with yet another HIN, but I am not positive. I will look a little further into this and check back in with you.

4. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thank you Tommy.

I think you have the build year and model year flip flopped. From what I under stand built march of 2001. 2002 model year. I appreciate the reply. Maybe more will chime in with their HINs.

5. Collapse Details

Greg,

I think you are correct. That makes more sense that the build year follows the build month. Most all of the AB8 HIN have the build year and model year as the same, such as mine, so it was not as easy to figure it out. For example, my boats are AB841047I989 and AB840001A494.

6. Collapse Details

Registered
    Tommy I agree with what you said about 100 being a lot of 28s made. Bobby confirmed it. I am wondering what the Hins are for the last 36s/twin steps? Also it's been said I have one of the last ones built. But then again I heard they built a 28 after mine that went to Jim Moran as a tender for his yacht?. So when did the last Apache get built? I heard there are a couple 2003 model years but never seen a hin.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    Btw amazing collection of Apaches. So you have the first one built 84 and the 47th 89? Awesome just awesome.

8. Collapse Details

The sequence is from the beginning of all boats from the mold, so my 41 is the 47th of all 41’s and my 40 is a 1 of 1. In other words your 28 is number 100 of all 28’s. They did not build 100 in 2001. I also have a 28 in my fleet, but I cannot remember the HIN. The boat is a 92, I think. Now you have me curious...

The 40 is a custom one off built for and designed by Mario Andretti. It’s a really neat boat. Carbon Kevlar layup. Very light and nimble. There are pics of my boats on the pic thread as well as the “project 41” thread.

9. Collapse Details

Registered
    K I read your hin wrong and thought it was a typo on the 40, that really cool. I under stand the sequence number is the order of which they were popped from the mold. So now I am curious of the difference between the 40 and the 41? I always thought it was really I cool have the 100th Brave from the 28 mold. I am wondering the weight difference between your brave and mine. I have always wanted a 41, but I love the 36 twin step. Did you get my pm?

10. Collapse Details

I have the 11th 28. Feb, 88. Gail called the paint scheme "The Blob." I thought Bobby built it, (and he did) but he explained that it was really Tommy Evans. It's really heavy, and they remember making it that way. I was able to talk with Bobby, Gail, and Tommy about the boat at Miami in 2016 and they all remembered it well.

We need to get all these 28s together somewhere.

11. Collapse Details

The 40 was built out of the 41 mold. The boat actually measures 37'6". Does this dimension sound familiar? The boat was blocked in the mold from the rear. The boat has a typical 41 flat deck and cockpit, that is shorter in the engine compartment. Having said this, the engine room is very tight. There is no room for transmissions in the engine room, which is why the boat has Bravo XR's. The boat was built this size in order to meet requirements to fit the boat in the owner's slip at the Gross Pointe Yacht Club.

12. Collapse Details

Our 28 was originally called "Stampede". Here is a pic of Bobby driving the boat after it was built. Bobby remembers building the boat as well as the owner who was a car dealer in Pennsylvania. The boat still has some elements of this paint job on it. I believe that Gail painted this one too. Unfortunately the poor little boat is in really bad shape now. It is just a rotted hull and deck, but it will be restored some day. It must have been a blast in it's day!

Here is a current pic.

Last edited by Ratickle; 11-20-2018 at 08:03 PM.

13. Collapse Details

That was one of the "blob" boats, and Gail definitely painted it. It has the "flying triangle."

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    The 40 looks cool, yea the measurement sounds very familiar. Banana boat also can make a 39 that looks like a 41 hmmmm? So we know for sure 100 28 were made I wonder if any more have been made? What happened to them all? I spend much of the summer on lake lanier in ga.

15. Collapse Details

I wonder how many Center Console 28's were made ?

There was a sweet one for sale in Texas a few Years back.
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

Where did the pics go?

17. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Photobucket is down.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

18. Collapse Details

Registered
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	86273

19. Collapse Details

Registered

Views:	4 
ID:	86274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	86275

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by myattitude View Post

Views:	4 
ID:	86274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0045.JPG 
Views:	5 
Size:	951.2 KB 
ID:	86275
    That is a great looking boat!