I have been a fan of offshore racing since 1985. I have been fortunate enough to race for a good number of years with some very fine teams. Courses have been getting shorter and shorter. There are many reasons one could argue. Its for safety. Its for spectators, its for the show.
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Key%20West%201986%20course%20map1 2.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	85891

Its obvious the larger course is from the 1986 event. The red is a general representation of a present day course. Turn one in '86 was a 10 mile run out the harbor. If this progression of ever shortening courses continues boats will soon be racing inside the mole. Or at ponds in fields next to hiways.

Its time to expand the courses back to a size more realistic and representative of offshore racing. Courses of 10 miles or more I used too race on should not be out of the question.

It should be no surprise boats are getting torn up and bad things happen in the turns. Sadly its part of the show now.

Change is inevitable. Change is always in the air. I hope change swings the pendulum back the other direction toward longer courses.