1. Collapse Details
    Bermuda, Around the Island Race 2018
    Blog Entries
    The annual Around the Island Powerboat Race will take place tomorrow, with racing starting at 2pm from Ferry Reach.

More than a dozen boats are expected to start the 52-mile race that takes participants around the island at speeds in excess of 110 miles per hour. Last year’s A-class and first across the line winning driver Shaki Easton will be back to defend his title against a strong set of competitors all aiming to dethrone him and set a new class record.

B-class will be hotly contested with drivers already promising to hold nothing back as they face off against each other. Speeds from D-class are purportedly the fastest seen in 15+ years — with 100mph the goal of one eager crew.

The always crowd-pleasing twin-engined S-class boats will be pushing their hardest to make up time and catch the smaller boats who all start before them.

http://www.royalgazette.com/motor-sp...-race-tomorrow

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Last edited by Serious News; 08-12-2018 at 05:33 PM.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Selley and Smith set record

David Selley and Matthew Smith broke a 26-year-old A Class record on their way to class and line honours in the Rubis Around the Island Power Boat Race yesterday.

The pair were in the first group to start at Ferry Reach and, despite the rough conditions, they remained consistent to reach the last turn back still in the lead, finishing in a record time of 55min 11sec.

They broke the previous A Class record of 55:46, set in 1992 by Andrew DaCosta and co-pilot Chris Smith, the older brother of Matthew Smith.

“I’m sure we’ll argue about that later tonight,” joked Matthew of matching his brother’s feat in his own boat.

Selley added: “It’s a record, but give respect to Andrew DaCosta, who did it with a 70 [horsepower engine] and we’re running a 115. He did it on a flat, calm day and we’ve actually got more horsepower than he had. I didn’t even think a lick about a record today; it was pretty bad conditions. We were so close to cancelling. Then they lifted the small craft warning and so we said, ‘Let’s go race and drive to the conditions’.”

Smith said: “We were on South Shore, outside the reef line and the swells were definitely a lot bigger. Even the North Shore was hard to read. The only smooth ride was just before we hit the pylons and inside Hamilton Harbour. It was sloppy.”

The strategy of the pair, according to Selley, was “drive to the conditions, keep the nose down, but up enough so that you don’t nosedive.”

He added: “The jack actually broke down on South Shore and Shaki [Easton] drove a hell of a race, made us work. He went past us on the inside and we got him back by Cooper’s Island.

“After that we were able to hold our marks and pull away from him. We never saw anybody else; we were pretty much gone from the get-go. All we’re thinking is the bigger boats catching us.”

Smith said he spent a lot of time looking over his shoulder, expecting one of the more powerful boats to catch them before they returned to Ferry Reach.

“I wanted to see where everybody was,” the co-pilot said. “The only time we actually even saw the other boat was when they caught us by Pink Beach. When we got him back by Cooper’s Island, that was the last time we saw him.”

Said Selley of his co-pilot: “He owns the boat and put me in the position to win the race. I just wanted to make it back in one piece.”

Easton and co-pilot Shane Madeiros, also in A Class, finished second on a day when there were some mishaps in the tough conditions.

“The conditions today would usually be perfect for me, but hats off to David and Matthew, I got it wrong today,” Easton said.

“I just couldn’t hold it in the rough, the boat was all over the place. Shane did an excellent job, his first time going with me. This is the first time I’ve been happy coming second, because this was a ‘hook’.

“I had to work, we chased them down on South Shore, passed them and we battled for a little while and then he left me. I had nothing for them after that, but I gave it my all to catch them.

“North Shore was rough, Castle Roads was rough, but it was a good tactical race. You had to think about it. They went outside, I went inside and that’s how I caught them. It was calmer inside and I was watching them jump the swells.

“I’m still a novice compared to David. I’ve been racing since 2010, but this is a new boat for me.”

There were a couple of setbacks on the course, including a competitor being ejected out of an S Class boat driven by Keith Bridges and co-pilot Aaron Sims, with one of them taken to hospital. The boat was returned to Ferry Reach.

Seventeen boats started in four classes, with 11 finishing the race.

“The race conditions were really good, it was a bit choppy but it is offshore racing and they should know to ride to the conditions,” Chris Roque, the race director, said. “We did have a couple of slight mishaps, mainly due to pleasure boat wake, which I’m hearing caused one of the larger boats to lose a co-pilot overboard. It happened in the harbour, somewhere between Pearl Island and Dockyard. He was in hospital getting checked out and I don’t have any more information at this point.

“On a great note, we’ve got an A [Class] boat first across the line, breaking a record going back more than 20 years. We had a couple of breakdowns, but otherwise it was a great race day.”

Shawn Butterfield and co-pilot Alex Gibbs, of D Class, were back at Ferry Reach quite early after they suffered engine problems off Bailey’s Bay.

“By the time we got out of the pylons, the chop was really heavy and we were just trying to keep it together,” Butterfield said.

“The next thing we knew we went up and I had no control. The boat went up on the side and all the mounts on the engine broke, though the engine kept going.”

Butterfield was trying to get his boat out of the water at Ferry Reach when Selley and Smith crossed the line for the win.

“I was looking for my class win today, but unfortunately it didn’t happen,” Butterfield said. “I saw my mate David Selley just come in first.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/sport/ar...ith-set-record

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The final results for the race:

A – Class
    Mathew Smith & David Selley – A29 in 55:11
    Shaki Easton & Shane Medeiros – A26 in 56:04
    Ryan Davidge & Richard Davidge – A16 in 59:40
    Jody Carreiro & Tony Carreiro – A77 DNF

B – Class
    Quince Dowling & Tai Bean – B441 in 57:02
    Cleveland Maybury & Joshua Usher – B9 in 1:04:35
    Craig Nesbitt Sr. & Craig Nesbitt Jr. – B177 in 1:06:30
    Esperanza Sobroda & Shae Johnson – B113 in 1:19:15
    John Cook & Sanchea Douglas – B135 in 1:26 :40
    Rodrae Wilson & Sanjay Ramatar – B100 DNF
    Jordan Fletcher & Mark Selley – B8 DNS

D – Class
    Geoffrey Willoughby & MaKinday Johansen – D505 in 1:05:43 [9 min penalty assessed due to incorrect start and times adjusted]
    Shawn Butterfield & Alex Gibbs – D69 DNF

S – Class
    Andrew Cunningham & Henry Talbot – S22 in 40:09
    Justin Renaud & Daric Seymour – S7 in 1:10:56
    Steven Bridges & Keith Bridges – S20 DNF

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Photos: Around The Island Powerboat Race: http://bernews.com/2018/08/photos-ar...erboat-race-2/

The 2018 RUBiS Around the Island Powerboat Race was held on Sunday [Aug 12] with a fleet of 17 boats registered to race and 11 completing the course.

First across the line was David Selley and Mathew Smith in A29 who also took class honors and set a new A Class record in a time of 55:11. B Class honors went to Quince Dowling and Tai Bean in B441 with a time of 57:02.

D Class honors went to Geoffrey Willoughby and MaKinday Johansen in D505 with a time of 1:05:43 while S Class honors went to Henry Talbot and Andrew Cunningham in S22 with a time of 40:09.

After the race, BPBA officials confirmed that “During the race S20 was involved in an accident with one of the racers [Keith Bridges] being ejected from the boat and transported to KEMH. As of this time reports back to me have confirmed that he is ok and resting comfortably in KEMH under observation.”

7. Collapse Details

Was there ever a fatal injury during this race? I can imagine there are a few dangerous spots during it.

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I do not know of any. But they've had some crashes.

Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!