Thread: Info on Chicago

1. Collapse Details
    Info on Chicago
    This Thursday I am leaving Detroit and Trailering my 46’ Black Thunder to Michigan City. I am planning on launching at Trail Creek Marina and cruising across the lake to Chicago. Later we will head up to Milwaukee, and then back across the lake to MI

Is a Trail Creek Launch long enough and deep enough to handle a 46’? The marina says yes, but another boater has told me no.

How is the lake with west winds of 20MPH?

Any suggestions of things to do- bars restaurants to go to?

Suggestions for premium fuel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Collapse Details

Hey Steve.

I would recommend AGAINST using Trail Creek...and most guys in the area with larger boats would agree. I had one HELL of a time getting my 35 Fountain on the trailer there years back...fighting current and a narrow area.

A MUCH better idea would be to launch in New Buffalo...the ramp area is more protected, and has a huge parking lot. You are only about a 15-20 minute run to Michigan City from there.

I'm not up on where to buy premium...but I'm PRETTY sure Oselka's in New Buffalo and the Washington Park Marina in MC both have it...might be worth a call. Also pretty sure Burnham and Diversey Harbors in Chicago have premium...but if you want to save a little $...hit up Hammond Marina in IN.

As always...WATCH THE WEATHER. A 20mph breeze on Lake Michigan isn't TOO bad...but it very much depends upon what direction it's coming from...yesterday it was out of the north...and we had 6-9s down on the tip. Use this: https://graphical.weather.gov/sector...eWeek.php#tabs

As to bars and restaurants...New Buffalo has the Stray Dog that is quite good, Michigan City has Mateys...but the food has sucked there lately...just go to drink. There's also a restaurant in the old yacht club location just outside Washington Park Marina. You can dock on the wall in the channel at Michigan City...just idle in almost to the bridge, spin around, and do a starboard side tie.

Chicago will depend greatly upon which marina you are staying in...but suffice to say your food options are pretty limitless with an Uber app.

Milwaukee is a bit out of my range of knowledge...but should you need anything, Northpoint Marina in IL, and Kenosha and Racine in WI are good places to stop.

3. Collapse Details

Thanks

Very helpful

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thanks a bunch Mike. Really appreciate it.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!