1. Collapse Details
    Start your boat engines: 'World's Toughest Outboard Marathon' revs up northern Michigan
    Blog Entries
    Indian River in northern Michigan, which bisects a town of the same name, is normally a placid, no-wake zone lined in tidy cottages and plied by pontoon boats. Except for the second weekend in August, when a fleet of mostly homemade stock outboard boats whiz through at speeds up to 75 miles an hour in the roughest and purportedly the last point-to-point outboard marathon in the country.

Picture a soapbox derby on water running for two days, and you get some idea of the Top O’ Michigan Marathon. Streamlined boats — big enough for only one rider — zip over 80 miles in two days through the Inland Waterway that links Cheboygan on Lake Huron southwest to Crooked Lake, just east of Petoskey, via Mullett and Burt lakes, and Indian and Crooked rivers.

This year’s event, its 70th anniversary, takes place Aug. 11 and 12 and is expected to draw a record 100 entries.

“Top O’ Michigan is a one-of-a-kind race,” said Tom Fairbairn, a retired racer and commodore of the Top O’ Michigan Outboard Racing Club, an all-volunteer group that puts on the event. “There are probably six to eight marathons that go on around the country, but most are raced on short courses with left-hand turns only. Ours is 42 to 43 miles each day. Our rivers and lakes are challenging. That’s why we call it the toughest outboard race.”

From my family’s cabin on Burt Lake, I stumbled across the event last summer, literally, on a jog into town for Dairy Mart soft serve. I joined race viewers on the Michigan Highway 27 bridge over Indian River where the 30-footish narrows make a rather harrowing passage for drivers bouncing around the arrowlike boats in the turbulence as one fearless mallard bobbed in the wake. They seemed destined to crash but never did, though a few watercraft flipped in the lakes.

Powerboat racing, which once had a thriving stock outboard circuit, requires the water course to be closed to other traffic, a logistical hurdle that has threatened the sport elsewhere. Fairbairn and Top O’ Michigan club members take an entire year to work through permitting with 12 townships, two counties, the state’s department of natural resources and the Coast Guard.

“I think it’s a dying hobby or sport, and first, it’s very unique. When I say I race boats, people think sailboats,” said Samantha Fairbairn, Tom’s daughter and protegee. The 25-year-old racer won the B class, one of five in the adult outboard division, all based on weight and size, last year. “It’s a huge adrenaline rush. It’s awesome. You might think, ‘Oh, 55 miles per hour, that’s road speed.’ But on the water, it feels like 100.”

She describes the sensation as “flying,” and even from my elevated vantage point, I could see both boats and drivers catching air as they bounced around. Sitting on their knees to steer, drivers often wear gloves to avoid blisters and kneepads to cushion the blows. Samantha also wears a kidney belt that compresses the kidneys and lower back during the ride.

“It depends on the weather,” she said. “The rivers aren’t bad, but the lakes can get pretty rough.”

That’s because, Burt and Mullett, apart from the Great Lakes, are among the five largest lakes in Michigan, at 27- and 26-square-miles, respectively. Named for William A. Burt and John Mullett, who surveyed the area in the 19th century, the lakes straddle Interstate 75 about 25 miles south of the Mackinac Bridge. Even on fair days, these waters — Burt measures 73 feet deep, while Mullett is 148 — are wave-prone.

They form part of the Inland Waterway, an original Native American route that, with a portage near Petoskey, links Lake Huron and Lake Michigan, allowing calmer and shorter passage than the Great Lakes. Indian River is the central channel in the route and, apart from race weekend, a great place to spot loons, osprey and river otters. (Eight-passenger pontoon rentals from Indian River Marina in the town of Indian River start at $250 for a full day.)

“We’ve had successful racers who initially watched the race and came to the judges stand and said, ‘How do I do this? Or how do I get my kid in this?’” said Cheboygan native Don Voisin, 10-time winner of the race and former commodore of the club. He still runs the start at DeVoe Beach in Indian River. “It’s very much a family sport.”

Voisin began racing back in its heyday in the 1950s when, he said, you could walk into almost any marina and buy a Mercury racing motor.

“There was a lot of money then,” he said of the race circuit in the ’60s and ’70s. “I got third place at a race in the Thousand Islands (in New York) and won $300. I remember we bought a new washer and dryer with it.”

Last year, competitors came from as far away as Georgia. In the past, race organizers say they have had entries from South America. Since no one can practice in the rivers, race organizers use pontoon boats to take out-of-town competitors through the course prior to the race.

“This type of race is once in a lifetime,” said Tom Fairbairn. “Once they’ve done it, they’re addicted, and the race keeps getting stronger and better.”

Over 5,000 spectators come to view the action, filling hotels and rental cabins from Cheboygan to Petoskey. (Indian River, at the center of the race course, also offers cycling access to the 61-mile North Central State Trail that runs from Gaylord to Mackinaw City.)

One of Fairbairn’s favorite places to catch the race is on the Crooked River near Alanson, at a turn known as Devil’s Elbow.

“There’s a couple of 180-degree turns, so you’re coming back on yourself,” said Samantha Fairbairn, who, as a local, may have home-field advantage. “It’s super difficult for newer drivers.”

By Elaine Glusac
    Chicago Tribune
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifest...729-story.html

2. Collapse Details

Friend that grew up there said it was a REALLY cool event

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm really thinking of going up to watch one of the days if possible.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    All for Jim: Hagerl returns to Top O'Michigan Outboard Marathon Nationals to honor late brother

BRUTUS — Chris Hagerl thought just a short time ago his boat racing career was over.

The 32-year-old and veteran racer of the Top O’Michigan Outboard Marathon Nationals stepped away some eight years ago from the annual two-day event through the Inland Waterway, citing injuries as one of the biggest reason.

“My left shoulder was separated and I just kind of never came back,” Hagerl said. “It was never I wasn’t enjoying the race, I was just away and doing other things.”

His journey took him out of Northern Michigan for several years, including stops at several locations in Wisconsin where he worked with a friend driving a metal recycling truck before he got into building yachts.

Close to 2 1/2 months ago and shortly following the death of his older brother, Jim, Hagerl decided to move back home.

“Ultimately it’s great being there for the family and helping out the family,” Hagerl said from the porch of his parent’s (Don and Mary Ellen Hagerl) home overlooking Burt Lake. “Just being close to the family was what the initial move was made for.”

Hagerl, who along with his sister, Amanda, has been racing in the Powerboat Nationals Formula 4 series this year, decided following a race last weekend in Ravenswood, West Virginia, he wanted to honor his brother somehow.

He couldn’t think of any better way than to get back into the boat Jim had so much success in this weekend at the 70th annual marathon, which will take place at noon both Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 11-12, at Devoe Park in Indian River.

“For Jim, I wanted to do this,” Hagerl said. “We had a break in our series and I said I’m going to do this. I put a motor on it yesterday (Tuesday) and it ran. I found all the safety gear and I’m actually going to wear with the rules as much of Jim’s as I can and run his number to make it even more special.

“I really haven’t found any other way than to say this is my brother,” Hagerl said. “We ran a lot of the similar equipment growing up and a lot of what I wanted to accomplish in racing was because of what he did.”

Jim Hagerl passed away at the age of 40 on April 4 this year at his home in Cloquet, Minnesota, following a courageous battle with brain cancer. A Pellston High School and Northern Michigan University graduate, he also started a master’s program at Bemidji State University and was employed as a program coordinator with Northwood Children’s Services. He also taught in schools in Minnesota, Wisconsin and Vermont, volunteered with Young Athletes Foundation and Courage Kenny.

During his illness, he was a key member of the Milltown Milers Running Club, and many people in Northern Michigan remember him best from his racing days with the American Power Boat Association at the marathon nationals.

“Jim and I really loved Top O’,” Hagerl said. “We really did. It was kind of this love-hate relationship though because we both had this expectation of being from here and once you win one, people expect you to win more.

“Those nerves hit me when I was testing the other day,” Hagerl added. “I’m not going out there to win it, I just going to have fun. When I’m in the boat, it’s a nice quiet time for me and it allows me to think. I think this is the way Jim would want it.”

Both Hagerl’s are no strangers when it comes to earning championships at the marathon nationals, as Jim won four Class B stock runabout titles (1996, 1999, 2001, 2003) and other in X-Class performance inflatables (2004 with Sarah Bek).

Chris has eight championships under his belt with five in Class B (2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011), two in Junior Class (1997, 1998) and another in 2003 in Class A.

The youngest sibling, Amanda, has won three Class B titles (2012, 2013, 2014) at the marathon, another in Junior Class (2001) and in X Class in 2003 along with George Cochran.

If you add the Hagerls’ father Don’s seven titles including five in Class 15SSR (also known as Class B), the quartet has 26 marathon national championships between them.

“It’s a rare feat to have four family members win multiple titles in the same class,” Chris said. “That’s almost unheard of in our sport.”

Despite the success, Hagerl said it was never about the wins or losses between he and Jim. It was more about the experiences and the stories.

“One year Jim broke down on Crooked River and walked out of the river near U.S. 31 where he thought the water was only a few inches deep,” Hagerl said. “It was actually several feet deep of mud. He was covered in mud walking down 31 and my grandparent’s neighbors recognized him, took him into Alanson so he could call someone to get him. That’s the thing about this race, there’s areas where there’s nobody and there’s areas where there are tons of people.

“You’re not just doing it for yourself,” Hagerl added. “You’re doing it for the community. The community has done so much for this race that we wouldn’t have it if they didn’t want us.”

Hagerl said he and Jim have always appreciated the support during the marathon nationals, and even though he suspects he won’t be able to walk on Monday — or maybe even Sunday morning — getting back into the kneel-down boat designed by Ed McCourtie is sure to bring back a flood of emotions.

“I guarantee you he’ll (Jim) be right there with me,” Chris said. “Even before he got sick and was unable to race, this was the one race where he’d call whoever he knew to find out what the results were. It mattered that much to him. This is the race that even if you’re slammed with work or business, you look to see who did what and you call to congratulate the winner because you know as a former winner or racer how much it takes to cross that finish line. It takes a lot.”

Don Hagerl said he’s proud Chris will be taking part in this year’s marathon nationals, and he’s also glad to have his son back home.

“I think he’s going to do a lot better,” Don said. “He was lonely and getting home was a big step, but it had to be his idea. We’re glad he’s here. He’s doing well at Ginop’s. He’s always been an overachiever and a hard worker.”

Since returning home, Chris has been working at Ginop Sales Inc. based in Alanson, who’ll serve as his race team’s sponsor along with Optima Batteries, Slick Cleaning Supplies and The Thumb Print.

“Those guys have given me the opportunity to do this and get back to my roots and my family,” Chris said. “It was important to me and they were all very supportive.”

https://www.petoskeynews.com/feature...fcea15065.html

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Annual boat race set to hit the water running Saturday

INDIAN RIVER — It’ll be another milestone year for the annual Top O’ Michigan Outboard Marathon Nationals this weekend.

The famed race will hit its 70th year of competition as one of the top outboard boat racing events in the country, with defending champions seeking to extend their legacies, heated rivalries regaining steam and younger racers aiming to make a name for themselves.

More than 100 participants are expected to compete this year with nine defending champions returning to hold on to their crowns.

One of the most anticipated recent rivalries within the marathon will take place in the CSR class between legendary racer Tim Ross out of Waterford and defending champion Dustin Pearson of Indian River.

Pearson pulled out the victory last year and also upset Ross, who has won a total of 12 championships, in 2015 as well.

Ross has experienced a great deal of success in the CSR class, claiming three titles in the past five years, with his last win coming in 2016.

Berkley resident Josh Pearson will defend his crown in the DSR class against Fred Hollerback, who is a two-defending champion in his own right.

Reigning 25SSR champion Justin Giegler of Indian River, will compete for his third consecutive title with Atlanta, Georgia native Brent Johnson, who has challenged Giegler in the past, returning to compete.

Flat Rock’s Emily Kerr will defend her title in the J class with Nathan Kowalski of Presque Island looking to regain the crown he held for two consecutive years before losing to Kerr last year.

Also returning to defend their title is Brutus native Samantha Fairbairn in the BSR division.

Harbor Springs’ Peter Lauer will return but not to defend his ASR crown from last season, but to compete in the 15SSR class, which he won in 2015.

Points are totaled for each day with the racer with the highest number of points taking home the title of national champion, along with a trophy and prize money as well.

The Top O’ Michigan Outboard Racing Club began all the way back in 1949 as the Top O’ Michigan Marathon Association, making it the longest-running race in the nation.

In the Bandit Inflatables category, defending champions Jake Jerge and Samantha Appleyard of Milford will compete to hold onto their titles.

Defending Outlaw Inflatable class champions Raymond and Emily Crooks of South Rockwood will be back again to fight for another title, while X Class winners Jeff Howe and Steven Parsons of New Hudson and Commerce Township, respectively, will also return to battle for their titles once again.

The Marathon Nationals is a two-day event of outboard racing on three Northern Michigan lakes and three rivers, totaling 87 miles between the two courses.

Races start at noon each day on DeVoe Beach in Indian River and wind through Crooked, Mullet and Burt Lakes, with transitions across the Indian, Cheboygan and Crooked rivers, and the finishes on both days accruing points that determine the overall national champion in each class.

Winners receive a cash prize to go with the title, as does each finisher in the four spots behind the winner.

Boats used in the marathon must be registered through the American Boat Association. Crafts used in the race are divided into several weight classes ranging from lightest at 330 pounds, to heaviest at 515 pounds.

Spectators are welcome to watch the event, though the rivers and lakes will be closed to public boats for the duration of the Marathon Nationals.

More information on the event can found by visiting
    http://tomorc.org/.

https://www.petoskeynews.com/sports/...9f428e07c.html

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

13. Collapse Details