1. Collapse Details
    INXS Restoration
    I just saw that the 1993 47 foot INXS Fountain is for sale. It has no motors, no drives, and no gauges.

Any quick, random thoughts on what it would require to put it back together?

Thanks in Advance!

2. Collapse Details

It would require near total ignorance of boat restoration.

Nobody who has ever restored a twin classic offshore boat would touch a triple.

3. Collapse Details

Plug a hole and put two in. LOL

4. Collapse Details

There is a reason boats like that one, Razz, and others sit now unrestored.

A real number would vary wildly depending on drives. But I could see a half million. Assuming the hull is "ok"
    Wonder what Tres would say.

5. Collapse Details

The 45 foot INXS has been totally restored here in Texas by someone. They did a very nice job. Not sure where the boat was shape wise when the project started. If I can get 5 minutes to myself I will give them a call and see what they come up with.

Thanks

6. Collapse Details

The 47 Apache INXS was fitted with turbines and re-rigged about 5 years ago in the AMF shop in Florida. That was twins with Arnesons.
    Bet that wasn't cheap. It has bow thrusters, among other things.

Not aware of a 45.

I thought the 47 INXS Fountain was converted to pleasure before it was stripped.

7. Collapse Details

When I see a boat that has been completely de-rigged, I consider it a restoration. The "might as well" factor kicks in hard. The difference between re-rigging the boat and taking advantage of the fact it is de-rigged to do things like repaint bilge, etc... becomes negligible. Blank slate is best at that point. Learned that personally.

8. Collapse Details

Totally agree. The INXS boat here in Texas is at Victory Marine in San Leon. Really did a nice job and from what I've seen it looks like a
    " blank page" restoration.

I think when there are very nice, turn key cruiser boats out there for 100k it makes a rebuild on something like this a far fetched idea. As you so rightly said earlier, there is usually a reason why these projects aren't green lighted.

Having said all that, there is always gonna be the personal connection, nostalgia factor that trumps all to folks with very deep pockets. Somewhere in the past a boat/car/plane got in their head and they bite the project off with no thought to reason.

It's been my experience that unless someone is that super rare individual who can do all the work alone then by far the best thing to do is to buy already completed.

Thanks

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Do you have a link to the sale site and asking price?

Trips, if you got lucky and looked really hard, would be around $50,000 each with #6 drives. So, start there with the redo. $20K interior. Then rigging, etc.

Didn't that boat crack once in front of the canopy?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Do you have a link to the sale site and asking price?

Trips, if you got lucky and looked really hard, would be around $50,000 each with #6 drives. So, start there with the redo. $20K interior. Then rigging, etc.

Didn't that boat crack once in front of the canopy?
    I would think $50k would be best case scenario. Boat restoration isn't "best case scenario" land. I would think $200k-$250k in power and drives.
    I don't like the fuel tanks in 25 year old boats, either.

11. Collapse Details

The boat was listed for 50000$ with the stainless headers and trailer. Of course I'm sure the trailer needs tires to go very far.

12. Collapse Details

FR, was the boat that had turbines installed the INXS Apache that Roger Whitteborn used to own? I may have his last name misspelled - that open cockpit boat was a nice one!

13. Collapse Details

I don't know about the Roger part. I know the 47 you asked about is the one that Tres Martin built/ran.
    Not sure who all has owned the 47 Apache INXS. But this was it in 2013: http://www.powerboatnation.com/inxs-...t-apache-ever/