1. Collapse Details
    1973 CIGARETTE RACING TEAM 28SS OFFSHORE RACING BOAT "EL DIABLO" - $6000
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1973 cigarette racer.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	124.8 KB 
ID:	85246

1973 Cigarette Racing Team 28SS (28') equipped with triple 1983 Mercury 200 outboards. This is the actual boat that was named "El Diablo and was raced by Bobby Garr during 1974 and 1975. Garr's father purchased this boat directly from Don Aronow and then had it equipped with a pair of race prepped Corvette small blocks. They had the windshield removed, and then installed custom grab bars, footrests and two high-speed compasses. Garr was very successful racing this boat in the Sport Class, winning around 4 to 5 races. He won his first race at the age of 17, and was the youngest person to win an offshore powerboat race at that time. I have some digital documentation showing a few of the races he won with it, and a copy of an original Powerboat Magazine showing the results of the 1974 Hennesy Grand Prix. All of the documentation I have will be included with the boat.

Bobby's father's business fell on hard times during the mid-seventies and they sold the "El Diablo" at that time. The new owner painted the boat and eventually converted it over to triple Mercury 200 outboards around 1983. I purchased it from the 2nd owner in 1995, and used it for about 10 years until I had some problems with the center engine. The powerhead was removed, one of the cylinders was sleeved, and new piston was purchased. All of the components for the entire powerhead for the center engine are boxed up and ready to be reassembled. The only thing that is needed to put the powerhead back together is a gasket set. The complete disassembled powerhead is included with the boat. The other two engines were running fine at that time, but have not been started many years.

This boat is equipped with hynautic steering, Morse controls, and 28 pitch stainless props. The two props that are not on currently on the boat are boxed up and included with it. All of the engines have low water pickups on them. The outside engines have aftermarket cones, and the center engine has a factory low water pickup housing. This boat has a 70 gallon fuel tank below the cabin, and a 110 gallon tank in the floor, both are aluminum. The original grab bars, footrests and 5" Danforth Constellation compasses are still on the boat. The compasses were redone in 2000 and still look decent. The engine bracket is powder coated aluminum and provides additional flotation. The boat sits on a 1974 triple axle Float-On aluminum I-Beam trailer that is still in excellent shape and is also included in the sale. All of the axles were replaced on the trailer in 1996.

The two outside engines rotate clockwise and the center engine rotates counterclockwise. There is no shifter for the center engine, so it is always in gear. I wait until I have pulled away from the dock before I start it, and make sure to shut it down prior to docking or anchoring.

I have a complete set of Mercury Racing Kiekhaefer 280S trim tabs that are included with the boat. They have quite a bit of corrosion on them so some of their components will need to be replaced, but they do have new pumps. I also have a complete, powder coated, but never installed original windshield frame for this boat that is also included with it. It is not the actual original windshield that was removed from the boat, but came from another Cigarette of the same vintage.

Now for the bad. This boat has not been used or had the engines started for over 10 years and has been sitting outside in the elements. The hull is still very solid. The stringers, deck, and floor still appear to be in good shape, but I suggest you inspect it for yourself. The wood inside the cover for the fuel tank in the floor, the access cover for the compartment in front of the transom, and the cabin hatch are rotted out and need to be redone. The paint on the deck and sides of the hull is shot. The interior needs to be completely redone. The Plexiglas in the hatches is leaking and need to be resealed. The hatches are covered at this time. All of the teak plywood in the cabin was damaged by the leaking hatches and needs to be completely redone. The hynautic steering helm doesn't work and needs to be rebuilt. Some of the engine trim cylinders are leaking. The trailer has a few dry rotted tires and the tongue jack is busted.

The boat has a clear title. The trailer comes with the old Florida registration and a bill of sale, which will be sufficient to obtain a title in state that require one. Don't miss this rare opportunity to own a piece of offshore powerboat racing history

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/boa...500485837.html

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is kinda cool.

I think it would be expensive to return it to its original heritage though......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Interesting on that center motor too.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!