1. Collapse Details
    Pro-Charger on a 496
    Has anyone heard of or experienced any deterioration or damage to a post 2004 496 with the Pro-Charger upgrade? 3lb or 5lb?
    http://www.marineandspeed.com

Performance & reliability through comprehensive service

2. Collapse Details

Haven't heard of many that haven't had problems. Just not a good platform to supercharge. They obviously do better with only 3 psi boost. At 5 psi, you are asking for trouble. I could not even estimate how many I have seen and heard about blowing up. The problems are not only with a Procharger, they are breaking with any SC. They were just not made for it.
    Eddie

3. Collapse Details

Thanks, that's about what I expected.

4. Collapse Details

Waterford Mi., Lk. St. Clair and Lk. Erie
    I have heard that the top ring is too close to the top of the piston. Too much boost or a little bit of detonation is all it takes to melt that thin area of the piston. No more than 3 lbs. of boost if you do it.

5. Collapse Details

There are a lot of rumors out there about putting boost to a 496. I have knowledge of both. So below is my opinion. Also I will say right up front that obviously forged internals would be better & are still better than cast. So that aside.......... :

I have a whipple on my own 496 mag ho running 5-6psi. I am going into my 3rd season with it running strong. That said the whipple kit is much more precise over the PC. I also am running an auxillary oil cooler & much larger heat exchanger on my ap with some other stuff. However the internals are stock.

As far as the procharger on a 496 I am not a big fan of it due to it lack of being precise. Also they only have a listing for up to 04 on it. The lack of a proper ecm cal & boost sensor certainly make it all the more risky on it from ATI. However if you were to remap & use larger injectors and a boost sensor instead of just a map one would be better off.

There is a bit more to it than that on both of these kits, but those are at least most of the basics from the top of my head.

Jamie / Lakeside

6. Collapse Details

I was figuring at the very least I would have to tweak the ECM's, utilize the Whipple ecm upgrade with the Pro-Chargers. However I am leaning more towards the complete Whipple package now rather than the Pro-Chargers. Thanks for the input.

7. Collapse Details

No problem & your'e welcome. Also again IMO yes the Whipple is a MUCH better way to go on the 496 platform for sure.. Jamie / Lakeside

8. Collapse Details
    Wink
    If you have to supercharge a STOCK 496, Jamie at Lakeside is correct, the Whipple is the only way to go. Whipples ECM re-programs and properly calibrated fuel delivery system will give you the best performance and hopeful reliability. A Pro-Charger system without custom programming and special set up in the boat is a recipe for disaster!
    If you want to still run 87 octane fuel and have better reliability, longevity and close performance gains then you should consider our Raylar 525HP -103 kit.

Be careful, do it right with expert help and you will have a better overall upgrade expierence! Boat safe and enjoy!

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Raylar View Post
    If you have to supercharge a STOCK 496, Jamie at Lakeside is correct, the Whipple is the only way to go. Whipples ECM re-programs and properly calibrated fuel delivery system will give you the best performance and hopeful reliability. A Pro-Charger system without custom programming and special set up in the boat is a recipe for disaster!
    If you want to still run 87 octane fuel and have better reliability, longevity and close performance gains then you should consider our Raylar 525HP -103 kit.

Be careful, do it right with expert help and you will have a better overall upgrade expierence! Boat safe and enjoy!

Best Regards,
    Ray @ Raylar
    Thanks Ray.. & I also should have probably added that you have one heck of a kit to add power to the 496's as well for those that want to do it without boost, or those who only want to futher enhance thier boosted units..

Happy New year every one..

Jamie / Lakeside