Thread: Lanyard

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Lanyard
    Smile
    Wear your lanyards. Ok I said it here 1st - haha.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    you actually wear that thingIt makes it hard for me to get to my drink.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BY U BOY View Post
    you actually wear that thingIt makes it hard for me to get to my drink.

Hate to admit it but I was pitched one time without it. Bye , bye boat. Never again.

4. Collapse Details

Some times I forget to put it on until i push the throttle then it goes on. I do feel very safe in my scarab with it being a sit down and the free board above my shoulder.
    SOS NINJA dancing on the boundaries of hell.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Anybody ever been on the floor looking at and trying to reach the throttles?

6. Collapse Details

Yea more than once. Specificially remember Daytona 2002!

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    I was driving my boat by myself (which is rare) down on lake pickwick on vacation trying to see what my new top speed was on the last day I was there about 5 years ago. My boat had a new 540 that was only about 750 hp (blown) and I hit a crusier wake at about 80 mph (the water is real brown and sun was shining so somehow I didn't see it). I was tossed off the throttles into the back seat,the boat shut down (I WAS wearing my lanyard) then I was thrown down into the cabin violently. I crawled back out,regained my composure,forced the shifter into neutral,plugged my tether back in then gingerly drove to the boat launch right near pier 57 marina un-eventfully. Could have been another tragedy,I always wear mine when on plane,Smitty

8. Collapse Details
    Lightbulb
    We need to find a set of PINK ones for Fund!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by cosmic12 View Post
    We need to find a set of PINK ones for Fund!!!!!
    Beat ya to it, I was looking for pink lanyards yesterday.

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member Edward R. Cozzi's Avatar
    To set an example, we all should install them in our cars.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    Beat ya to it, I was looking for pink lanyards yesterday.
    Did ya find'em?

12. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor glassdave's Avatar
    it can never be said enough . . .

Between the ScarabIII and the Donzi and Batboat the lanyard is mounted in two different locations. My Scarab is to the left and below the wheel and on the Donzi and Batboat its on the right, by the throttles. I am so use to having the band on my wrist it feels out of place when i drive with one clipped anywhere else. Sort of like when you dont have a seat belt on in a car. Brad S. of Tres Martins driving school says they teach using wrist lanyards for just that reason. When ever i am behind the wheel i am subconsciously reminded to put it on because of the prior repetition of use.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Edward R. Cozzi View Post
    To set an example, we all should install them in our cars.
    There was one evening many years ago that such a device would have come in handy.

14. Collapse Details

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn-9XYScik

Honored to have Pantera use my ejection in The Worlds 1999. Look at 2 minutes 14 seconds in and you see why PFD's and Lanyards saved my life.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Anybody ever been on the floor looking at and trying to reach the throttles?
    I remember a time when I first got my Scarab. I rounded Sandy Hook and got into some 6 footers. My buddy Mike was with me and he was never on a speed boat before but he's a diehard sports guy and likes adrenaline... Before we took off I told him to hold on, don't compress when we land, just obsorb a little shock but don't compress....

Well, I start getting on it, about 65-70 mph... We make the final turn around the hook and hit the first swell. We launch level with perfect attitude, I pull back on the sticks, we land in the trough and I gun it to keep the bow down so we could launch off the second one. As I'm doing so, I notice Mike absorbing the shock from the landing and squats down almost to the floor. I'm giving it throttle and getting ready to launch off the second one I see him out of the corner of my eye starting to spring back up from the floor..... I say to myself; "oh chit, he's going to eject himself right out of the boat, this is NOT GOOD..."

We launch the second wave and Mike starts flying out of the bolster. Mind you this guy is a baseball player at Tampa University, about 200 lbs, early 20's and in great shape.... I simultaneously pull back on the sticks and grab Mikes pant leg as he's flying out and quickly pull him back down... About that time the boat starts landing and Mike comes down landing on the floor inside the boat between the bolsters...... A little bewildered by what just happened, he stands up and says "that was awesome"

It scared the chit out me and I've never gone swell jumping again with someone who doesn't know what they are doing and we were only doing 65-70 mph.

Folks, don't mess with mother nature... Respect it and be cognizant of the dangers we all face.... I was 19-20 yrs old at the time...luckilly no one got hurt...

16. Collapse Details

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn-9XYScik

Honored to have Pantera use my ejection in The Worlds 1999. Look at 2 minutes 14 seconds in and you see why PFD's and Lanyards saved my life.
    Brian, will a Lanyard save me from getting a black and blue azz like you? What will Reggie think when i moon him?

17. Collapse Details
    Lifeline at key west
    We will have LIFELINE Starter Jackets availible for purchase at the Key West Poker Run. You can buy them each night following the drivers meetings starting Monday Night November 3rd or at Key West.

These are the silver grey starter jackets in all stock sizes. If you want a different color, type, custom size or special order call 954 560 9080 or emial bcschoe@msn.com

Mercury ignition stop lanyards and wrist bands will also be availible.

18. Collapse Details

Ive always worn one, more justifyable now since all of what's been happening on what we read on threads and other forums. Scare's the crap out of me. The wrist band lanyard that I received from the Tres School works out real good, and always goes on my shifter's, it's a good reminder, every time. Jeff

19. Collapse Details

I have a wrist band that hangs on the ignition keys. Always right there and can be slipped on w/o looking. Learned several yrs ago how fast chit can go wrong when you don't see it coming. Been a wearing ever since whenever the boat goes faster than idle. (I know, need to work on the full time thing)

20. Collapse Details

I started wearing mine when I bought my first go fast back in '94. Not my first boat by any means...and not even the fastest. It was a little Donzi Sweet 16 that was a blast to drive. But was it squirrely! Never knew how the thing would take flight...lean to left, lean to right, and maybe fly straight once in a while. And fly it did. I'll never forget how some of my die hard boating friends refused to ride in it with me because I loved to push it to its limits.

That was 5 boats ago. Been wearing my lanyard ever since. Hate the wrist band though. I tie mine to my swim suit string or clip it to my pants.

Why, oh why, do the Merc Racing shorts my wife gave me for Xmas NOT have a lanyard clip built into them?
    Hampton Roads Powerboat Association