Thread: Lanyard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Also a great anti-theft device as well. Safety first.

2. Collapse Details
    Lanyards
    When rigging a boat ALWAYS put the lanyard to the right side!!!! I learned the hard way. Was running down the lake one around 70 mph and the wife was screaming slow down its to rough, so of course I went faster. Layard was mounted left of steering wheel near center of boat. She reached over and yanked it. Well the boat slowed real fast and the water came up the transom, of course at that rpm the motor got pre-ignition and ingested the water.. Lots of bent valves. That was in 1980 so ever since I mount layards where no one else can grab it

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    Yea more than once. Specificially remember Daytona 2002!
    Heck I'm sore just thinking about that weekend!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Clustergear View Post
    When rigging a boat ALWAYS put the lanyard to the right side!!!! I learned the hard way. Was running down the lake one around 70 mph and the wife was screaming slow down its to rough, so of course I went faster. Layard was mounted left of steering wheel near center of boat. She reached over and yanked it. Well the boat slowed real fast and the water came up the transom, of course at that rpm the motor got pre-ignition and ingested the water.. Lots of bent valves. That was in 1980 so ever since I mount layards where no one else can grab it

X wife ? I just get slapped in the back of the head .....

5. Collapse Details

I always have mine on my wrist with the velcro strap from the Tres Martin Boat School.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by smittyseng View Post
    I was driving my boat by myself (which is rare) down on lake pickwick on vacation trying to see what my new top speed was on the last day I was there about 5 years ago. My boat had a new 540 that was only about 750 hp (blown) and I hit a crusier wake at about 80 mph (the water is real brown and sun was shining so somehow I didn't see it). I was tossed off the throttles into the back seat,the boat shut down (I WAS wearing my lanyard) then I was thrown down into the cabin violently. I crawled back out,regained my composure,forced the shifter into neutral,plugged my tether back in then gingerly drove to the boat launch right near pier 57 marina un-eventfully. Could have been another tragedy,I always wear mine when on plane,Smitty
    That's always makes for a fun ride after words

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by THEJOKER View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rpn-9XYScik

Honored to have Pantera use my ejection in The Worlds 1999. Look at 2 minutes 14 seconds in and you see why PFD's and Lanyards saved my life.
    ouch. bent the shifter in half!!

8. Collapse Details

I started wearing the lanyard a few years ago after reading forum posts on the internet. Great teaching tool. Thanks for the stories guys, great reinforcement.

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    People generally don't share the truly ugly stories.

10. Collapse Details

I have a VERY comfortable , adjustable, padded wristband that I got from Tres Martin.

OK Brad, how was that plug ?

I`ll send you a PM with instructions on where to send the $5

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DonMan View Post
    I have a VERY comfortable , adjustable, padded wristband that I got from Tres Martin.

OK Brad, how was that plug ?

I`ll send you a PM with instructions on where to send the $5
    Thanks DMAN Send me the inof. These do make great stocking Sutffer!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1968.JPG  

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD SCHOENWALD View Post
    Thanks DMAN Send me the inof. These do make great stocking Sutffer!
    those look familiar...Tres gave me 2 one for each boat..much nicer than the orig. ones, more comfortable. Jeff

13. Collapse Details

This might be a dumb question, but is there a benefit of a wrist lanyard over one that clips to your belt loop, or board shorts? My only issue with my clip on type is I forget it is on and sometimes when I am solo and put a fender out on the port I kill the engines.

14. Collapse Details

where to buy the wrist band pictured in post #31 need a lanyard as well if anyone could also point me in that direction thanx

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by baywatch View Post
    This might be a dumb question, but is there a benefit of a wrist lanyard over one that clips to your belt loop, or board shorts? My only issue with my clip on type is I forget it is on and sometimes when I am solo and put a fender out on the port I kill the engines.
    I usually put mine on the shorts or somewhere on my life jacket while underway. Once off plane I take it off.

Throttling and adjusting trim in rough water I was always nervous about the cord possibly getting hung up on something and cutting the engines which could be very dangerous upon re-entry without any power and I didn't want it on my steering arm either. The only time I wear a wrist band is when I'm on a jetski. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Here's another one.... You have the lanyard on your wrist and a helicopter flys overhead for a photo opp.. You lift your arm over your head and wave to the copter and if the lanyard is too short..... whoops... dead in the water...

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    I usually put mine on the shorts or somewhere on my life jacket while underway. Once off plane I take it off.

Throttling and adjusting trim in rough water I was always nervous about the cord possibly getting hung up on something and cutting the engines which could be very dangerous upon re-entry without any power and I didn't want it on my steering arm either. The only time I wear a wrist band is when I'm on a jetski. Different strokes for different folks I guess!

Here's another one.... You have the lanyard on your wrist and a helicopter flys overhead for a photo opp.. You lift your arm over your head and wave to the copter and if the lanyard is too short..... whoops... dead in the water...
    cool, I think I will just keep my current technique and remember to remove it when off of plane.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jmoore32fever View Post
    where to buy the wrist band pictured in post #31 need a lanyard as well if anyone could also point me in that direction thanx
    Here you go.

http://www.tresmartinperformance.com...page=out&id=32

I have mercury lanyards and Lifeline jackets in stock as well.

Happy Holidays,

Brad

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BRAD SCHOENWALD View Post
    Here you go.

http://www.tresmartinperformance.com...page=out&id=32

I have mercury lanyards and Lifeline jackets in stock as well.

Happy Holidays,

Brad
    Hey Brad, paypal has been sent for a Red one... Happy Holidays to you too!

19. Collapse Details

used to keep them clipped to my belt loops and was always killing the engines when I move to get something; now I keep them attached to a wrist band
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

20. Collapse Details

Where to buy the merc. Lanyard?