Thread: Turbine rigging

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

The idea of the outside rudders is to compliment the flow of clean water directly to the wheel, as a result no forward turbulance is created by an intersecting forward rudder---what kind of a kicker does he use ? does it look like a water jet 2-U. Oh and G. the rockers look fixed. What year is the hull and length ? I like the v-in the rear part of the tunnel. Think they did away with it flat NOW. Rik fill us IN -- and I like the steering position indicators nice extra. But @ 190 it is the least of your concerns ! atriot:

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BradH View Post
    Something to think about...because of the geometry of his drives, every time he steers side to side the height of the propeller in the water changes.

Are the little rudders on each drive really necessary?

Are the plates on each sponson movable?
    I don't think the geometry actually changes. I think that the rams on top of the drive would push down on the drive when the drive is going towards the outside to counteract the placement of the side rams being higher then the drive itself. so it would actually move level from side to side instead of up. mind you I have no real idea. but just an idea

3. Collapse Details

correct: they being the drives, swing in the same plane; not in and up and down ark as they travel side to side when steering ! or do they ?

4. Collapse Details

There is so much to it.

More than meets the eye so to speak.

The Rocker Plates are adjustable from a push of a button. The steering indicator has nothing to do with the docking or running the boat.

The twin fin rudders do make the boat corner like its on rails.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    There is so much to it.

More than meets the eye so to speak.

The Rocker Plates are adjustable from a push of a button. The steering indicator has nothing to do with the docking or running the boat.

The twin fin rudders do make the boat corner like its on rails.
    The steering indicator steers the jet ski motor right?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
    The steering indicator steers the jet ski motor right?
    No...Actualy look closely at the steering rams they have a cable indicator
    mounted in parrel to it.]

This I would assume lets "Jet man Fusco" know where is Arnesons are at.

7. Collapse Details

I,m with Brad on the steering geometry.

There is a arch as the steering cylinders extract or expand.

Think of a smiley face not the one on Mikes face when hes driving it.

Tango I think ya hit it right on with the twin Rudders.

8. Collapse Details

I dug up a article in a old Extreme magazine.

Ron Polli had the oportunity to drive with him and the rockers act as a brake.
    Almost slaming him into the dash. The boat traveled in 12 inches of water
    shreading seagrass like a toro lawn mower. Corners like it is on rails.
    Took him to 187mph.

Turbines and Arnesons Baby!

9. Collapse Details

K.R. I, that is me, beg to differ, on the steering - GEO. it has to stay in plane ! the out side rams just angle up or down with the movement side to side. Look @ "CAVEMAN" pics ! U want 2 arm wrestle on this ! Yep and I agree turbine + Arnesons///then there are 6's on the shelf. SO Rik the steering ind. are for simpliciy ie: are my drives straight on the trl, guys ? K.R. can ya post the "Ron Poli" article ? and where the H---is my H2O

10. Collapse Details

Brad and K.R. u thhhhhe man, but think of a compass drawing a circle with a stationary pin, it travels in a plane on a flat surface, the upper ram has a stationary so to speak center point. think what would happen if it did a complete circle based on the upper ram's center point it would draw a circle on a flat surface "knot" a roller coaster pattern. Rik, can ya help- - - - :auto: But, then again where is the pivot point in the drive - Awh, maybe that is the answer and part of the reason for the wedged transom drive spacers ? ok U win-- 's but then again we are not talkin 90* center points if the steering system did a complete circle the drives would actually start to dip @ 90* point left or right and then dip below or pass thru the rear sponsons. Whattta ya guys think ? as they travel left and right is there an arc ? is it an upside down 1 ?

11. Collapse Details

Wedge adapters? Not on Fusco's boat. The drop box units have a wedge cast into them but this is the same for Merc drives.

The indicators are there for the tie bar indicator nothing more. This version has no mechanical tie bar hence it is a "hydraulic" tie bar and an indicator to tell you if the drives are parallel.

The Rocker Plates are not a brake. Polli some times has a tough time with things it appears and Fusco certainly doesn't clear things up They can create bow lift or bow down by the push of a button. This takes the porpoise out of the hull at those speeds also.

The drives will toe in/out on this design. I've changed this on the newest designs so that they do not do this anymore. (hence mechanical tie bar)

The outboard has no connection to the drive units. There is an indicator cable on the dash though that tells you where it is.

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Wedge adapters? Not on Fusco's boat. The drop box units have a wedge cast into them but this is the same for Merc drives.

The indicators are there for the tie bar indicator nothing more. This version has no mechanical tie bar hence it is a "hydraulic" tie bar and an indicator to tell you if the drives are parallel.

The Rocker Plates are not a brake. Polli some times has a tough time with things it appears and Fusco certainly doesn't clear things up They can create bow lift or bow down by the push of a button. This takes the porpoise out of the hull at those speeds also.

The drives will toe in/out on this design. I've changed this on the newest designs so that they do not do this anymore. (hence mechanical tie bar)

The outboard has no connection to the drive units. There is an indicator cable on the dash though that tells you where it is.
    So the steering rams are hydraulicly independent of each other?
    Or does he just tweak the wheel to get it true on the indicators.

Eithier way its on my list for next years project.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by tango View Post
    Brad and K.R. u thhhhhe man, but think of a compass drawing a circle with a stationary pin, it travels in a plane on a flat surface, the upper ram has a stationary so to speak center point. think what would happen if it did a complete circle based on the upper ram's center point it would draw a circle on a flat surface "knot" a roller coaster pattern. Rik, can ya help- - - - :auto: But, then again where is the pivot point in the drive - Awh, maybe that is the answer and part of the reason for the wedged transom drive spacers ? ok U win-- 's but then again we are not talkin 90* center points if the steering system did a complete circle the drives would actually start to dip @ 90* point left or right and then dip below or pass thru the rear sponsons. Whattta ya guys think ? as they travel left and right is there an arc ? is it an upside down 1 ?
    The steering cylinders are on a different plane then the pivot point
    of the prop shafts.

Wedge plates only change the angle of attack of the prop in relation to
    the water. More "trim" or less depending on the wedge being at the base
    or the top.

Coronas and Wings on me and will discuss

14. Collapse Details
    Arneson steering
    An example of how trim effects steering of the earlier design on my Boat -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-pJKdQiTs

A pic. of the new awsome ASD 7. Steering rams mounted parrell.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails asd7.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by DONZI View Post
    An example of how trim effects steering of the earlier design on my Boat -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb-pJKdQiTs

A pic. of the new awsome ASD 7. Steering rams mounted parrell.
    Mind you, the one on your Donzi is far less noticable than on the standard ones.

With the new steering of the #7 there is no movement.

Gerry, the hydraulic tie bar is adjustable from the cockpit for the different trim settings.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    of the prop shafts.

or the top.

Wedge plate are only there for the alignment of the engine. The early drop box drives used a separate wedge plate to accomplish two things.

1. Compensate for the compound angle that occurs when you tilt the drives

2. Allow the engine to be mounted in a more level plane rather than the angle of the transom (this is the same on the #6 Merc)

17. Collapse Details

Here are some other installs.

Some are Turbine Marine creations aswell as MTT Technologys.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails geicoturbine.jpg   amf.jpg   turb2.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Some of the notable differences is fresh air intakes and water jacketed
    exhaust.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails turb3.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by KnotRight View Post
    of the prop shafts.

or the top.

yes, we will discuss, but a few Coronas will not tip the scales on the geometric analysis that will be required on let's say my super model against yours ! and again don't try to change the equation or direction of attack ! Bring it back to the total revolution prospective and pivot point and u-will sea the arc is inverted from the on-lookers view from the rear of the transom. Can any 1 sketch a cone shape 4-me with no movement of trim angle thru. the complete drives possible revolution/circumference ! and include/keep in mind the center to center/axis reference point of the cone's center line being the upper trim ram and fulcrum point of the drive. Ken what's up ? G Vac.soon, u-need it ?

20. Collapse Details

K.R. is the middle pic., of the AMF 51' Outerlimits V-bottom, in post 97, before the exhaust change ?