1. Collapse Details
    MSD 6M-2l Rev Limiter chps
    Cool
    I am looking for a 6200 - 6600 RPM chip for the MSD 6M-2L box. I currently run a 565 BB with a mechanical roller. My peak horsepower is at 5900 RPM and MSD's 6000 chip starts knocking out cylinders at 5700. So I am looking for a bigger chip if someone has one the don't use.
    As I say it can be 6200- 6600.
    Thanks!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Teague always advertises that they have chips from 4000 to 8000 in 200 RPM increments. Have you checked with them?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Just checked out Teague, they show the picture of the kit that MSD use to sell, but under the picture is nothing.. MSD made the kit for a short time and now they don't. The kit was 6200-7000 in 200 RPM increments.
    Holley states that the 6000 chip should be good to +/- 50 RPM, but on the Dyno this chip starts affecting the engine at 5700 RPM. As the engine makes peak horsepower at 5900 RPM, I kind of want the limiter chip slightly above that in case the prop catches some air. With a mechanical roller you build RPM real fast!

4. Collapse Details

Unplug the chip. Spin them up tight

5. Collapse Details

Not an option for a solid roller, if the prop comes out of the water the engine can spin up to 8000 or more RPM in a heartbeat. Without a load on the engine you are playing with dynamite with the fuse lit!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Did you call John at Teague's?

7. Collapse Details

Did you call MSD..

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Good point.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Should have been the first question we asked probably.

10. Collapse Details

Msd/ Holley were no help. He had some chips 5400 and 5800. To low! I then went to the internet and searched on MSD's part #87466 and started calling. I found one place in Australia that had 2, but they don't ship overseas. I then found "Pierside Parts" in Hunington Beach Ca, and they had some. I have the 6000-6800 modules coming now. About 20 phone calls all over the country, but I got lucky!
    While I was looking I found forums for MSD equipment. It seems that it is normal for a module to start cutting out cylinders 200-300 RPMs early! I am planning on putting in the 6400 Module which should protect the engine and give me my max horsepower that I want.
    Thanks to everyone for the assist! You would think MSD would still have the parts when they sell the product still. After all it is just an encapsulated resister! From the forums it list the resister ohms for whatever RPM you want.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Cool.

When you get a chance, maybe you could put a link up to the places that helped you. We could then copy that and put a MSD assist thread up in the engine section so a search would help people in the future.

Or just start a MSD thread yourself in the engine section.

12. Collapse Details

I went on a search on the internet and finally found them on Huntington Bach, Ca. http://www.piersideparts.net/ , this is surprising as they are mainly a Volkswagon parts supplier. And the good news is it sounds like they had more! The parts arrived today and they are just what I wanted so I will put in the 6400
    RPM module in my MSD wiring and be good to go in the spring.
    When I searched on the internet there was data that showed the ohms readings for different RPM. I chose not to build my own as a marine environment is damp at best. And the modules from MSD plug into the harness and are sealed units.

13. Collapse Details

Here is some places that helped; http://www.dragstuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2447 - This is a forum that tells you the modules start cutting out cylinder 200-300 RPM early. It also tells you the Ohm reading up to 9400 RPMs if you want to build your own module!