Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That is also an odd step design.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scariano 38.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	81946
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    So far I can find out nothing on the boat's history other than what is on ebay.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Bulbous.
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

I know a little bit about this boat... I've been watching it for 15 years or so now

This boat has been in Clear Lake, Texas for a LONG time, hardly ever used. It was in the El Lago marina in a sling in the late 1990s and early 2000s, then moved to Millers Machine Shop on 146 on a trailer under a car port for about ten years, then sat outside with a old cockpit cover on it that always seemed to be full of water until 2015. It was always for sale and the price got down to around 35k last time I stopped by. It's a good looking boat, a one off custom build by Frank Scariano (passed away a while ago), he owned the Scariano boat building company out of New Orleans. It looks like the design was derived from a Fino:

I know one guy who saw it running once, said it threw a huge rooster tail, made all kinds of noise, and was going about 45mph. It's a heavy heavy boat and pretty dam big, and yes the steps are real odd, they do have functional venting though!

I talked to the guy and looked at the boat a couple weeks ago, thinking I might put it back together if I could get it at the right price, or at least get it for what I could sell the motors/drive for if the hull was just too far gone.

Well I got there, and really got to look inside the boat for the first time. The entire hull is rotten, the stringers all need to be replaced, the floor is half gone, the deck core is rotten, the paint is cracked and peeling off the hull, there is 10" of water in the bilge from the cockpit to the bow (it's currently sitting in a field, covered in mold, uncovered, tilted forward on the trailer which is sitting in the dirt), the cockpit interior is gone and the cabin is what you see in the pics. I am also suspect of the hull and gunnels, it was hard to tell but it seemed cored and sounded soft when tapped on, but again it was hard to tell. The hull is sagging where it's not supported on the trailer, another indication of the failed stringer system. I have saved some badddd hulls from the scrap yard but in my opinion this one is too far gone, best you could do is brace it, fair it, and pull a mold if you REALLY wanted one haha

The pictures of the boat running in the ad are from 2015 before the current owner bought the boat from Millers Machine Shop. It hasn't run since, the batteries are gone, and the wiring is a bit torn up as show in the helm pictures. The engines/drives/steering were "rebuilt" but that was a long time ago, they are dirty and have no documentation. They would likely run with some work, but one could be a counter rotating engine with the old ASDs (17-21s), I didn't look that close.

The owner is a nice guy, who I think paid too much for a boat that needed a TON of work. I really wanted to save it but he wasn't willing to come down anywhere near what a couple used, 20+ year old big blocks and ASD 17-21s are worth. Just to get it out of the field it's in would take me the better part of a weekend and $500 for tires/lights/god knows what else.

7. Collapse Details

Interesting. Thanks for posting.