Thread: Off Limits

1. Collapse Details
    Off Limits
    Offshore Islands closed to powerboats
    BY TIMOTHY O'HARA Citizen Staff
    tohara@keysnews.com
    National wildlife refuge managers will again close the beaches at three offshore islands off Key West next month to deter large crowds of powerboats and their crews from

congregating on them.

Refuge managers will close off the beaches at Boca Grande, Woman Key and Marquesas Keys during the weekend of Nov. 12-13 when the annual powerboat races occur in Key West
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Registered
    More tree hugger bullchit.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    This was caused two years ago when the refuge managers warned the poker run organizers not to organize a get together at those islands in the refuge. And, if some people still showed up, make sure they did not fly helicopters over the boats that were there because of the migrating bird population.

They agreed to do those things, then had the island get together anyway and had the helicopter shooting pictures and video also. The refuge managers were so pissed they talked about sending out fines, but settled for a "Never Again" approach instead. Plus cancelled the permit to have the poker run up by Key Largo added as a new event.

Now no one can do either........
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sonicss31 View Post
    More tree hugger bullchit.
    I dis agree. Its just a lack of respect. Plain and simple. Not too different from eating your lunch in your car and throwing your trash out the window.

5. Collapse Details

I wouldn't defend the poker run group under any circumstance but this smacks of an arbitrary and capricious position by these Feds. Sure would like to have a Federal judge review this to decide if it's an abuse of discretion.

6. Collapse Details

I favor a balance here.
    No throwing of the trash, so to speak. And no hyper-uber enforcement due to some personal offense.

7. Collapse Details

Registered
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I dis agree. Its just a lack of respect. Plain and simple. Not too different from eating your lunch in your car and throwing your trash out the window.
    I concur with you on that but I can't stand "Blanket Punishment ". Fine the chit out of those individuals that don't adhere to the laws that are already in place but closing Federal lands doesn't solve a thing. It only punishes the good citizens like myself that own a home in the Keys and cannot share some of the awesome places down here with my family that only get to come visit a few times a year.

8. Collapse Details

They could rent Ballast Key for the Day...plenty of room....just stay on the trails (unexploded Ordinance )
    Parabellum FJ²B