1. Collapse Details
    Bermuda | Around The Island Powerboat Race, August 14 2016
    Blog Entries
    The 2016 Rubis Around the Island Power Boat Race was held on Sunday afternoon [August 14], with the event getting underway from Ferry Reach, leading to an afternoon of powerboats racing around the island in a bid to claim the fastest time.

In the lead up to race-day, eighteen boats had signed up to participate and today, eighteen boats took to the start line in their respective classes, under clear skies.

This year’s race was sponsored by Rubis, Freisenbruch-Meyer Group, PW’s, International Sports Shop and Barritt’s.

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Co-pilot injured in Around the Island race

Kim McCallan, the Bermuda Power Boat Association vice-commodore, suffered non-life-threatening injuries after a crash in the annual Rubis Around the Island Power Boat Race.

The 21-foot catamaran that Ms McCallan was competing in as a co-pilot with driver Howard Ascento barrel-rolled yesterday while rounding Five Star Island, throwing both occupants out of the cockpit and into the water.

Race debutant Ms McCallan was whisked away in a crash boat to nearby Jews Bay to an awaiting ambulance and taken to hospital where she was treated for a facial cut and bruising. Mr Ascento was unharmed.

“I spoke to Ms McCallan who I wouldn’t say is all right,” Henry Talbot, the BPBA commodore, said.

“She has no broken bones but does have a cut above her eye, which required stitches. Her shoulders are bruised up while

she has a few bruised spots on her body as well.”

A visibly shaken Mr Ascento spoke briefly about his harrowing ordeal back at Ferry Reach.

“I guess I went into the corner too hot trying to catch the boat in front of me,” he said. “We both got ejected from the boat. I just hope that she [McCallan] is all right.”

Out of concern for Ms McCallan, the post-race prize ceremony scheduled to be held at Ferry Reach was postponed.

“I made the decision not to have the presentation in respect of Ms McCallan, our vice-commodore, who is still at the hospital,” Mr Talbot said.

“We’re probably now going to have the presentation on Saturday at Spanish Point Boat Club.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/art...late=mobileart

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Injured McCallan determined to race again

Kim McCallan has vowed to continue racing after suffering multiple injuries in a crash during Sunday’s Rubis Around the Island Power Boat Race.

The Bermuda Power Boat Association vice-commodore was treated in hospital for a broken elbow, a concussion, a cut above her eye that required stitches, as well as bruising on various parts of her body.

McCallan was injured after being thrown from the racing catamaran she was competing in as a co-pilot that barrel-rolled while rounding Five Star Island.

Less than 24 hours after being discharged from hospital, a courageous McCallan said she would compete in the annual racing spectacle again after her debut in this year’s race was cut short by the mishap on Howard Ascento’s 21-foot boat.

“It was definitely not the debut I had envisioned, but I would definitely do it again,” McCallan said. “As they say, when you fall off a horse it’s better to get back on and try it again, and so I would definitely do it all over again.”

The mother of one has very little recollection of the accident.

“We were going at speed and everything was good until Five Star Island,” she said. “I remember seeing Five Star Island but I don’t remember the boat flipping over or whatever it did. Things happened so fast.

“I do remember being underwater and resurfacing and also being pulled out of the water onto a boat. I found out afterwards that the guys that pulled me out of the water were the America’s Cup guys [Oracle Team USA] who were so nice to me.”

McCallan praised all of those who came to her rescue.

“I would like to thank the crash boat that was assisting the Bermuda Power Boat Association in the area of Five Star Island, the America’s Cup team [Oracle], the police and St John Ambulance,” she said. “I would also like to thank the doctors and nurses that attended to me at the hospital and, of course, my committee colleagues and everyone else who has reached out to me with well wishes and their concern.”

McCallan’s elder sister, Debbie Correia, was working at the race control centre at the start-finish line when the sobering news about her sibling’s ordeal reached Ferry Reach.

“We got a call that there was a crash with a red boat that turned out to be D-4 and everyone in the area just went dead silent,” she said.

“I looked at Ernie [Mello, the race director] and said ‘that’s Kim’s boat’ and he said ‘I know’ and then I went silent. I didn’t know what to do or think and was like ‘please let her be okay’.

“Everybody said go to the hospital but I just sat there expecting my sister to call and say they are fine, but that call never came.”

Correia eventually went to the hospital to be by her sister’s side in the emergency room.

“When I saw that she was injured but still with us it was a big sigh of relief for me,” she said. “She was hurting and emotional so I was trying to remain calm to keep her calm. She was injured and I did not let her see my reaction, which wasn’t easy.”

Before the start of the annual 54-mile race, Correia extended her well wishes to her sister.

“I told her to be safe, enjoy it and I love you,” she recalled. “Those were words we don’t always say to each other, but something was making me say it.

“All she said to me was ‘thank you’ and I could see the emotion in her; she was excited and nervous. She wouldn’t say she was, but I knew because I could feel it.

“She picked up her safety equipment and walked down to her boat, and that was the last I saw of her until the emergency room.

“On behalf of our family I would like to thank everyone that came to her rescue.”

http://www.royalgazette.com/motor-sp...-to-race-again

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Can organisers help keep us ‘foolish’ boat race spectators safer?

Dear Sir,

Congratulations to the participants and organisers of the past weekend’s Round The Island Powerboat Race. What a mouthwatering, heart-stopping spectacle.

My crew and I had a first-hand view of the race from our boat, anchored off Pompano Beach.

The first boat to reach us was an A class boat that was leading the race. I noticed it was reducing the throttle as it was trying to decide a line to steer through the spectator craft and persons swimming in the water. Right behind was a faster boat doing the same. They were literally 20 feet away from our boat.

I thought to myself, ‘Wow, that was cool’, but then a bit of apprehension set in. What if these boats did not see the swimmers or lost steering control and veered suddenly out of control, crashing into another boat or, worse still, injuring someone?

By then, it was too late for me to move out of possible danger, as the bigger SS class were upon us. My nerves began to get the better of me as I became increasingly nervous. I notified my crew to be alert and to watch the boats closely in case of the need to take evasive action, such as jumping out of harm’s way.

All the SS class boats passed within 20 feet of us. What a thrill, but also how stupid was I to put the safety of all aboard in jeopardy.

Next year I hope to watch the race again, but from a farther distance away; my crew’s lives and mine will not be at stake.

Perhaps the organizers can put down markers so as to create a lane that the boats can race down and at the same time keep us foolish spectators far enough away.

Well, thank you to all involved for making the race a wonderful event, and long may it continue.

THRILLED, BUT NERVOUS

http://www.royalgazette.com/letters-...ectators-safer

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    If an award for bravery existed in her sport, Kim McCallan would certainly be among the leading nominees for such an honour.

The Bermuda Power Boat Association vice-commodore suffered multiple injuries when the catamaran she was racing in as co-pilot barrel-rolled while rounding Five Star Island during the Rubis Around the Island Power Boat Race in August.

McCallan was treated for a broken elbow, a concussion, cut above her eye that required stitches as well as bruising, which she suffered after being thrown from the 21-foot boat.

Remarkably, two weeks after the potentially life-threatening accident the mother of one overcame her fears and resumed racing. But she admits getting back into the cockpit was not as straight forward as anticipated.

“It was a tough decision, but I knew I had to get back in and it was hard to get back in,” she said. “I ended up switching seats with the driver and drove but upon approaching a turn I froze. I had flashbacks of what I can recall of the accident and tears streamed down my face.”

Having overcome her fear, McCallan is now keen to compete in next year’s Around the Island Race — albeit with a slightly different twist.

“I do plan to try Around the Island again,” she said. “Hopefully next time I will finish and in my own boat.”

McCallan’s ordeal have given her a new appreciation on the things she cherishes most.

“I have learnt that life is precious and never take anything for granted,” she said. “I have learnt that those closest to me, especially my sister and daughter, are the ones that matter in my life.”

Even though loved ones have reservations about her racing again, McCallan said they respect her decision and have offered their full support.

“I think friends and family think I’m nuts, but they encourage me to follow my dreams,” McCallan said.

“The concern will always be there. But those closest to me know that I’m a thrill seeker.

“I grew up on the ocean and around boats, so I guess it’s in my blood. Having two immediate family members that raced got me interested in the sport, the passion is there.”

McCallan said she has a point to prove every time she competes.

“As a female being involved in a man’s sport you are ridiculed,” she said. “You can’t do it because you’re a woman but I always say, ‘Tell me I can’t and I will prove you wrong’. I would encourage any young girl or female to follow your dream, set high standards and follow through with them, and love what you do and do it with passion.”

http://mobile.royalgazette.com/ameri...late=mobileart