1. Collapse Details
    Sarasota boat races...big changes this year?
    Local media are reporting the following:

DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - "Miss Super Boat Grand Prix” Bikini Contest on Friday July 1, 2016 which was renamed and reformatted in 2015 to the Miss Hooters Swimsuit Pageant

DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - Festival Parade of Boats

DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - Powerboats by the Bay where you can see the Powerboats up close on display, food and vendors, too.

Those are the facts being reported. Now lets has some intelligent rational conversation.

Race schedule shows four, yes four AQUAX PRO RACES and three Invitational Classes that are 'offshore' classes. The race registration form shows three sanctioning bodies, U.S.A SUPERSTOCK, POWERBOAT P1 and aqua cross. I do not recognize any of these as being 'offshore boat racing' organizations?

Can anyone clarify are 'offshore racing' teams are going to show?

As a long time offshore racer I love to race; however, is current offshore race teams show up at venues that choose not to hire and pay for the real deal offshore sanctioning bodies, is this self defeating for the future of the sport? Am I the only one that remember last year at Sarasota and all the hyper over the 'new' sanctioning body LOL, where are they now? I am sure this will set some folks off...I am just thinking out loud.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'll try to explain the best I can.

I am surprised at some of the things you are showing as cancelled though. These three make no sense to me at all.
    DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - "Miss Super Boat Grand Prix” Bikini Contest on Friday July 1, 2016 which was renamed and reformatted in 2015 to the Miss Hooters Swimsuit Pageant
    DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - Festival Parade of Boats
    DISCONTINUD FOR 2016 - Powerboats by the Bay where you can see the Powerboats up close on display, food and vendors, too.

Two years ago, SBI was on a drive to make sure they could put out a 3 year schedule. They wanted every current venue at that time to sign a minimum three year contract. Sarasota could not provide that three year contract because they are supported by some local governments that do a new budget every year. So, SBI pulled out of Sarasota and recreated the Marathon race. The first year they put it on at the exact same time as Sarasota. (Supposedly because that was when the powers in charge of Marathon wanted it. But, Marathon did not want it on their already busy 4th of July weekend and instead changed it to this weekend this year). Rumors are SBI did that only to hurt Sarasota as much as possible. I completely stay out of that conversation.

So, Sarasota, one of the longest running offshore events around, went looking for new possibilities. Behold, last year was the organization of the all new OPGP with Sheik Hassan and Steve Curtis. Sarasota contracted with them to put on their race. But, the Sultan of Qatar retired, and put his son in charge of the country. The son was not as fond of motor sports as his father. So he pulled the plug on support of the OPGP and the drag racing organization they supported.

So Sarasota was/is in a mess with having an offshore race and continuing their long term event.

P1 is licensed with the UIM and APBA. They are authorized to put on boat races all over the world, and currently have Superstock USA boats and Superstock UK boats. They also have Aqua Cross, personal watercraft races, in both countries. As a licensed division of APBA, they can also put on an offshore invitational race anywhere, as long as they show the APBA they can meet the safety requirements to receive a sanction.

So, on behalf of Sarasota, they put all of the pieces in place to sanction the Sarasota race, and also add three offshore classes. Now, I believe they would add more classes if a minimum of three boats in a class said they wanted to participate in the event. That may already be going on, I do not know. The three classes they are mentioning are the three spec classes, not the GPS classes.

This year is the second year they are putting on the event without SBI, but P1 should put on a pretty good show. There should be 9 Superstock boats running multiple heats. Up to 50 personal watercraft running multiple heats, (first turn is a mess)! And I'm not sure how many offshore boats, but the purse for the offshore classes is $60,000 total so I expect a good turnout. That is one of the larger purses of any offshore race. I know of both OPA and SBI boats coming.

Anyway, Sarasota is to be commended as to how hard they have worked to continue to put on an offshore event. Hopefully longterm it continues to improve. With their current arrangement, the action is definitely increased in total. Even if there may not be as many offshore boats.

I'll see if I can find out who are coming for sure. I believe the three classes they are mentioning are Superstock Outboard, Super Vee Lite, and Supercat. I have to believe they will also have some GPS classes there, but do not know for sure.

Are you sure the parade and the viewing are cancelled? That makes no sense to me.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Thanks, good update. I did not know much about P1.

Living locally, I can not commend Sarasota, but rather advise them to pay up, sign term contracts, and get the 'real deal' offshore racing. Last year was so bad for the sport locally, so may business got burned, and many tell me never again.

I also know of some SBI OPA boats coming....we all love to race, but at I previously mentioned in the long run it is self-defeating for the sport. I look at it this way, if real boats show up, then what is the incentive to pay up, sign up and get the 'real deal' offshore racing. If no real boats show up, then perhaps there is an incentive to enter into negotiations and discussions with the 'real deal' offshore sanctioning bodies.

Multiple local Sarasota sources have it in print that those three components of the event are cancelled for 2016.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Some info:
    There are 24 boats total registered to race at the SBI Marathon race this weekend.
    There were 32 boats total at the last OPA race in Atlantic City.
    There are currently 26 "regular" offshore boats registered for Sarasota, 9 P1 Superstock boats registered for Sarasota, and 52 Personal Watercraft registered for Sarasota.

http://sarasotapowerboatgrandprix.or...ed-race-teams/

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Sarasota boat parade to be replaced by block party
    Ray Collins, Jun 22, 2016

SARASOTA, Fla. (WWSB) - For the past 32 years, racing boats have been towed down Main Street in Sarasota with tens of thousands of spectators lining the parade route.

But not this year.

The cost of security and an issue with construction at North Palm Avenue where the boats usually exited contributed to the change.

"The city purchased new bicycle metal barricades for outdoor events and there are certain events they require they go up at, and the festival's parade of boats was one of those," said Lucy Nicandri, event organizer and head of Suncoast Charities for Children.

So instead of a boat parade, Nicandri says they're going to line up 30 boats on Main from Orange to Five Points.

"Many of the race sites do what's called a 'boats on Main block party,' so now it can be a more fan friendly event," she explained.

Ron Soto is head of the Downtown Merchants Association. He says a block party won't bring the same number of people downtown. He wishes the city would try to help bring down the costs.

"It would be nicer if the city could do something 'in-kind' (barter) for it. It's a great event and it's a shame it's not going to happen this year," Soto said.

City Manager Tom Barwin says it was Suncoast Charities' decision not to move forward with the parade - and so far he hasn't heard much disappointment.

"People who are aware of what's going on will continue to attend the events all weekend," Barwin predicted.

As for Nicandri, who's just trying to raise funds for Suncoast Charities, she's trying to make the best of things. It was just a few months ago, the city forced her to move her Thunder by the Bay biker weekend out of lower Main Street.

"You have to work the best you can with the cards you are dealt," she said smiling.

The boat block party is Friday evening, July 1st, from 6-11pm. The power boat racing is the following Saturday and Sunday off Lido Key Beach.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local...f188ec623.html

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    23 boats came to race. One had issues the previous day so 22 boats total made starts.

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Sarasota Powerboat Grand Pix Festival guide
    By Rick Dakan , Herald-Tribune

The roar of racing boats has been enveloping Sarasota shores every summer since 1985, and this year’s Powerboat Grand Prix promises to be one of the biggest events yet. The races feature various sizes of powerful, thundering watercraft competing at the event produced by and benefiting Suncoast Charities for Children.

The headline Super Stock races are Saturday and Sunday. They feature open canopy 28-foot Panther boats that are competing as part of the Powerboat P1 race circuit. Powerboat race teams compete in a variety of pro and amateur races in eight different classes, from production class boats to Extreme Class boats that can average over 150 mph.

The best way to watch is from a boat of your own (or a friend’s). There are designated spectator lines around the Lido Key race course area that let waterborne enthusiasts see everything as up close as safety allows. For those on a budget or who are landlocked, you can always watch from Lido Beach. For landlubbers with the means, a VIP race viewing ticket costs $100 and includes parking, a trolley ride to the Sandcastle Resort, free food, and a cash bar.

Local teams to watch include Alex And Ani competing against GEICO in the Extreme Class, AMH Construction and Twisted Metal competing within Super Vee Class, and War Paint and Sailor Jerry competing within the Super Cat Class. Local favorites in the AquaX races include Eric Lagopoulos and Jason Russo, both from Sarasota competing in the Pro Enduro Class.

Share the Beach

Powerboat Grand Prix organizers want to spread their “share the beach" message to raise awareness about protecting local wildlife during the event. To protect nesting sea turtles, beachgoers must refrain from setting up on the beach until sunrise. Always give right of way to manatees and do not touch them. Also boaters should know that new pass will be closed to public boat traffic on both race days from 8:30 am until 5 p.m.

Thousands of people watched the Sarasota Power Boat Grand Prix on Lido Beach Sunday, July 5. (July 5, 2015) (Herald-Tribune staff photo by Rachel S. O'Hara)
    Sarasota Power Boat Grand Prix on Lido Beach. STAFF PHOTO / RACHEL O'HARA / 2015

Boats on Main Block Party

The biggest free event that doesn’t involve actual racing, this block party involves some street closures and lots to do Friday. The powerboats and their races teams will be on display beginning at 6 p.m

Tampa band Luna Blue will be performing classic rock and modern pop tunes on stage throughout the night of the Block Party. In addition to live music there will be food vendors and other displays. All beverage festival merchandise sales in the street go directly to the charity.

The Alex And Ani race team on Main Street will be holding a “Charmed By Charity” event inside their store from 5 to 7 p.m. with 15 percent of the proceeds going to Suncoast Charities for Children.

Dry Pits

The dry pit area in the parking lot of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall (777 N. Tamiami Trail) will be open to the public Friday through Sunday with over 100 race teams on display, food and beverage vendors, along with tented seating area to watch the race teams launch. Due to the increased number of race teams participating, and what was once a one day race format changing to a two day race format, the dry pit area has evolved more into a working pit area.

"Most professional motor sport events, with national televised coverage, charge an admission into their pit areas," says Suncoast Charities for Children Executive Director Lucy Nicandri. "Suncoast Charities for Children, despite increased expenses and national televised race coverage by Fox Sports, is able to continue allowing the public free access into this area. We hope that the general public continues to enjoy not only the dry pit area but all the other festival events that remain free of charge: Boats On Main Block Party, Meet & Greet Who's In The Driver's Seat Reception, and two full days of racing off Lido Beach, and the July 4th Bayfront Fireworks."

Parade Canceled

The other Suncoast Charities for Children sponsored event, Thunder By The Bay, which takes place in January, drew criticism from some downtown businesses when it closed off large sections of downtown. This year, the Grand Prix will not feature a boat parade as it has in years past but Nicandri says that, “Discussions surrounding Thunder By The Bay have not impacted the Grand Prix Festival. A decision was made by the charity to expand the Block Party instead of a Parade of Boats this year.”

She notes that added expenses for 200 metal barricades, increased security and public works labor costs along with ongoing construction on Gulfstream and Cocoanut avenues factored into the decision.

Also, the popular bikini contest has been canceled.

"Due to the increase in the number, and size, of race teams competing this year compounded with the decision to conduct an expanded block party since there will not be a parade, more space was needed for setup,” Nicandri says.

Thousands of people watched the Sarasota Power Boat Grand Prix on Lido Beach Sunday, July 5. (July 5, 2015) (Herald-Tribune staff photo by Rachel S. O'Hara)
    Sarasota Power Boat Grand Prix on Lido Beach. STAFF PHOTO / RACHEL O'HARA / 2015

Schedule

“Grand Prix by the Sea” Kickoff Party
    6-10 p.m. Tuesday: Sarasota Yacht Club, 1100 John Ringling Boulevard; $100
    A party at the Sarasota Yacht Club featuring a silent auction, 50/50 raffle, and live music by Kettle of Fish. Tickets for purchase online for $100 at sarasotapowerboatgrandprix.org Proceeds go to support Suncoast Charities for Children.

Fleming's Fan Fest
    5-9 p.m. Wednesday; Fleming's Steakhouse, 2001 Siesta Drive, Sarasota; free admission
    Meet race teams at Fleming’s from 5 to 9 p.m. and enjoy a specially priced happy hour and purchase festival merchandise.

Meet & Greet Who's In The Driver's Seat Team Reception
    12-2 p.m. Friday; Hyatt Regency Ballroom, 1000 Boulevard of the Arts; $5 adults; 12 and younger free

Boats on Main Downtown Block Party
    6-11 p.m. Friday; downtown Sarasota

Friday Street Closings:

Main Street: Orange Ave. to Palm Ave. closing 3:30-11 p.m.
    Lemon Avenue.: First St. to State St. closing at 10 a.m.–midnight
    Central Avenue: Main St. to First St. closing 3:30-11 p.m.
    Pineapple Avenue: State St. to First St. closing 3:30-11 p.m.

GrandPrixCourse New SpectatorLine (1)

Super Stock Races
    Lido Beach; 400 Ben Franklin Drive, Lido Key

Saturday
    Superstock and Aqua X Races (qualifying) at Lido Beach, live race broadcast and activities at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
    Powerboat Open practice at Lido Beach 11:45 a.m. to 1:45 p.m.
    VIP Race Viewing at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. $100 per person

Sunday
    Powerboat Races at Lido Beach and P1 Superstock and AquaX Races (Final Round), live race broadcast and activities at Sandcastle Resort from 9 a.m. — 4 p.m., open to the public.
    VIP Race viewing at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach 9 a.m.-4 p.m., $100 per person
    Race team award presentations at Centennial Park at 5 p.m., open to the public

Bayfront Fireworks
    Monday, July 4
    Although not officially part of the Grand Prix, the Suncoast Charities for Children, in partnership with Marina Jack, helps raise the money to produce the Bayfront Fireworks.

The Suncoast Charities for Children

Proceeds from the Grand Prix go to the Suncoast Charities for Children, which organizes and presents the Powerboat Grand Prix and the Thunder by the Bay events to raise money for the Suncoast Foundation for Handicapped Children. According to the event’s organizer Nicandri, Suncoast Charities for Children “over the last two years, has provided over $234,000 in grant money to the Suncoast Foundation which has provided services so that program and service money can go directly to clients who need it the most.”

The money helps maintain facilities all over Sarasota County and last year provided services to approximately 8,000 special needs children, teens, adults and their families. According to the charity, the money has been used to renovate aging facilities, replace multiple air conditioning units, install a new security gate and a new roof at Community Haven, renovate playgrounds, repair parking lots, improve kitchens, and purchase a new equipment van for Sarasota County Special Olympics.

SARASOTA POWERBOAT GRAND PIX FESTIVAL
    941-487-7904; sarasotapowerboatgrandprix.org

http://ticket.heraldtribune.com/2016...estival-guide/

8. Collapse Details

Local media now reporting:

The dry pit area in the parking lot of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall (777 N. Tamiami Trail) will be open to the public Friday through Sunday with over 100 race teams on display, food and beverage vendors, along with tented seating area to watch the race teams launch. Due to the increased number of race teams participating, and what was once a one day race format changing to a two day race format, the dry pit area has evolved more into a working pit area.

Parade Canceled - his year, the Grand Prix will not feature a boat parade as it has in years past

Also, the popular bikini contest has been canceled.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    "Regular" offshore boats is now standing at 27 pre-registered.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You are attending Frank?

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Watching live on USTREAM.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Day one of Sarasota Grand Prix racing draws mixed crowd

For the second straight year, more boats and more races have made the Sarasota Grand Prix two days instead of one, but has it led to more spectators?

LIDO KEY, Fla. -- Jason Russo remembers watching the Sarasota Grand Prix long before he was a part of it.

"I came to every one from when I was a small child came here with my father, so obviously it was a highlight of my weekend being able to race for a second year in a row here," says Russo, now a member of the popular "Miss Geico" race team.

The Bayshore High School alum now runs jet skis on the AquaX circuit, one of the grand prix's new Saturday races.

"The watercraft racing is definitely something that I think a lot of people can relate to because this thing is not too far off what you can go buy from your local dealer, and actually come out and compete as an amateur," says Russo.

After decades of only powerboat races on Sunday, event organizer P1 added the jet skis and single-engine stockboat racing to the weekend last year.

"What we're really trying to do is show a full weekend of marine motor sport action with all different types of racing, and show really a progression of how you can evolve within the sport," says P1 managing director Azam Rangoonwala.

Some fans like Angela Stapley are still partial to the big boats.

"I want to see the monsters," says Stapley. "The jet skis were cool, I've never really seen them race, but yeah, I'm all about seeing the big boats, watching them launch."

Others simply didn't come, perhaps a year-wiser to the schedule. After a heavy Saturday turnout last year, vendors were surprised to see a slow turnout early.

"Just hoping for the best, hoping that after this race we'll have people coming in to get some food and drinks. It's been definitely a lot quieter," says Anatoliy Furmanov, who works the Lido Beach concession stand.

As the powerboats hit the water for a midday practice run, the crowd eventually rolled in. If you don't like the races, Emma Shetler says people should still come for the tailgate.

"Everybody gets to know everybody, we're in close quarters, everybody's really respectful and it's a great day out at the beach," she says.

P1 expects a much larger crowd for the powerboats Sunday, who are running their last race of the season, after which a national champion will be crowned.

http://www.mysuncoast.com/news/local...586765d00.html

13. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Ryan Beckley's Avatar
    P1 Superstock
    1- 07 Team Barbados
    2- 09 GEICO
    3- 31 HalloweenMega Store.com
    4- 15 Boatwrench
    5- 555 Frank & Al's Pizza
    6- 361 Von Vape / Xplode marketing
    7- 55 Penthouse Spirits
    8- 94 Visit Jacksonville
    9- 17 Crimeline

Unlimited
    1-113 Miss GEICO
    2- 11 Alex and Ani

Supercat
    1- 4 Cleveland Construction
    2- 38 War Paint

Super Vee
    1- 30 Legacy Builders / Twisted Metal
    2- 1 AMH Builders / Instigator

Super Stock / Cat Light
    1- S-19 Gettel Race Team
    2- S-111 Professional Plumbing
    3- S-12 JOYLAND

Super Vee Lite
    1- 2 BoatFloater.com
    2- 13 AlbrittonFruit.com
    3- 4 Team Octane

P1
    1- 117 Watt-Ahh

P3
    1- P3-23 Black Pearl / Boat Worx
    2- P3-8 VooDoo Offshore Racing
    3- P3-57 Color Me Fast

P4
    1- 404 Simmons Marine
    2- 411 Perdition
    3- P4-7 Get Rubber Mulch.com
    4- P4-24 Superior Asphalt Inc.

P5
    1- P5-40 Pump It
    2- P5-1 Two Cruel
    3- P5-28 Good News Pest.com / Knot Krazy
    4- P5-9 Team Raven
    5- P5-17 Hidden Harbor
    6- P5-62 On Edge Racing
    7- 9 Phantom 9

Aqua X had 51 racers on the PWC side.
    Last edited by Ryan Beckley; 07-05-2016 at 04:24 PM.
    Ryan Beckley

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    A good turnout.......

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries