1. Collapse Details
    new putt putt toy, 78 carrera ss7m
    Just picked up a 78 carrera ss7m with 454 (but needs rebuild) with stainless manifolds n threw hull exhaust. Has trs drive with a as rapter 23p prop out drive and trans were rebuilt, then motor went picked it up for $2500 with nice trailer (plus $1000 in gas and purchase of emergency vehicle when boat took out trans in truck 100 miles into the 600 mile trip home) the hull is solid paints showing its age interior was done few years ago but cracking a lil) was just wondering what its worth as is and what it word be restored? Just like to get an idea of were the point of no return is?

2. Collapse Details

Just like to get an idea of were the point of no return is?

About 100 miles into the 600 mile trip home, from what I gather, assuming that is a really nice trailer.

Do yourself a favor. Let go of the idea that there is even a remote possibility that this project will be anywhere near break even on the value of the boat. If you love Carerras, that's ok. Accept it. At least you only have one BBC to do. BBCs get expensive at like 5 times the rate of SBCs.

Congrats on your boat. The journey has just begun. If you stick with it, you will have a piece of history that you know like the back of your hand and are very proud of.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    In my mind, the point of no return is between $15,000 and $20,000. Anything over that and there is no way you'll recover it, (in my mind that is).
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

I am suspicious when anybody uses the word "recover" in regard to boat repair. (In my mind that is.)

Doesn't matter. It's a Carerra. I personally think it's worth it. But there won't be "recovery." I hope that doesn't get mistaken for discouragement. vogey is the man for having the passion to be responsible for a piece of history. I would be proud to own a Carerra. I think you need to factor some intangible things in this, like pride of ownership, etc. This isn't a "good investment." And that's ok. It isn't an apartment building.

Pics! Need pics!

5. Collapse Details

I think I broke him.

6. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Hope not, I'm waiting for updates and pics......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!