FALL RIVER — The Coast Guard has given preliminary approval to offshore power boat races in the Taunton River in August.

Now the real race is on, organizer Michael Lund said: The race for sponsors.

“My focus right now is fundraising,” Lund said Tuesday. “I’m looking for a major sponsor. “I’ve spoken with a lot of people.”

Lund, a former city councilor and owner of the Borden Light Marina, got the green light from the national Offshore Powerboat Association to run races on the Taunton River on Aug. 15. The OPA runs races around the country, mostly on the East Coast, featuring specially built racing boats that range up to 50 feet and are capable of travelling at more than 100 mph. The boats are so powerful that they can take off into the air and flip while flying.

Lund presented a race course that would start in the river, even with the Gold Medal Bakery and run up the river more than 2 miles, past Borden Light Marina and Battleship Cove before turning at Point Gloria and running a sweeping course back toward the start. There will be six classes of boats racing. OPA organizers say the races attract 25,000 to 35,000 spectators.
Lund said he has had several meetings with Coast Guard officers to keep them informed of his plans. “I crafted a preliminary action report based on what the Coast Guard is looking for,” Lund said. “They were happy.”

It is just one of several meetings that are necessary before the race can begin, Lund said. The race will be held during the week that Battleship Cove celebrates the 50th anniversary of the Battleship Massachusetts arriving in Fall River. “We are talking to make sure we don’t bump into each other,” said Brad King, the executive director of Battleship Cove. “We want to make sure we coordinate our activities.” King noted that the race course will run right alongside the Battleship Massachusetts.

“It is a perfect opportunity if people want to come on board to view the race,” King said. “It would be a perfect platform.”

The OPA held its first race at Seaside Heights, New Jersey. Races will be held this weekend at Lake Ozark in Missouri.

“It is all moving now,” Lund said. “It will all come down to the almighty dollar.”

http://www.heraldnews.com/article/20...NEWS/150609129