1. Collapse Details
    Charlevoix MI woman, Jamaican man die in BVI boat crash
    Blog Entries
    Come to find out, a friend of our boater friends in the Charlevoix area.

ROAD TOWN, British Virgin Islands (AP) — Authorities in the British Virgin Islands on Monday identified two people who died in weekend boat crash as a U.S. woman and a Jamaican man who were employed at a luxury resort.

The two workers of the Oil Nut Bay resort on the island of Virgin Gorda died over the weekend when the 38-foot inflatable boat they were traveling on slammed into a rock.

A Monday police statement identified the dead 27-year-old woman as Kari Anne Way, whose Facebook page says she hailed from Charlevoix, Michigan. The Jamaican man was identified as Howard Anderson.

Three other resort workers and one guest remain hospitalized in stable condition.

Police are continuing investigations into the deadly crash. They have not said who owns the inflatable boat.

http://news.yahoo.com/police-america...224905372.html

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Entire story and Photos: http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.c...confirmed-dead

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Accident Virgin Gorda 2015.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	79506

VALLEY, Virgin Gorda, VI – Close relatives, friends and persons with direct relations to the dead and some of the injured in the ill-fated boat accident in Virgin Islands waters yesterday morning January 24, 2015 have confirmed that Jamaican national Howard Anderson and Kari Way are the two that died.

Initial reports had indicated that those who were rushed to the Peebles hospital following the accident did not sustain life threatening injuries but this news site has had communication with persons with very close relations to two of those who said that Mincainton Laurent and Steve Fossi are in critical condition.

The best friend and confidant of Mincainton Laurent, still in tears up to late last night January 24, 2015 said that he was unresponsive with major injuries to the head. The very person has indicated that Fossi is no better.

Persons who work at the Oil Nut Bay Resort said that while they knew the other two who are said to be hospitalised, they were not sure of their names as they were relatively newly employed there.

This news site will continue to bring you further updates as the information becomes available.

See previous article published on January 24, 2015:

UPDATE: VISAR confirms woman’s body found

-2 now dead in tragic boat accident in Virgin Islands water involving boat transporting persons to Oil Nut Bay!

VALLEY, Virgin Gorda, VI – Virgin Islands Search and Rescue (VISAR) has confirmed that the body of a woman who went missing following this morning’s January 24, 2015 boat accident off Virgin Gorda has been found.

The search began for her following the accident during which a boat conveying staff of Oil Nut Bay resort crashed into a rock, leaving one man dead.

According to sources, the two who are now confirmed dead had resided at Oil Nut Bay, Virgin Gorda where they worked and at the time of the accident they along with several others were headed back to the resort from Valley, Virgin Gorda.

The man is said to have been an engineer attached to Oil Nut Bay resort.

We will provide further information when it becomes available.

See previous article published on January 24, 2015:

Man dead, woman missing in boat accident

VALLEY, Virgin Gorda, VI - This news site has confirmed that one man had died in a boating accident in the early morning hours of today January 24, 2015.

It has also been confirmed that Virgin Islands Search and Rescue (VISAR) personnel are searching for one woman who went missing during the boating accident.

According to the information received and confirmed by an inside Police source the vessel which had approximately a dozen persons on board was heading to Oil Nut Bay, Virgin Gorda when it apparently collided with a large rock in the dark of night.

Most of the persons managed to be rushed to safety but the one died and it is believed that a woman went under as she is missing from among those that were on board the vessel. Several other persons were rushed to Peebles Hospital but their condition was said to be non-life threatening.

We will provide further details as they become available.
    Last edited by Serious News; 01-27-2015 at 09:18 AM.

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looking at the rock, and where the boat ended up, it makes you wonder what the heck the driver was doing.

Our condolences to our friends up north who know the family. RIP
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Condolences also

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The funeral will be Saturday in Charlevoix.

6. Collapse Details

This is just tragic!! Awesome Gal!! Think'n bout ya Kari!!

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Kiwi boat captain charged with manslaughter over Caribbean crash

A New Zealand boat captain charged with manslaughter over a fatal crash in the Caribbean islands has spoken of his remorse over deaths of two "very close" friends.

Stephen Fossi, a New Zealand native and United States resident living in the British Virgin Islands, has been charged over the boat crash that that killed an American woman and a Jamaican man on January 26.

There were 12 people aboard, according to reports in Caribbean media.

Kari Anne Way of Charlevoix, Michigan and Howard Anderson of Jamaica were killed in the crash.

The pair were yacht crew and their captain, Fossi, was critically injured during the crash while they were en route to Oil Nut Bay resort where he was in charge of marine operations, nautical news site The Triton reported.

Prosecutors in court Friday, New Zealand-time, said the 45-year-old had been taking the group for entertainment when the boat hit a rock near the island of Virgin Gorda, Associated Press reported.

Photos of the crash site published by Caribbean media show the boat out of the water, perched on a rock.

Virgin Island News Online published a statement Fossi delivered to media outside court expressing remorse that those who died were close friends of his.

He had left the British Virgin Islands about 10 days after the incident to be with his family and get medical treatment for his own injuries, Fossi said.

He had taken legal advice to leave the territory, but while in the United States he learned charges had been laid against him over the crash and he had voluntarily returned to the islands.

"The accident is now the subject of two charges and before court. Accordingly, my lawyer has told me that I must not discuss anything that happened that night," The New Zealander stated.

"However I do want to say that I am devastated that two very close work colleagues and friends of mine died and three other colleagues and close friends were seriously injured in the accident.

I use this opportunity again today to extend to the families of the two people who tragically lost their lives, my very sincere condolences and prayers to those families. I also wish the three injured persons a speedy and complete recovery."

Fossi was not required to enter a plea when he appeared in court and was released on US$200,000 bond. According to reports, Fossi is allowed to leave the territory in which he has been charged while his case is adjourned.

- Stuff

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...aribbean-crash

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I guess we'll find out more of what happened.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

UPDATE: Fossi granted $200K bail; 'devastated'

- for two charges of manslaughter; allowed to leave territory

Stephen Fossi entering the Magistrate's Court on crutches today, March 26, 2015. Photo: VINO

ROAD TOWN, Tortola. VI - Embattled boat captain Stephen Fossi was granted bail in the sum of two hundred thousand dollars ($200,000) when he appeared in the Magistrate's Court moment's ago, March 26, 2015 on the charge of two counts of manslaughter.

The New Zealand national is also allowed to leave the territory during the adjournament of his case.

$60, 000 of the total bail sum is to be paid in cash, with the $140, 000 remaining to be covered by two signed sureties.

Fossi, 43, was the captain of the inflatable vessel, ‘The inevitable’, that allegedly hit a rock in the vicinity of Cow Mouth off Virgin Gorda on the night of January 24, 2015. Two passengers were killed in the accident.

When authorities arrived on the scene of the mishap they came upon the lifeless body of Jamaican national Howard Anderson on the deck of the boat while USA national Kari Anne Way‎ was found sometime after in the sea, also dead and with extreme damages to her lower extremities.

According to Magistrate Ms Ayana Baptiste-DaBreo, the bail amount proposed by Fossi's lawyer Patrick Thompson was "insufficient" while the Crown had proposed $100, 000.

Ms Baptiste-DaBreo also stated that she didn't impose any travel restrictions on Fossi since he had voluntarily returned to the territory to answer the charges.

Fossi is to return to court on May 27, 2015.

Devastated at death of work colleagues & close friends

Out of court, Fossi gave a statement to the media in which he expressed remorse at the tragedy and said the persons who lost their lives were very close friends of his.

"I left the BVI about 10 days after the accident after ensuring it was legally OK to do so. I traveled to the USA to be with my family and to receive medical treatment for injuries ‎I sustained in the accident.

While in the USA, I heard that charges had been laid against me in the BVI, arising from the accident. I immediately asked my BVI lawyers to make inquiries to see if this was correct. After a couple of days my lawyers confirmed that two charges had been laid. I immediately agreed a letter with my lawyers and sent this to the BVI prosecution authorities. I advised the authorities that I would voluntarily return to the BVI as soon as my medical progress permitted to answer the charges.

The accident is now the subject of two charges and before court. Accordingly, my lawyer has told me that I must not discuss anything that happened that night. However I do want to say, that I am devastated that two very close work colleagues and friends of mine died: and three other colleagues and close friends were seriously injured in the accident. I use this opportunity again today to extend to the families of the two people who tragically lost their lives, my very sincere condolences and prayers to those families. I also wish the three injured persons a speedy and complete recovery," Fossi stated."

Fossi ‘voluntarily’ returns to face manslaughter charges

- New Zealander was the captain of ill-fated vessel on January 24, 2015

Stephen Fossi, 43, a New Zealand national now residing in the USA was brought before the Magistrates Court at John's Hole today, March 26, 2015 to answer to two counts of manslaughter charges. The court was told Fossi voluntarily returned to the Virgin Islands for his court matter.

Fossi was the captain of the inflatable vessel, ‘The inevitable’, that allegedly hit a rock in the vicinity of Cow Mouth off Virgin Gorda on the night of January 24, 2015. Two passengers were killed in the accident.

When authorities arrived on the scene of the mishap they came upon the lifeless body of Jamaican national Howard Anderson on the deck of the boat while USA national Kari Anne Way‎ was found sometime after in the sea, also dead and with extreme damages to her lower extremities.

The Crown, represented by ‎Attorney O'Neil Simpson, told the court that the defendant had left Bitter End area that night, along with Anderson, Wray and two others and were believed to have been heading to Leverick Bay. They were allegedly engaged in some entertainment activities.

According to Simpson, the vessel allegedly hit a rock.

Bail application

The court also heard from the defendant's lawyer, Patrick Thompson, that Fossi voluntarily returned to the territory to answer the charges brought against him.

Mr Thompson told the court that his client had left the territory for the USA to advance surgery for his injuries sustained in the same accident. At the time of his departure, there were no charges laid against him.

The lawyer further said it was while overseas receiving medical care that his client inquired whether charges had been laid against him and was told 'yes'.

Furnished with this information, Thompson said Fossi indicated his intentions to return for the trial and soon travelled back to the territory where he turned himself over to the Royal Virgin Islands Police Force (RVIPF) where he was formerly arrested and charged.

At the time of making this information known in the court, Thompson was applying for bail. He presented his case as to why his client should be considered for bail and his ability to post such bail, first with surety under certain conditions as his client is no longer a resident of the VI, or in cash if the first option was not accepted by the court.

‎Magistrate Ms Ayana Baptiste-DaBreo then put the matter down to 3:00pm today to give the defense the ‎time requested to furnish the court with certain documents that would play a vital role in her decision for bail consideration.

Prior to the incident, Fossi was employed by Oil Nut Bay as the Director of Marine, a post he held for some 10 years. He is no longer an employee of the resort.

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.c...ail-devastated

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    This is another really tough case to watch with her being a good friend of some of our good friends.

11. Collapse Details

Very very sad all!! Had dinner w/ her youngest sister this past Saturday!! Seemed 2 B in good spirits!! Just saw that a few days ago the family lost a cousins child at like 6-7 months old!!! When it rains it pours!!! So so sad!!!

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Kiwi skipper escapes jail despite manslaughter finding
    KATIE KING

A New Zealand boat captain found guilty of the manslaughter of two passengers on a pleasure cruise in the British Virgin Islands has walked free from court.

After a lengthy and often emotional trial, Stephen Fossi, 47, was found guilty of two counts of manslaughter this week and fined $90,000 by the High Court in the Caribbean territory. By paying the fine he avoided a two-year prison sentence.

The court heard he had been having an affair with one of the victims, whose body was attacked by sharks after the crash.

The defendant was accused of crashing the 33-foot vessel Inevitable into rocks early on January 24 last year, killing passengers Kari Anne Way, 27, of the United States, and Howard Anderson, of Jamaica.

Prosecutor Valston Graham told the court Fossi was under the influence of alcohol and drove the vessel at an unsafe speed, failed to ensure that his passengers were wearing lifejackets, and neglected to turn on the GPS.

Graham said Fossi was not the kind of man that jurors should trust, given that he had admitted having an affair with Way and hiding it from his wife.

Fossi testified last week, claiming he was unsure how the crash occurred, as he has no memory of the moments leading up to the collision, but adamantly denied being intoxicated.

"I wish I could remember what happened," he said.

He believes a head injury he sustained in the accident caused memory loss.

Ad Feedback

At the time of the incident Fossi was employed as the director of marine operations for Oil Nut Bay, an exclusive resort community on Virgin Gorda, the third-largest island in the archipelago. .

He told the court that on the day of the crash he caught up with some co-workers at the resort at about 6pm, and drove them on the Inevitable to a yacht club

where the group spent five hours eating, drinking alcoholic beverages, and playing pool.

Shortly after 11pm, they moved on to a bar and cave in Spanish Town, the second-largest town in the territory.

Over the course of the evening, he had pizza, fries and a steak sandwich, and drank a vodka soda, two shots and two-and-a-half beers.

Fossi said the group eventually re-boarded the Inevitable with the intention of returning to Oil Nut Bay, and acknowledged that he was at the wheel when the boat departed from Spanish Town.

However, Fossi said he cannot remember if he remained at the helm, and said there is a possibility he had given the wheel to Way.

Mincainton Laurent, who was on board during the crash, testified that he heard Way ask to steer, but said he did not notice if she was permitted to drive.

Laurent said the boat crashed into the rocks a few minutes later, and recalled hearing the cries and screams of other passengers.

Forensic pathologist Dr Benjamin Mathis, who performed autopsies on Anderson and Way, told jurors that both victims suffered from blunt force injuries.

Way's body, which was recovered from the water, showed signs of scavenging by sharks.

Defence lawyer Rebecca Trowler argued there was no evidence to prove that Fossi was impaired by alcohol during the incident, or that he was even still driving the vessel when it ran into the rocks, as police failed to collect fingerprints or blood swabs from the scene.

The jury, however, ultimately found Fossi guilty of two counts of manslaughter, and Justice Nicola Byer ordered him to pay $45,000 per count by February 29, or serve two years in prison.

At sentencing, Justice Byer said she took into account Fossi's previous good character, and that he had cooperated with police and the courts.

She said he already suffered from emotional trauma, as the people killed in the incident were his co-workers and friends.

Way's mother Kris, who came from Michigan to attend the trial, said hearing the details of the crash was "horrible" but it had been important to represent her daughter, who had four sisters.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/america...ughter-finding

13. Collapse Details

Very sad all around!!!

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I was shocked to see he received no jail time.

15. Collapse Details

The way it reads, it sounds like they have evidentiary issues. The things they have been able to determine as facts make the crash seem avoidable/preventable.
    Very sad.