Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

2. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    Joel Halpern and Joey Ipolitto in the Bushmills California race in 1979. They were doing well and running up front with a pack.....but then....Nordskog decided to stand his 38 Scarab on it's tail and when itcame back down, it spun and rolled up on one side. Both of these guys stopped to help. They found the navigator in the bow of the boat. The mechanic who was Bob Teagues brother, Norm, was in the water, but hurt and Nordskog was knocked out...but he was still breathing. So they tied him with a rope to the tie bar and took off again to race. The two hurt racers spent a night or so in the hospital, but came out OK.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

3. Collapse Details

Cougar cat made of wood. Betty won World Championship with this boat in Venice Italy in 1979. This boat was last seen outside a shop in Massachusetts rotting away a few years ago. No word of it since then.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Joel Halpern and Joey Ipolitto in the Bushmills California race in 1979. They were doing well and running up front with a pack.....but then....Nordskog decided to stand his 38 Scarab on it's tail and when itcame back down, it spun and rolled up on one side. Both of these guys stopped to help. They found the navigator in the bow of the boat. The mechanic who was Bob Teagues brother, Norm, was in the water, but hurt and Nordskog was knocked out...but he was still breathing. So they tied him with a rope to the tie bar and took off again to race. The two hurt racers spent a night or so in the hospital, but came out OK.
    A race which you won I believe.....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Cougar cat made of wood. Betty won World Championship with this boat in Venice Italy in 1979. This boat was last seen outside a shop in Massachusetts rotting away a few years ago. No word of it since then.
    That is not the same cat that her husband started racing with, is it?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    That is not the same cat that her husband started racing with, is it?
    No He bought a cat that was formerly called Zippe and owned by Maury Fortney. This cat was built special for Betty for the 1979 season. Joel Halpern also ran two boats in 1979 as well as Rocky Aoki.

I spoke to Betty after the Bacardi race in May of 1979 and asked her not to bring the two boats. I said it was doubling the costs for anyone who wanted to compete. She disagreed and said it was a better way to be competitive. I said the cats were so fragile that the owners would start to complain to APBA, that they couldn't use their boats at rough race locations and the APBA would cave ......and pretty soon we would have Offshore races in bays and coves and small lakes and that would kill what we all loved about the sport. She disagreed as did Joel and Rocky and pretty soon we were racing in calm waters and a number of racers dropped out. Sandy Satullo, Preston Henn and I went over to IMSA and raced sports cars in endurance races like Daytona and Sebring and Road America.

Next they upped the ante again and approved Superboats. Same result with an exodus of racers. So, now we have the modern version of offshore where we have one or two boats race in a class all year and declare a championship. The Open class back in the day, would have up to 25 boats racing with at least 75% of them capable of a win.

7. Collapse Details

Bingo Charlie ! - You are so right ! Key West this last November, could be watched from the Harbor, No Sand Key, ! Lake racing soon ! might as well drop the name Ocean or Offshore Racing !

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    A lot of the races are currently lakes, rivers, and inshore protected areas.

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member

Tough one!! Most likely shot in 1986, Phil may be able to nail that down.

There are some differences of heritage on this boat. It is a 38' CUV designed by Don Shead. Some think it was a 1977 hull that started out as Alitalia Due, some think it is a 1982 hull that started out as Rothman's Ego. If you go with the 1977 theory, it would go like this: 1977 Alitalia Due, 1979 Dry Martini 2, 1981 Ego, 1982 Rothman's Ego (650 Merc's), 1984 Cinzano (repowered with 750 Lamborghini's), 1986 Eberhard & Co. (800 Lamborghini's), 1987 French purchase and abandoned by Marseille after a couple years, 2008 British purchase by Tim Grimshaw and restoration started, purchased and finished by Markus Hendricks (repowered with Ilmors), began racing again in 2009 and won Cowes-Torquay-Cowes.

Experts?
    Last edited by Serious News; 03-17-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

10. Collapse Details

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BOUNTY HUNTER.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	79793

Tough one!! Most likely shot in 1986, Phil may be able to nail that down.

There are some differences of heritage on this boat. It is a 38' CUV designed by Don Shead. Some think it was a 1977 hull that started out as Alitalia Due, some think it is a 1982 hull that started out as Rothman's Ego. If you go with the 1977 theory, it would go like this: 1977 Alitalia Due, 1979 Dry Martini 2, 1981 Ego, 1982 Rothman's Ego (650 Merc's), 1984 Cinzano (repowered with 750 Lamborghini's), 1986 Eberhard & Co. (800 Lamborghini's), 1987 French purchase and abandoned by Marseille after a couple years, 2008 British purchase by Tim Grimshaw and restoration started, purchased and finished by Markus Hendricks (repowered with Ilmors), began racing again in 2009 and won Cowes-Torquay-Cowes.

Experts?
    Marco Bertini and myself have spent some time sorting the CUV minefield out,and the Eberhard boat was built in 1984 as Ego Lamborghini (CUV 38FT) for the 1984 Round Britain race.It then became one of the Cinzano Bianco boats,then in 1986 became Eberhard.After that, one of the Pinot di Pinot boats,then GB Pedrini where it won the 1990 Venice-Monte Carlo race,then joined the P1 circus as Dino Bianchi,where it finished racing in 2004

While in history mode can anyone in the U.S. throw any light on the attached Bounty Hunter pic dated 1981 we think.It has a Union Jack on it,presumably hired out,but the 35ft ciggy Bounty Hunter II became Satisfaction for 1978/79.So this is where the confusion starts.

We thought it may have been the 37.5ft Limit Up,but that was 1979,and the 35ft Limir Up was ex-Jumpin Jack in 1976.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You believe it was retired in 2004 and is not this boat with the history in the story?

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1xx...esources/7.htm

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by FLYING FISH View Post

Name:	BOUNTY HUNTER.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	218.0 KB 
ID:	79793

Marco Bertini and myself have spent some time sorting the CUV minefield out,and the Eberhard boat was built in 1984 as Ego Lamborghini (CUV 38FT) for the 1984 Round Britain race.It then became one of the Cinzano Bianco boats,then in 1986 became Eberhard.After that, one of the Pinot di Pinot boats,then GB Pedrini where it won the 1990 Venice-Monte Carlo race,then joined the P1 circus as Dino Bianchi,where it finished racing in 2004

While in history mode can anyone in the U.S. throw any light on the attached Bounty Hunter pic dated 1981 we think.It has a Union Jack on it,presumably hired out,but the 35ft ciggy Bounty Hunter II became Satisfaction for 1978/79.So this is where the confusion starts.

We thought it may have been the 37.5ft Limit Up,but that was 1979,and the 35ft Limir Up was ex-Jumpin Jack in 1976.
    The photo of Bounty Hunter with Don was taken in Bobby's Apache shop that was right next to the Marina. That is the 39 foot Cigarette that first raced in 1979 at the Bacardi race and then was sold to Fayva shoes for the 1980 season. So if you are trying to pin don a time frame that the boat still has Bounty Hunter on the side it has to be in the 1979 season. and before the 1980 season started.

Another hint is the box up on the shelf behind the boat that has the Squadron XII logo on it.
    Last edited by Top Banana; 03-17-2015 at 03:35 PM.

13. Collapse Details

The photo of Bounty Hunter with Don was taken in Bobby's Apache shop that was right next to the Marina. That is the 39 foot Cigarette that first raced in 1979 at the Bacardi race and then was sold to Fayva shoes for the 1980 season. So if you are trying to pin don a time frame that the boat still has Bounty Hunter on the side it has to be in the 1979 season. and before the 1980 season started.

Another hint is the box up on the shelf behind the boat that has the Squadron XII logo on it.
    Thanks for coming back on that Charlie.

I can understand the squadron reference,but surely the boat details you refer to was the bubbldeck 39 that went to Meynard in the year you stated.The aft deck arrgt with that black box affair and hatch design I can`t liken to anything normally cigarette like,or is this an actual squadron hull.

But who was the Brit who raced it under the UK flag and what race.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Serious News View Post
    You believe it was retired in 2004 and is not this boat with the history in the story?

http://content.yudu.com/Library/A1xx...esources/7.htm
    The boat refered to in the article is Della Valle`s second CUV 38 which did not have lambos.This why it`s a minefield collating this.Marco really knows his stuff re the CUV history,being Italian and has been an enormous help in sorting the true history out.Forget the journos nonsense,they never get the true facts straight,much to Marco`s and myself`s frustration.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks for coming back on that Charlie.

I can understand the squadron reference,but surely the boat details you refer to was the bubbldeck 39 that went to Meynard in the year you stated.The aft deck arrgt with that black box affair and hatch design I can`t liken to anything normally cigarette like,or is this an actual squadron hull.

But who was the Brit who raced it under the UK flag and what race.
    Who else would the mystery driver be but of course..........the infamous CIAO

The boat never ran that well .....and that is the basis for his charming personality, eh?

16. Collapse Details

Seriously! I think you may be correct. That may be a Squadron XII after all just using the name.

BTW. Where did that pink bottom color come from?

17. Collapse Details

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	79794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	79795
    Who else would the mystery driver be but of course..........the infamous CIAO

The boat never ran that well .....and that is the basis for his charming personality, eh?
    Controversial !!!!!!!!!

Attached are some more views of the boat shed.

I am coming to the conclusion it is a squadron.Look at that aft deck arrgt.Also there is a Beep Beep hull in view.What on earth were they doing knocking out hulls that never ran.Both Martin and Halpern seem to have been sold dummies.I have a suspicion that Bounty Hunter hull was hired by Doxford (he carried the race no 17 sometimes),so if it was,even he caught a cold.

Ray Bulman who took the photos can`t remember the story,but I`ll jog his memory about the squadron shop when I see him shortly.

Off course 1981 fits in nicely with the first squadron raceboat.

18. Collapse Details

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	79794Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	182.0 KB 
ID:	79795

Controversial !!!!!!!!!

Attached are some more views of the boat shed.

I am coming to the conclusion it is a squadron.Look at that aft deck arrgt.Also there is a Beep Beep hull in view.What on earth were they doing knocking out hulls that never ran.Both Martin and Halpern seem to have been sold dummies.I have a suspicion that Bounty Hunter hull was hired by Doxford (he carried the race no 17 sometimes),so if it was,even he caught a cold.

Ray Bulman who took the photos can`t remember the story,but I`ll jog his memory about the squadron shop when I see him shortly.

Off course 1981 fits in nicely with the first squadron raceboat.
    Sorry about the mid paragraph response, it wouldn't let me scroll down to here.

OK that sheds a different light on things...no pun intended. That Bounty Hunter was not the 39 footer that was raced in 79 and not the Fayva Shoes of 1980. Left photo shows a 41 Cigarette that Don used diesels and #3 drives. Beep Beep in the photo was not the MSV hull blocked down to make a 38 foot Cobra like Halpern raced. It is a Cigarette, as is the other boat in the photo. They appear to have a deck line of a 35 flat deck Mistress, not a 37.6 like Ajac Hawk was built in December of 1978. Doxford rented on of the MSV Cobras from Halpern to race in the Benihana one summer and had Willy Meyers as part of the crew then.

So there now have we solved it or made more questions to addle our ancient minds?

Also the Bounty Hunter shown in these photos is not a race boat, but a pleasure boat as evidenced by the hatches.

The Black Knight and the boat behind it are both the 41 Cigarettes Don was making.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 03-17-2015 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Fixed Mid Paragraph response

19. Collapse Details

Sorry about the mid paragraph response, it wouldn't let me scroll down to here.

OK that sheds a different light on things...no pun intended. That Bounty Hunter was not the 39 footer that was raced in 79 and not the Fayva Shoes of 1980. Left photo shows a 41 Cigarette that Don used diesels and #3 drives. Beep Beep in the photo was not the MSV hull blocked down to make a 38 foot Cobra like Halpern raced. It is a Cigarette, as is the other boat in the photo. They appear to have a deck line of a 35 flat deck Mistress, not a 37.6 like Ajac Hawk was built in December of 1978. Doxford rented on of the MSV Cobras from Halpern to race in the Benihana one summer and had Willy Meyers as part of the crew then.

So there now have we solved it or made more questions to addle our ancient minds?

Also the Bounty Hunter shown in these photos is not a race boat, but a pleasure boat as evidenced by the hatches.

The Black Knight and the boat behind it are both the 41 Cigarettes Don was making.
    I know the Limit Up cobra that was hired you speak of.

The pleasure boat scenario appears credible as I noticed the lack of induction boxes on the hatches.I suppose the air for smaller engines could be sucked in through the hatch coamings.Nevertheless Doxford or whoever still must have thought they would race it at some point,judging by the race number.Better not hijack this thread anymore.

20. Collapse Details

Photo of #558 - Eberhard & Co., was taken in Auckland New Zealand - UIM Gold Gorp World Championships - December 1986

Phil