Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
  1. Collapse Details

OK.. Once I pick the area.. Build? or buy a home.. I'm a certified GC so I can pretty much build anyting,, but what about value?? Vacant lands are pretty good values right now also.
    Life is: what happens... when you plan something else.

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    OK.. Once I pick the area.. Build? or buy a home.. I'm a certified GC so I can pretty much build anyting,, but what about value?? Vacant lands are pretty good values right now also.
    Peter. I doubt you could build for what you could buy a distress property for. Maybe buy a fixer uper in a good area of the Cape close to the river. Use your skills to bring it up to standard. Above all, don't forget the first rule(s) of real estate - location, location, location. Gotta be on the water and the closer to the river the better. And like Jay said, there is always Ft. Myers Offshore in the hood. Good luck.
    Bob

3. Collapse Details

Thanks Bob.. here's my thought.. I was envolved with the homes of MJ, Danny DeVito, Walter Payton, Robert Urich, and some other celebs and some pretty fancy homes. I don't do much home building anymore, most of my stuff is commercial, but I can build a home a lot more economically then most house builders. So I will let the cat out. Due to the current commercial construction, (lack of). I'm thinking about shifting gears and getting back into the upper- mid and upper income home building, with a twist. YOu being in FLorida know about the curent code compliance and the hurricane code rquirements.
    I want to build a model home and market it as above and beyond the "codes".
    Every Dick and Harry can follow the code requirements, they have to, and the Architects has to design them to comply. However... most of these builders will comply with the codes... but it's not enough. For about 3-5 per SF foot, I can build a true hurricane "proof" home, above and beyond the current codes, using some commercial applications. The home building is very competative, so no builders will go to the next step and "build it better". I want to, and I'm thinking about building one for myself and market the concept. The insurance companies are already willing to discount the rates for homes "Better" then the codes require. A 3000 Sf feet home would cost about 10K-15K more then the avarage but this can be recaptured in 3-5 years with the ins. prems.
    Any thoughts?/ I want to gather as much as info as I can. I know the Punta Gorda and Cape area got hit with hurricanes before. IT might be a good area to test the waters, and of course Ft. Myers offshore is there.

4. Collapse Details

I would say the Cape is a great place for boating and Fun. There are so many homes on the water that are for sale it would make your head spin. Just make sure you pick the right location in tha cape. Some areas take 15 minutes to get to the water, others are well over an hour.

5. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=PARADOX;48882]
    I want to build a model home and market it as above and beyond the "codes".
    Every Dick and Harry can follow the code requirements, they have to, and the Architects has to design them to comply. However... most of these builders will comply with the codes... but it's not enough. For about 3-5 per SF foot, I can build a true hurricane "proof" home, above and beyond the current codes, using some commercial applications. The home building is very competative, so no builders will go to the next step and "build it better". I want to, and I'm thinking about building one for myself and market the concept. The insurance companies are already willing to discount the rates for homes "Better" then the codes require. A 3000 Sf feet home would cost about 10K-15K more then the avarage but this can be recaptured in 3-5 years with the ins. prems.
    [QUOTE]

Here is a company www.aubuchonhomes.com that have the same kind of idea that you are looking at getting into.

My best friends family owns the framing company that is contracted to build all the homes for Aubuchon.

6. Collapse Details

Peter, I wish I could be more help but am at a bit of a disadvantage here. My home building career was in Canada where I grew up and understood the industry and the market quite well. Over a 25 year period I built over 2500 homes and 2 years ago I felt the latest good cycle was coming to an end and it would be a good time to "hang it up". While many times over the years I was tempted to open a building operation here, I felt it was a market I did not fully understand. My theory was build in Canada where I knew the market and leave FL as my playground. Worked out pretty good.
    I can comment on your idea tho of building a better product. That is a good way to set yourself apart from what the average builder is doing and give you an edge. The trick is to remain competitive with pricing tho as it is only a select group that will be willing to pay more and then they only will if they see the extra value in what you are offering. You will need to do a good job of explaining and selling your concept. There has to be a lot of appeal for a hurricane proof home. The lack of it, has caused a lot of people to sell and leave the area.
    Good luck with whatever you do and if ever down in this area be sure to contact me.
    Bob

7. Collapse Details

Thanks Bob and Don to.

Great info. The way I see the house market in Fla, that there will always be "some" demand for new homes. A lot less now then in the past years, but the key is the banks. Even the wealthy won't want to dish out all the cash and the banks don't want to loan. Actually they are dieing to get money away but with some outrageous collateral. They NEED to give loans, but they are afraid to provide mortgages for typical homes that might take a financial hit in a few years, so they won’t.
    Several loan underwriters I talked to want to find ways to “secure” their outgoing funds. If the home maintains it’s value they will provide the money, or if there is a really big % down stroke. I think building a “preferable” home for the right price and value will give the banks enough safety to loan. Then the concept could work. But at any rate,, I’m still thinking about starting one just for me. I have my “dream” home designed long ago.. Big “window” behind the lower level bar, where you can see my “guests” swimming in the pool, (underwater) and rec. room, game room, or play room, where I can drive the boat literally into the house, step out and get my cocktail going up to the actual living level. This house just got to be built.. so I’m looking for an excuse.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    One of my friends moved to the Fort Myers area. between canals and manatee zones, his waterfront home was 45minutes plus from where he could get up on plane.

The area up by Stuart and Pt. St. Lucie is very nice.

Jupiter-Stuart is ok but PSL= Port St. Loser/ Port St. Latin........ My buddy said it was built for every loser that couldn't buy a house in Dade, Broward or Palm Beach County........

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by PARADOX View Post
    Thanks Bob and Don to.

Great info. The way I see the house market in Fla, that there will always be "some" demand for new homes. A lot less now then in the past years, but the key is the banks. Even the wealthy won't want to dish out all the cash and the banks don't want to loan. Actually they are dieing to get money away but with some outrageous collateral. They NEED to give loans, but they are afraid to provide mortgages for typical homes that might take a financial hit in a few years, so they won’t.
    Several loan underwriters I talked to want to find ways to “secure” their outgoing funds. If the home maintains it’s value they will provide the money, or if there is a really big % down stroke. I think building a “preferable” home for the right price and value will give the banks enough safety to loan. Then the concept could work. But at any rate,, I’m still thinking about starting one just for me. I have my “dream” home designed long ago.. Big “window” behind the lower level bar, where you can see my “guests” swimming in the pool, (underwater) and rec. room, game room, or play room, where I can drive the boat literally into the house, step out and get my cocktail going up to the actual living level. This house just got to be built.. so I’m looking for an excuse.
    Sounds very intriguing; however it is a risk to do something new, especially in this market. That is what most "safe and secure" business analysts would say. However, you would be building the model for your personal home and there's no risk in that; if you plan to keep it for any length of time. But I am usually the 1 to go against the grain, and I feel that you have a great concept and would be successful if you have a good biz plan & could get the first couple sold; after your "model" was complete.
    There are a few other builders doing this, but I think the cost was more like 30% above standard building codes.
    I have always believed in building better than just "to code", and my spec homes, although they were a little more per sq. ft., always sold before completion.
    I have actually been entertaining getting my FLGC license in the near future....(I'm licensed in NC).
    Good Luck!

10. Collapse Details

Thanks Spil.

As you know being a builder, how houses are built. In short and for example.. you get a Masonry sub, often a small company. All they do is block and brick. Inspections, grout in the block cores, more inspections, tie beams, inspections and so on. Typical "beyond the codes" will be up to 25-30 % higher unless you can reduce the time, inspections and build it faster, better. With some "commercial" concepts, I can reduce inspection time and construction time and build the home a lot stronger and for less.
    A small sample for the "sea wall" construction. Typ way: Excavate, form, pour, strip etc. backfil. Expensive. Now.. let's assume I get prefabricated concrete wall peaces, or road barricades. (Like you see on highways) and just drop them in place with a crane. Purchase the precast, delivery included, one day crane $500-750 per day. Drop in the "sea wall" units, nice cap on the top, tie in and done. Faster, cheaper, not the typical way. Using "alternate construction methods:" and materials etc. makes my price a lot lower. Most residental contractors are not used to build "out of the box". I am. I have an engineering background as well.
    Code require "Sympson" ties. Those ties cost a half of fortune. I can design and attachements or fastening method that's twise as strong, half the price, but it has to be designed at the start. Example. imbeded nelson studs. (like used on commercial tilt up construction) I won't go on and on, but there is a lot of good ways to bring the cost down and make the home "bullet proof".