1. Collapse Details
    Battery switches
    There are 4 positions on each battery switch: off,1,2, and all. Nothing happens if I'm on the #2 position on either switch. What is the way I should position each switch? Everything works fine if I'm on. #1 or all. I don't get why there is a #2 position

2. Collapse Details

unscrew the switch and look at how the wires are on the back, then follow the big red ones, that should get you started. Whats wired to the #2 post on the back of the battery?
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

3. Collapse Details

Plus, it is important to determine whether the battery(s) are being switched, or the starters. I had a boat with 4 batteries, and the switches simply selected between the two batteries available on that side. I've also had a boat with 2 batteries and 2 starters, and the switch determined which engine each battery started. You could start the port off of the SB battery, or the SB off the port battery.

4. Collapse Details
    Cool
    SteveWY... Having a #2 position in theory, is for a boat w/one battery switch and two battery banks...That being, either engine batteries or house batteries (everything else on boat)....Where, the #1 position controls battery bank #1 and the #2 position controls battery bank #2...and the "all" position , being similar to "Paralleling" (tying) both #1 & #2 battery banks together to start either engine....What it appears is happening on your BT is; they wired each engine to the #1 terminal on each switch...(i.e. port switch position #1 energizes the port engine from the port battery bank and starboard switch #1 position energizes the starboard engine from starboard battery bank)....That is probably because, all battery switches are manufactured in basically the same configuration (off, 1, 2 and all)... and since you have two engines, you have two separate switches controlling each of the separate battery banks...Now, I'm sure you have a generator, which, should have it's own battery and switch...But, If I were you I would check to make sure the "ALL" position on both switches works to parallel (tie) both battery banks correctly...To do this, put both switches in the "all" position, then disconnect the positive (red) battery cable from one of the battery banks (let's say port), then try to start each engine, one-at-a-time....both engines should start...Now, reconnect the port (red) battery cable and repeat this process with the starboard battery bank...again, both engines should start, one at a time....FYI...if you are ever out on the water and you run your batteries down with massive audio amps, lighting and etc....You can always use your "Genny" to help one engine start, then the next... In addition, I would recommend that you do as Phragle suggested...Just get in there and follow the wires...This will help you to know exactly what is running what...in addition, I would suggest keeping a "CHARGED" portable battery booster box and/or 2000 watt Honda portable generator onboard, not only for your "peace of mind", but, to help others cruising with you, should the need arise.... After many years of boating/towing/rescue and marine salvage, I have seen and done it all... and most of my boating friends, I met by boating accident or mishap (pun intended)...There are few things worse, than a "No start or low start situation" while cruising/travelling and "I'd rather be safe than sorry..In fact, I carry a set of 20ft booster cables as well...Hope I haven't been overly wordy... Call me @ 313-510-2208 and I'll swing by your way...I'd like to see your new set-up anyway (Hoist, Boat, bow thruster, etc...)...

Divenstar
    Last edited by Divenstar; 05-29-2014 at 06:07 PM.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yep, what they said. So first question is how many batteries? 2, 3, or 4?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Hi Jim, thanks for the explanation. I need to trace the cables, just for peace of mind knowing which battery operates what. The previous owner kept both switches on "all". I will be home most of the day tomorrow and other than local errands I'll be here Saturday. If you remember where I live, stop by anytime

There are only 2 batteries. My Bertram had 4: starboard for Stbd engine and all accessories, port for port, 1 batterey for parallel , and 1 for the Genny. The BT has 2 total. I'm thinking Stbd for strbd and accessories, port for port and genny

7. Collapse Details

My sisters bertram is like that... I swear it has a battery for the battery...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership