Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Filler between couches
    Has anyone used a filler between the 2 couches to make a more comfortable sleeping space? If so, what did you do?

I've looked at some blow up twin mattresses, but they're too wide. I've thought of having 2 pieces of 20" foam.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    How are you planning on supporting the mattress between the seats?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

There is a foam factory near me, who makes custom foam. The couches are about 21" high. I'm thinking I could have 2 rolls made that would lie on the floor, squeeze between the couches. The foam would have to be firm enough to support weight -- I'm not sure if they can make that. I could then have a 4" layer made from a template that would cover both couches and the filler.

Not sure if it will work, but that's all I can think of. That's why I was checking if anyone had done anything

4. Collapse Details

Went to the foam shop today.they will make 2--31" long sections, total of 21" high. They use 4" foam (firm) with 2" section glued to it. Repeat process twice (total 18") and then top it off with 3" (medium. That will serve as the filler. Lay a 4" thick piece cut to fit entire section on top.

Not cheap, but will serve the purpose if you want another full size comfortable bed

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What the heck would you do with those giant pieces of foam when you weren't using them for a bed?

Our Marlin converts the cockpit into a bed by having a basic piece of plywood covered identical to the U shaped seating. Insert two H shaped legs into the brackets on the wood and put it in place.

On the BT, I would think the seat backs could easily be converted into a piece that rested on channels connected to the seat fronts leg area. Kind of like a daybed or futon arrangement utilizing the seat backs.

Didn't one of the old Scarabs or something have a table that was either a table or a cabin seat insert where the seatback cushions became the bed?

6. Collapse Details

The few times I will have the need for the filler , I'll just store it on the vberth for traveling and when at the dock . Bedtime: slip it in place

Probably not the best set- up, but I want to try and keep it simple.

7. Collapse Details

I built a cushion with a couple of bars that go across the bottom of the couches and attach and then added two filler cushions on top of that. Its a pain to set up and then walk over it to get in and out of the v-berth once its set up. I was thinking of pulling the backs of the couches off - once you do that the couch surface could be close to a foot deeperc- but I can't figure out how to get the backs of the couches off. Any ideas?

8. Collapse Details

Not sure how to get the backs off. I'm thinking the foam filler might be the easiest. The big downside is there is no place for storage (as has been mentioned). For the few times I'll use it, I'll just have to deal with it on the vberth.

The other storage issue for me is how to store canvass when going away for the weekend. The guy I bought the boat from had fantastic full enclosure made. It's top shelf. The glass is in beautiful (brand new) condition. I bought two hockey bags to haul it in. My wife has soft towells between each section to proect the glass, and carefully rolls it up. I need 2 bags to hold it all. When underway I put the bags on the vberth. When I arrive, the bags will fit standing up in the bilge ( front of motors).

Now , I will have to add my foam fillers to the vberth when hauling . Unquestionably the BT has awesome storage for this style of boat --- but there's never enough. That's always the case

I'm still amazed at the compliments I get on the boat, and just how overall great it is. Too bad they can't go back into business. It is one awesome boat

9. Collapse Details

I've got a full enclosure for mine too. I roll them up into pieces of a bed sheet that I've cut to fit them and made (2) bags out of purple sunbrella. I used quick release straps that hold the bags up in the back of the engine compartment right behind where the drive fill bottles are. I leave them there all the time until I need them. Completely out of the way and easy access. As for the couches if the backs came off you could add a small amount of foam to the bottom and have a pretty good size sleeping surface. Trying to fit something for my kids when we travel . . . .

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What about a modification similar to this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	built in boat seating 1.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	78408

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	built in boat seating 2.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	78409

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...or_a_Boat.html

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Then the seat back could become the middle cushion?

12. Collapse Details

I like that! Except I can't get the seat backs off:-(

13. Collapse Details

Prior to buying the BT I had a 33' Bertram. I bought a "magic bed" sofa that is made for RVs. Very similar in style.

14. Collapse Details

you will need a long Philips head bit ( 6") ,pull the top of the seat back toward you feel for the screw head, there is a piece of wood that is glassed to the interior freeboard and the seat back is screwed down from the top.

15. Collapse Details

Next, at the base of the seat back (left & right) feel between the interior freeboard and seat back (forward and aft) for a screw head.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Thanks, now I have to go look and see if I can get mine off....

17. Collapse Details

Thanks I'll check it out tomorrow and see what I can find.

18. Collapse Details

Here is what I did for my canvas storage. Works well - keeps it out of the way until ready to use and doesn't look that bad either.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140531_112510.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	78430

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by splashandburn View Post
    Here is what I did for my canvas storage. Works well - keeps it out of the way until ready to use and doesn't look that bad either.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140531_112510.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	168.8 KB 
ID:	78430
    That's a Slammin'' idea!!!...and I know you separate w/old bead sheets...but, does the eisign glass get "any" scratches at all, since it would seem to get all of the engine vibration and or boat motion????

20. Collapse Details

No. I seperate each piece with a custom cut piece of sheet so there's no way its gonna scratch. Plus there's not all that much that moves back there. One thing I did do is bend a couple pieces of steel to act as a cradle for the canvas bags and then I powder coated them. The straps are there to lock them in place.