Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Is it just me froma boat racing fans point of view (being I only see/read what is posted and hear anecdotal stories here and there) that all the disagreement, accusations,infighting, and division that goes on in SVL, that SVL stands for:

Supremely
    Volitile
    Liabilty

For any orginazation/event they become involved in?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea for the class and there are some good teams in it, but why oh why can't everyone get along and play in the same sandbox???
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

2. Collapse Details

Can someone clearly state what the infraction was here?
    Running an unapproved motor?

How could anyone think that breaking a record the boat wouldn't be gone through...
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Can someone clearly state what the infraction was here?Running an unapproved motor?
    see post #2 in this thread

How could anyone think that breaking a record the boat wouldn't be gone through...
    By whom? The APBA observer, Fred H...the Mercury Racing guy?

4. Collapse Details

how could anyone start a race in a straight river and not know where the first turn was??

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    Is it just me froma boat racing fans point of view (being I only see/read what is posted and hear anecdotal stories here and there) that all the disagreement, accusations,infighting, and division that goes on in SVL, that SVL stands for:

Supremely
    Volitile
    Liabilty

For any orginazation/event they become involved in?

Don't get me wrong, I really like the idea for the class and there are some good teams in it, but why oh why can't everyone get along and play in the same sandbox???
    Naw, it's just that they have the strictest rules for stock motors of any class in offshore. The main reason for issues is the lack of documented inspections. Just like this record, reported as a new SVL APBA record, but come to find out from the tech's who were there they didn't even check the ECM or the RPM's so, not a record. Just a fast pass in a modified single engine vee with a canopy.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    And one other small point of interest on the SVL class. There have been a total of 9 Randy Linebach Sportsmanship Lighthouse awards handed out. SVL team owners have won the award 5 of the 9 times. 2 Supercat teams and 2 Cat Outboard teams are the others.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by lucky devil View Post
    see post #2 in this thread

By whom? The APBA observer, Fred H...the Mercury Racing guy?
    I would think that if they are going to issue a record, the boat would be inspected.

8. Collapse Details

I would think that if they are going to issue a record, the boat would be inspected.
    By inspector Clouseau??

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	peter_sellers_inspector_clouseau_pi_medium.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	78321

9. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    And one other small point of interest on the SVL class. There have been a total of 9 Randy Linebach Sportsmanship Lighthouse awards handed out. SVL team owners have won the award 5 of the 9 times. 2 Supercat teams and 2 Cat Outboard teams are the others.
    Are any of the real SVLs going to show up at Loto? I understand if not with the last minute rule change last year that allowed the one boat legal.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    As of this moment in time, yes there will be.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    In talking with the team, the boat was SBI Superboat Vee legal, not APBA Super Vee Lite legal. I'm not sure it will be a record for any APBA class, we'll have to wait and see. The confusion came from the releases saying it was an official SVL record. The team did not put in a stock 525 to even try to beat the SVL record.
    Last edited by Ratickle; 05-04-2014 at 11:22 PM.

12. Collapse Details

I thought the concept was having a set of rules for SVL as a group and those rules went with you no matter which org you raced with........Guess I was wrong.

13. Collapse Details

In talking with the team, the boat was SBI Superboat Vee legal, not APBA Super Vee Lite legal. I'm not sure it will be a record for any APBA class, we'll have to wait and see. The confusion came from the releases saying it was an official SVL record. The team did not put in a stock 525 to even try to beat the SVL record.
    Define legal. Legal as of 4/21?

ALL SUPERBOAT VEE CLASS ENGINES ARE REQUIRED TO HAVE THE STOCK IGNITION SYSTEM LIMITED TO 5800 RPMS AND HAVE A G2X DATA LOGGER INSTALLED and maintained to Monitor the RPM level during the race

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I will double check with the team and APBA to see if it was checked. However, it is kind of a non-issue since the boat did not meet APBA rules and there is no class for a SBI Super Boat Vee. I have no idea what single engine vee holds the record the boat would have been going for. I'll see if it's been figured out yet. However, a 510 cu in engine with 9:1 compression and a modified ignition turning 5800 RPM instead of the factory stock 5400 RPM would seem more reasonable when you figure out prop slip. That would come out to around 9% slip vs the 5% slip with the 5400 max RPM allowed in APBA Super Vee Lite.

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    I thought the concept was having a set of rules for SVL as a group and those rules went with you no matter which org you raced with........Guess I was wrong.
    Well, that was tried really hard. The bad thing is the three main organizations have two different rules. P1 and OPA exactly match APBA. SBI allows modified ECM's, higher compression ration than stock, higher RPM than stock, and greater cubic inches than stock. The reason they say is to save money by allowing rebuilds, but the result is a lot of broken engines due to the after market modifications, especially the increased RPM. And, the high dollar teams started out with a fresh motor modified to the maximum allowed under the rebuild rules. It killed the competition instead of assisting teams by helping to hold costs down.

Last year SBI also allowed different gear ratios but have changed that to 1.5:1 this season which matches APBA/OPA/P1. Last year there was also unlimited RPM allowed, it wasn't capped at the 5450 stock as APBA or the 5800 adopted this season.

If you asked me why the different rules for different orgs, I would almost say the orgs do not want anyone cross-racing with other orgs so they make different rules on purpose. But that would be the pessimist in me.

16. Collapse Details

If SVL stuck together with there OWN rulebook..... A good turn out at a race these days is 25 boats. and you have a group of svl guys that want to come do one of your orgs races under their own rules (well tech rules. I can see an org being sticky on their own safety rules).. Well what org is going to tell a 10 boat traveling svl show to pack sand????

17. Collapse Details

I will double check with the team and APBA to see if it was checked. However, it is kind of a non-issue...
    Are you saying that when you've been running 6500 rpm (±200 rpm), getting restricted to 5800 isn't going to become an issue with your performance?

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Nope, not saying that for racing events at all. I'm saying it's a non-issue for the record trial because the boat was not legal for the APBA SVL Offshore Record, (and wasn't pretending to be according to the team).

It's a huge deal for racing. The average SVL runs around 12% prop slip. With a 30" pitch prop, (the average pitch raced), and a mandatory 1.5:1 gear ratio now, every 100 RPM is almost 2 MPH difference.

19. Collapse Details

Sorry, but I'm confused. You wrote

In talking with the team, the boat was SBI Superboat Vee legal...
    but according to your math

The average SVL runs around 12% prop slip. With a 30" pitch prop, (the average pitch raced), and a mandatory 1.5:1 gear ratio now, every 100 RPM is almost 2 MPH difference.
    which would mean losing the 100s of rpm to really meet SBI SV tech would = enough mph to drop the kilo run to a sub-100mph performance, no?

20. Collapse Details

I 100% believe Doc tried to pull it off as a new svl record untill he got caught bent over with his pants down and no lube.....