Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

And many people probably join you in believing that. Problem is that racing orgs are supposed to have legitimate tech inspectors who do a credible job so no one has to guess what they believe.

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky devil View Post
    Sorry, but I'm confused. You wrote

In talking with the team, the boat was SBI Superboat Vee legal...

but according to your math

The average SVL runs around 12% prop slip. With a 30" pitch prop, (the average pitch raced), and a mandatory 1.5:1 gear ratio now, every 100 RPM is almost 2 MPH difference.

which would mean losing the 100s of rpm to really meet SBI SV tech would = enough mph to drop the kilo run to a sub-100mph performance, no?
    I'm explaining poorly, but at least I'm used to it, (ask my wife).

With the RPM capped at 5450 for the APBA rules the prop slip would have to be 5% to hit 100 mph (1.5:1 gear), almost impossible in my belief for a Vee. A very fast Vee will be around 8% to 9% slip. That is with a surface pierce drive like a #6 or Indy, not a Bravo with a maximum height allowed of 1/2" below the running surface. However, with the 5800 RPM allowed by SBI Superboat Vee, 100 would calculate out to 12% slip on a 31" pitch prop. That is well within reason, so I would believe the boat could be SBI legal and run 100mph. The APBA record (Wil Smith) is 91+ on a 31" prop with a legal stock 525 Merc. That works out to 13% slip on the 5400 RPM the stock ECM allows.

Any better explanation?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lucky devil View Post
    And many people probably join you in believing that. Problem is that racing orgs are supposed to have legitimate tech inspectors who do a credible job so no one has to guess what they believe.
    My opinion is the inspectors do a pretty good job, but if you have enough money and you want to cheat badly enough, there isn't enough money to tear engines down all the time. The secret is to make the rules simple enough, and the punishments tough enough, to where there is no incentive to cheat. Both orgs are getting closer to making it simple, quick, and reasonable for the SVL's, Supercats, and Cat Outboards. Dataloggers are the key to ending cheating forever in my opinion. SBI just made them mandatory for SVL.

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    However, with the 5800 RPM allowed by SBI Superboat Vee, 100 would calculate out to 12% slip on a 31" pitch prop. That is well within reason, so I would believe the boat could be SBI legal and run 100mph. The APBA record (Wil Smith) is 91+ on a 31" prop with a legal stock 525 Merc. That works out to 13% slip on the 5400 RPM the stock ECM allows.
    Your conclusion is probably right, the boat could be SBI legal and run 100mph. My question is the boat,IMO, normally runs at 6500 rpm (±200 rpm) so when does any team get to declare themselves "legal"? Isn't the org (whether APBA,SBI,OPA) the only party that can make that statement?

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The short answer is to the question is yes. APBA has not even released their press release and I'm pretty sure that will clear up the issue. The only question is if there is any single engine Vee-bottom boat that has ever gone faster in an APBA time trial. The boat is not a legal boat in any APBA offshore class, and the event was a Special Records event, not an Offshore Records event. The rules are much stricter than Special Records events for Offshore Records events.

So, if there is a record granted for the 29, it will fit in this group somewhere: http://www.apba.org/node/5818

I don't know what it will be, or if there will even be a record granted. If so, it would probably be some new Special Events record like: Canopied/30' or Less/Single Engine Vee?

6. Collapse Details

I don't know what it will be, or if there will even be a record granted. If so, it would probably be some new Special Events record like: Canopied/30' or Less/Single Engine Vee?
    Problem with that type of classification is, unless the org certifying the Record releases the exact spec the boat ran (engine displacement, RPMs, weight, prop etc) then no one could effectively challenge it. You could even buy another 29 OL canopy race boat with race-prepped 525 and fail to match the speed.

7. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor Dunbar 104's Avatar
    Pretty simple explanation. They bought a record!!!

I am headed to the lake now, going to set a new record a certified by my cell phone gps. Ranger v-82 hybrid outboard carbed promax. or R82HCPM for short. Press release to follow.

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Dunbar 104 View Post
    Pretty simple explanation. They bought a record!!!
    What's the going rate $$$ to rent-a-racing-org ?

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    APBA Official Press Release

Special Events Speed Records Established

Two APBA Special Events Straightaway Speed records were established in Washington, NC on April 29, 2014. Both records were set using OuterLimits boats powered by Mercury engines and Mercury stern drives. In the SV Single, Brian Forehand drove Michael Janssen’s OuterLimits SV-29 to an average speed of 100.836. In Unlimited Vee Bottom, Forehand drove Joe Sgro’s OuterLimits to an average speed of 180.464. Average speeds are established running in both directions over a one (1) kilometer surveyed course.
    Congratulations to Forehand, Janseen, Sgro, Outlimits, and Mercury Marine!

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'll get clarification from Mark Wheeler at APBA, but this appears to be a record for a 29' Outerlimits SV with a single engine.

11. Collapse Details

The English guy that looks like Robert Plant (cant think of his name right now) that has the blue orange 29 ol with the ilmor.. he is definitly faster than doc... 29 ol single engine....
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there are quite a few out there faster, but they weren't at the record trial.

According to APBA, the record set by the 29 OL is SV Single. SV is a copyright held by Outerlimits for several models of their Vee's. So, the special event speed SV Single record is held by a single engine Outerlimits SV and can only be broken by a single engine Outerlimits SV since they hold the copyright.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    The English guy that looks like Robert Plant (cant think of his name right now) that has the blue orange 29 ol with the ilmor.. he is definitly faster than doc... 29 ol single engine....
    Nigel Hook ?
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

think his name is Peter something...
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I also think the one with the 600SC went 104 or so.....

But, no one else was invited to the record trial, so none showed up........

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The 600 hp supercharged Mercury Racing engine was matched to a Bravo One XR drive with ½-inch spacers and 1.5:1 gear reduction. With that propulsion package turning a lab-finished 15 5/8 x 34-inch five-blade Maximus propeller, our test boat ran 101.3 mph at 5,350 rpm.

http://www.pokerrunsamerica.com/comp...-by-eric-colby

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    From APBA:

The speed runs were sanctioned as special events. This was done for two reasons. Either of these reasons would have made the speed runs special events (and not offshore).

1) The boats did not fit into an existing APBA class.

2) APBA never sanctions private speed runs for existing APBA classes. The speed runs at Washington were private. They were not open to all APBA members, and we would not have granted a record for an existing APBA class even if the boats fit into an existing APBA class.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    APBA's explanation covers it pretty well I think.

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phragle View Post
    He's talking about this one they were tweaking in Miami. I know it's well over 100, but I don't believe Peter has ever released the top end final number.

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Miami