Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    There's an old 39' here in NJ that sits on a trailer at Julian's Bait and Tackle on route 36... It has a 3-pack cockpit but with TRS Drives, black hull, white deck, no name.... It's behind a fence and i've never inquired, anyone know what boat that is???

Rumor has it the owner of Julians took the boat, flipped it over and pulled a mold from it , stretched it and made his own open fishing boat.....
    Pics! Pics!

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by wstultz View Post
    Pics! Pics!
    I'll see if I can get a few this weekend when I'm out driving around.

3. Collapse Details

Drove by on my lunch break and took two cell phone pics, sorry for the quality...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img063.jpg   img064.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Wrong on the first answer.

Correct on the second
    Executioner comes to mind.

"Tear gas and draft beer don't mix."

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude! Sweet! View Post
    Executioner comes to mind.
    You win the cupie doll.......
    Allergic to Nonsense

6. Collapse Details

So who really had the first padded offshore V bottom???? Steve Stepp, Executioner/Excalibur/Fountain et al???

7. Collapse Details

Geronimo,

The boat at Julians is a Squadron they claim.

The boat that Julian made, his 40'er I think that your refering to was his little center console lenghten out to 40' by Mark King who used to work for me at SH. If you remember when Joe's 40' was being built there at his shop there was an explosion that blew the garage doors off each end. The fellow that they aired out of there was Mark King with burns on his hands and face (story turned out well, no lasting injuries to Mark).

Julian made his 40'er long before he acquired the Cigarette/Squadron.

The boat was for sale for $40,000 as is.

Do not believe there is any race history with that boat. Julian's kid says "drug runner" but I think people just like to claim that?

Joe Gere

8. Collapse Details

It is a 39' Squadron XII has "XEX" hin number, and was purchased from a Government auction. 2 large deck hatches, extra fuel tanks, NO thru hull exhaust, white deck/black hull sides, and NO cabin make it suspect. Price 2yrs ago was $12,000
    Here are some pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XII_7.bmp   XII_5.bmp   XII_4.bmp  

9. Collapse Details

Couple more.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XII_2.bmp   XII_1.bmp   XII_6.bmp  

10. Collapse Details

Lee, thanks for the pics and the info.... I've passed that darn thing so many times that I often think about buying it just to flip it over and pull a mold off it and put a step in it or something.......

If memory serves me, the boat used to have thru-hull exhaust and it was filled in the last couple of years. What year is the HIN?

thanks for the pics inside the hull, it must be a light lay up.

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by HabanaJoe View Post
    Geronimo,

The boat at Julians is a Squadron they claim.

The boat that Julian made, his 40'er I think that your refering to was his little center console lenghten out to 40' by Mark King who used to work for me at SH. If you remember when Joe's 40' was being built there at his shop there was an explosion that blew the garage doors off each end. The fellow that they aired out of there was Mark King with burns on his hands and face (story turned out well, no lasting injuries to Mark).

Julian made his 40'er long before he acquired the Cigarette/Squadron.

The boat was for sale for $40,000 as is.

Do not believe there is any race history with that boat. Julian's kid says "drug runner" but I think people just like to claim that?

Joe Gere
    Joe, thanks for the info! If I remember correctly the boat was lengthened and the last 3-5 ft of the boat was "flat"??? Where did it go?? Years back I kept my Scarab at Gateway and he would dock it there a couple of weeks... very interesting boat but it looks like it was all done in woven roving....

12. Collapse Details

Geronimo,

I believe it is still in the yard there but in the back, yes it was pretty flat. Joe built/raced JS's for many years, I think he wated a big JS!!!

It was heavy, nothing fancy about it, laid up a like a Bruno & Stillman if you know lobster boats.

13. Collapse Details

First pad would be Steve Stepp,with a little help from Darris Allison

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    It is a 39' Squadron XII has "XEX" hin number, and was purchased from a Government auction. 2 large deck hatches, extra fuel tanks, NO thru hull exhaust, white deck/black hull sides, and NO cabin make it suspect. Price 2yrs ago was $12,000
    Here are some pictures.
    God only knows what Don hung XEX serial numbers on (or how many boats shared numbers) but that's a Cigarette 39 Competition hull. Engine centers are a bit off- never seen one with S/S's.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    Just answered a question on another site re the heritage of a particular boat and thought it might be interesting to the serious members if we started something over here too.

For instance did you Know, that a very talented guy by the name of Gary Gabrecht once worked for Mercury Marine running their racing division. In 1979, he and another guy started a new boat company with a deep v design and put a pad on the bottom of the boat.

If you listen to the rumor mills, you would hardly ever know that Gary was ever involved in the start up of that company and had a lot to do with it's inital success......the company is known as FOUNTAIN.

When did Gary start Second Effort?
    Run until it sounds expensive

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Geronimo36 View Post
    So who really had the first padded offshore V bottom???? Steve Stepp, Executioner/Excalibur/Fountain et al???
    Steve had the first padded offshore vee over 30 feet in the late 70's. The first Fountain Garbrecht Executioner hit the water in 1980 or so.

The first Linder Challenger 21 hit the water in 1975.........and that was a pad hull. That was probably the first.

Of course Paul Allison created the first pad hulls and is the inspiration for all of the others. He made his first version in 1965.

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    the first Top Gun is born and was called AJAC HAWK.

It was then rigged and wrapped in plastic and shipped off to Argentina for the December 1978 World Championship in Mar del Plata. It arrived at the sub base that we used for the pit area and was unwrapped to great admiration from all of us on hand. The photo in Argentina clearly shows the designation of 37.6 on the stern.
    Photo courtesy of my mother....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 79 grand prix 7.jpg  

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    God only knows what Don hung XEX serial numbers on (or how many boats shared numbers) but that's a Cigarette 39 Competition hull. Engine centers are a bit off- never seen one with S/S's.
    Chris, I know exactly what you mean
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 39cigXIIad.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Executioner

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Wrong on the first answer.

Correct on the second
    Here you go...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image0-1.jpg