1. Collapse Details
    Planes, Taxis, and Transportation Tales
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    First, Planes: Getting to our hotel in Miami for the boat show was a blast. We were supposed to leave on Wednesday at 1 and arrive in Miami at 6, but the flight from Detroit to Charlotte was cancelled because of the weather down south. So, after numerous calls and a couple hours of being on hold and talking with American Airlines we would leave Detroit at 3:30 and get to Miami at 8:15. Then, while on the road halfway to Detroit, we got a call that our flight to Miami from Charlotte had been cancelled. It took most of the way to Detroit to get it worked out, but we were able to get a flight from Charlotte to Ft Lauderdale and be in Ft Lauderdale at 10:15.

Well, got to Detroit, flew to Charlotte, got on the plane late but still going. Taxi out, wait an hour for deicing, just about ready and a line of big storms hits Florida and the Florida airports are all closed. Finally, about 10:15 we taxi back to the gate because, as the pilot put it, there was all of that complaining we'd heard about and seen on TV, so the policy had been changed and they had to give people the opportunity to get off the flight after awhile.

We taxi back, about a third of the people get off, but we get released to go to Ft Lauderdale in about 15 minutes. So then they have to round up the people who got off and we finally take off at get to Lauderdale about 2:00 AM. Then, most of the cab drivers have stopped for the day so after we get our luggage we wait in line a bit over an hour to get a taxi, but finally do. Next up, the taxi....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Taxi: When we finally get a taxi, we head out of the airport. He said he has to stop and get gas because we are going all the way to Miami beach, which he doesn't know how to get to. But, he has a cell with a gps. So we give him the address and off we go. We're on the freeway running a bit over 80, in a 65, cutting from the far left lane to the far right lane while he's driving with one hand and watching the gps in the other hand. Then, he picks an exit and starts looking for a gas station. First we go one way, no gas station after about 3 miles, so he makes a uturn and we head the other way.

He's pissed now so we are going over 70 in a 35 zone.

Finally we find a gas station and get some gas.

He then has to make up time, so while watching the gps to figure out how to get back on the freeway, we are consistently over 70 in 35 to 45 speedzones. Left lane, right lane, you name it we're making up time! Get back on the freeway, and over 80 most of the rest of the way. Would have been no big deal, but he's watching the gps and a couple times I was positive we were gonna rearend the cars we were closing on but at the last minute he'd throw on the brakes or change lanes. Or both.....

Anyway, we made it, he knocked a bit off the cab ride for the gas detour and it cost $100 with tip.

Second worse cab ride of my life I think. Frisco one time we were driving up the sidewalks with the horn on to get past the trafficjam on the street. Third was probably Cozumel Mexico, but it actually may have been number 2 and this one number three.

What you got??

3. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    We did also try to get the little cab/gocart car ride going to dinner one night down there to drive on the sidewalk but the best he did was back alley's....

4. Collapse Details

Plane stories??? I have enough to fill a sub forum! From blown Jet Bridge tires, to flying home from vegas totally hammered with no recollection of getting to the airport...

You know from my texts we had an exciting cab ride last weekend too. Snag a cab from the Miami airport, guy is on his cell phone as he pulls up, and doesn't seem to be too interested in getting off of it.

We blast out of the airport and start cutting back and fourth through the turnouts in the baggage claim at Miami (they separate the through traffic curb lanes from the outside through traffic lanes) This guy was picking the slalom line. Still on his phone.

Once we hit the causeway, it's on. Nothing like sitting on the plastic vinyl bench seat of a 386,000 mile crown vic watching the speedo needle wind into the dash weaving through traffic. The half bald, out of balance tires didn't bother me so much as the twitchy tail, and rear end bearing noise once we crested 85. I think we sustained about 93 MPH for a few seconds before he had to test the maximum braking torque. The twitchy rear end went into full blown shimmy dance as the already warped rotors sung a full song of mechanical protest as they were heated well beyond their design limits. All this while cursing in some african language and blowing the horn at the A-hole in the middle lane going 75. Did I mention it was 70* out and he had a leather bomber jacket and a stocking hat on?

Guy back to the airport was actually really friendly, but his conversation voice was set at SCREAM. Guy talked so loud I was getting a headache. I also got a good laugh when every possible warning message scrolled endlessly across the display of his impala. "Oil Life" "Trunk open" "hood open" "ABS failure" "check engine" "Airbag system faulty" ... those are just those ones I remember. Had more pieces of electrical tape covering lights on the gauge cluster than you can imagine. Overall, good trip

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RT930turbo View Post
    Did I mention it was 70* out and he had a leather bomber jacket and a stocking hat on?
    Well, at least he didn't pull down his ski mask until after you were out of the car....

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Charlotte on the way down.

I couldn't tell if that were the real Bobcat down there.....

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Charlotte on the way down.

I couldn't tell if that were the real Bobcat down there.....

whose big melon is that block'n the planes??????

8. Collapse Details

No sh*t...it's like the Wizard of Oz 's head floating out there blocking traffic !!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    No sh*t...it's like the Wizard of Oz 's head floating out there blocking traffic !!!
    Oh snap!!

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    whose big melon is that block'n the planes??????
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrinkleface View Post
    Oh snap!!

Well, been nice knowing you guys. Any particular saying you'd like on your gravestones????

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Leaving Miami

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Landing in Detroit......

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I just can't imagine how you guys can stand to live down there with all that sun and warm weather with open water for boating year round.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Well, been nice knowing you guys. Any particular saying you'd like on your gravestones????
    Hot Blonde Babe!!!!

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You're dying your hair?

16. Collapse Details

This look familiar?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Run until it sounds expensive

17. Collapse Details

I can tell by the feminine way that guy runs in the second pic....is a Dentist...
    Parabellum FJ²B

18. Collapse Details

I can tell by the feminine way that guy runs in the second pic....is a Dentist...

Close, he's a gay prostitute
    Run until it sounds expensive

19. Collapse Details

Zing !
    Parabellum FJ²B

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    That poor driver. We almost had him convinced to drive on the sidewalks and down the oncoming traffic side of the street. But, the back ally was the best he came up with. Saved time though.

Sure is a good looking guy in that first picture....