1. Collapse Details
    Newer Truck Purchase Ideas
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Thinking about getting a newer tow rig. Currently have a HD 3/4 Chev 4x4 ext long box 454. Thinking about getting a 2011 or newer Ford 350SD crew 4x4 with the diesel.

Always been a GM guy, but the bailout kind of soured me.

Thoughts? I do not want a dually though, anybody modify a 450 into a single?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Early 2011 Fords with the 6.7's had some valve breaking issues. I would stick with a 12 or 13. I drove a new Super Duty a couple months ago and all I can say is, wow! I'm trying to figure out how to justify selling my 06 drw and getting a left over 13 srw and driving it every day instead of having a beater car and a dually that just sits around.

3. Collapse Details

Competitor / Contributor jetcruzr's Avatar
    It's tough to beat a GM with a crew cab short box, 4x4 Duramax Diesel....if you are not going with a dually. I have owned Ford Super Dutys as well as Chevy Duramaxs. The Ford is definitely a tougher truck, but it comes with a tougher ride. The GM was not as tough, but the creature comforts, ride and drivability made it more desirable as an every day driver. If you are looking for daily driver that will tow the boat on weekends, I would go with the GM. If you need to beat the daylights out of a truck every day and have it not be phased, go with the Ford. I have nothing but good things to say about both. They definitely have different strengths and weaknesses.

4. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    I just got rid of a 13 F350 DRW diesel, crew cab with long box when I left Montana. I used it for a couple of cross country pulls and it was fantastic......BUT Ford announced last summer at the Texas truck show, that they will be taking orders on the new 2015 F450 DRW this Spring. The new truck will have more than the 800 lbs of torque the 13 had, plus engine brake, bigger turbo and 19 inch tires instead of the 17's.

I hope to have some resto race boats actually finished in the near future and will be needing some torque to pull one specific one around to the various races and poker runs I am planning on attending.

I never owned a Ford....always a GM guy until I tried to buy a Suburban with a diesel in 2002 and found out they don't make them that way. So I picked up an Excursion in 2003 with the 7.3 diesel and have been very happy with it. Just turned 188K miles and no major problems at all.

As far as the rough ride without a trailer on, I understand what you are saying, but my 13 F350 was much smoother than many of the old pickups that we had at the boat co over the years when running empty. They have really improved the ride a lot.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

5. Collapse Details

Just broke 13k miles on my 6 months old 2013 F250 SBCC Diesel. LOVE it. Smooth, excellent power, killer interior. I work my truck, it tows pretty much daily. Max behind it so far has been about 10k lbs, handles it perfectly. First long tow with a boat was about a week ago, approx 7500 lb center console with T top to Stuart. Cruise control set at 68, 14.5 MPG..

The 250's towing capacity is the same as the SRW 350's now FWIW...

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    BBB715 has a 2011 I rode in up at Boyne Thunder. It ran well and I can't believe the mileage he's getting with it towing around the 39 Nor Tech.

I'm also leaning toward downsizing the number of vehicles. All I have to do is trade in one of the Vettes, the Trailblazer, the HD Silverado 3/4, and the '76 Olds and get a F250 or F350 4x4 SRCC 4x4.

Maybe I'll see what Bob has on the lot up in Boyne.....

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So the 250 and 350 have the same towing capacity, but different load capabilities?

8. Collapse Details

Used truck market has been nuts. Customers that have been looking for late model trucks have been going new. Price gets so close, makes it a easy choice.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    So you got a left over 2013 cc 4x4 diesel for cheap?? Looking for a cherry 76 olds 98 2 door with low miles?

10. Collapse Details

I have considered a SRW. I am getting tired of stability and no sway.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I hate the drw in the heavy snow. The rear wants tyo go all over the place when the ruts are deep.

12. Collapse Details

I have not experienced that. Between the weight of my truck and the 4x4 is hasn't been a concern.

13. Collapse Details

If your thinking Ford go see the boys at Great Lakes in Muskegon, there great to deal with and Marks a boater. They have great prices and great service.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Will do, thanks...

15. Collapse Details

We bought an F350 crew cab as a work truck. If it wasn't for my Excursions we probably wouldn't have gone Ford. Glad we did. Almost did the F250 but they have an extra tax on them here. With the tax they are more money then the F350.

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now that seems really weird. We know stupid people make up most of the politicians, but sometimes you wonder just how stupid they can possibly be!