Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Icon/Founding Member Top Banana's Avatar
    Rhode Island - Summers / Florida - Winters
    Quote Originally Posted by TUCK646 View Post
    * Statement
    A worthy mention for sure and one of the few boats that actually incorporated aero-dynamics into their design.

The first boat ran in the high 130mph range with 1100 hp engines and it could handle rough water in real world conditions. I remember a poker run out of St Pete and almost the whole fleet turned around before the bridge due to what they considered rough water. Five boats made it to the lunch stop.....Statement being one of them.

There was a bit of a controversy about the fact that so few felt they could run their boats in rough water. But the truth of the matter was they didn't feel safe,in them in those conditions. What Statement did show was that they are not a piece of jewelry or a painting....they build a real open ocean racing boat capable of keeping the owner and his guests safe and sound regardless of,the conditions.
    Light travels faster than sound....that is why some people appear bright until we hear them speak!!

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    As far as I know, no one has even attempted to make a race boat out of a Statement, but their original numbers for speed, and the rough water capabilities they have displayed, make it an interesting part of any discussion.

Would they break the 150 mark with the new power like was in the Outerlimits at LOTO?
    Would the floating cockpit allow you to corner harder in rough water in a race situation?
    How well does that design corner in choppy race conditions?

There are a lot of questions about the design that have never been answered because there are no race versions out there.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

I am going to chime in, and not be one sided. I think Charlie hit it on the head, depends on the ride you want and conditions. The traditional vee bottom is much better in snotty conditions. Today with the current technology and materials you can make a strong hull with very little weight. You can also use a custom lamination schedule to fit the way the owner is going to use the boat. Bob and I have spent many of hours working with the Engineers to learn the different materials and processes to do that.

Today going over 100 Mph, you can use reliable engines and cut down on fuel consumption.

I am a traditional offshore type of person. I boat on Lake Michigan and LOTO mainly for my leasure boating. I want the ability to slice through the rolling waves on Lake Michigan and have a good free board around me. If the boat is aerated, stepped, I want the ability to turn it at speed if needed. Therefore the design we use. We could gather a little more speed without the chines or adding a pad, or beam but the handling would be loose. Warpath took a 90 degree turn in Cowes at 85MPH and did not slip.

If I was looking at all out speed, I agree Mike Fiore has that today. The beam and design he uses, coupled with the lamination is fast.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Do you think a small pad would harm the cornering ability? Cause it would want to slide more than the reverse chine would control, or is there something else?

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I did look up the original tests powerboat did on the 43 Sunsation. 99.7 GPS with a pair 0r stock 700's in full luxury cabin trim with three on board. At this time I can't think of another better performer in the luxury condo offshore boat.

Maybe we should make some Best Vee Categories? Kind of like the old performance awards??

6. Collapse Details

The Sunsation also had incredible fuel economy, I think 2MG . I'll look it up.
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

What year did Sunsation start building the 43?
    I remember being at the Detroit boat show in '98 and they were showing the renderings of it and looking for orders.
    At that point, none had been built yet.
    A buddy of mine bought the 32' demo they had there with small blocks. At that time, it ran a respectable 67 mph. 7.4 upgrade would have only gotten 2 more mph.
    His first time out he almost killed me in that boat!
    He wasn't used to an offshore boat (had a ski boat before).
    After a spin that nearly ejected us, he asked me to drive and teach him a bit.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

Sunsation F-4, High Performer

Award-winning V-bottom dazzles test team.

12th July 2007.
    By Staff

Introducing any new performance boat is a gamble. As a builder, you’re betting that your research and development, tooling and prototype production costs will be recovered in future sales. But there are no guarantees—the more money you spend and the more time development and production take, the larger the risk. That’s especially true with a high-end, big-dollar product where the customer base is inherently limited.

So in no small way, you could call Wayne Schaldenbrand and his brothers at Sunsation Products Inc., high-stakes gamblers. They’re betting that their new-for-2007 F-4 stepped V-bottom will pay off. They’re betting that buyers will pass over the formidable custom V-bottom competition and throw down more than $600,000 for the 43-footer.

Our take, based on the brilliant F-4 we tested in Sarasota, Fla.? Don’t bet against them. The F-4 is that good.

http://features.boats.com/boat-conte...iew-powerboat/

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Do you think a small pad would harm the cornering ability? Cause it would want to slide more than the reverse chine would control, or is there something else?
    The Pad could cause the Bottom to slip and make the Chine "over react". We will be testing some changes in the bottom this spring.

Currently the idea is to have the 42 run 100 MPH + on the 725's with the full cabin. Still keeping the narrow beam that allows the ability to Split the waves, or as Bobby says "Bay Buster". Warpath did but it of course is a Race Layup. The current 42 came in right around Warpath's weight even with a interliner.

Today you can do amazing things with the materials availble to us.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by sgrady View Post
    The Pad could cause the Bottom to slip and make the Chine "over react". We will be testing some changes in the bottom this spring.

Currently the idea is to have the 42 run 100 MPH + on the 725's with the full cabin. Still keeping the narrow beam that allows the ability to Split the waves, or as Bobby says "Bay Buster". Warpath did but it of course is a Race Layup. The current 42 came in right around Warpath's weight even with a interliner.

Today you can do amazing things with the materials availble to us.
    I am a big fan of the New Warpath could you explain how the race layup can be close to the pleasure 42.
    Was Kevlar and carbon used in the race layup and what material was used for the bulkheads.
    Thanks plus I am free all spring so if you need a hand testing I am available.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    A naturally aspirated twin engine 42' full dress running at 100mph is a worthy accomplishment. Congrats!!

12. Collapse Details

Warpath is Kevlar and Carbon fiber, as all of our boats including the Scout, but all of her material is beefed up since she was built to run the Venture Cup a 2400 mile offshore race in very very rough waters. We also had a min weight for the boat. Couple that with Tanks to carry almost 600 gallons.

The new Warrior has the same Materials but the Layup and bulkheads are a little different since it is a pleasure version, ie Interliner. No corners cut just a different Application. If it would not of been an Endurance boat, and we were racing here in the states, Warpath would be quite a bit lighter. We use G-cell on the Bulkheads.

Seems everyone wants to come to test but noone wants to help in the prep, LOL

Ratickle remind me to get the G force chart for Serious to post. It shows the beating that the boats took.

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    A naturally aspirated twin engine 42' full dress running at 100mph is a worthy accomplishment. Congrats!!
    Thanks

14. Collapse Details

Nevermind I found it, this will tell you why Warpath is built the way she is. Every boat in the race had these installed.

And you thought we were there just for fun !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CPB-42 Test Data.pdf  
    Last edited by sgrady; 01-13-2014 at 08:15 PM.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks SGrady for the explanation will you have both boats at the Miami Show?

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by TURBO JET View Post
    Thanks SGrady for the explanation will you have both boats at the Miami Show?
    That is our plan, stop by Bob and I will be there all day, we will have some other surprises there as well.

17. Collapse Details

Got my plane ticket whats the best day to go to the show.

18. Collapse Details

I like the first day, but it is more expensive to get in $35 ? but the Beer is cheaper
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

I agree on the first day .

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    The Sunsation also had incredible fuel economy, I think 2MG . I'll look it up.

From Powerboat March 2007.

@40mph 2.4 MPG

@50mph 2.5 MPG

@60mph 2.0 MPG

@WOT 1.5 MPG

11,500 Lb boat with staggered Mercury Racing HP700Ci.
    Parabellum FJ²B