1. Collapse Details
    Weekend boating in SW Florida
    It was a beautiful calm weekend, so I just had to go boating. About a 50 mile round trip, to a spot I
    have not been to in about a year. Blue skies, calm seas, and gentle winds, all made for a very
    relaxing day on the boat.

to see all of the pictures, click here

IMAG0447001 by Frank Fasulo (appsyscons), on Flickr

IMAG0442001 by Frank Fasulo (appsyscons), on Flickr

[U]to see all of the pictures, click here[/U

2. Collapse Details

I wish I lived near the Ocean...oh wait

Love that pic of the quarantine sign (and Florida History) Just back from the beach..good day.
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I wish I lived near the Ocean...oh wait

Love that pic of the quarantine sign (and Florida History) Just back from the beach..good day.

Thanks.

FYI: These are cell phone photos. I find myself leaving the big canon body and lens home these days.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    What did they review for on the Quarantine stop?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    What did they review for on the Quarantine stop?
    In the early nineteenth century, Spanish fishermen from Cuba established "fishing ranchos" on islands along the west coast of Florida. Fish were caught, dried, and then transported to back to Cuba. Two of these ranchos were found on Cayo Costa in 1879 during a survey conducted by the Smithsonian Institution. At that time the island was called "La Costa Island".

In the late nineteenth century a quarantine station was established on the northern end of Cayo Costa for immigrants entering the country through Boca Grande Pass. One of the nature trails, Quarantine Docks Trail, tells the story of this time in the island's history. In the early 1800s, when a ship came in from overseas, they had to dock and wait for the doctor to come aboard and make sure everyone was healthy. However these docks are no longer standing, and the house or structure that held people waiting for quarantine has never been located. These facilities were used by the U.S. military in the early 20th century to inspect men on board ships for yellow fever and other known communicable diseases.

Cayo Costa, was also an early 20th century pioneer fishing village where boats flocked to the docks and talk of the day's catch filled the air. There were about 20 fishing families that lived on Cayo Costa during that time. The community had a school, a post office, a grocery storeand a cemetary. Another of the parks trails, Cemetery Trail, cuts through the heart of Cayo Costa State Park. Along the trail is a small, marked cemetery where members of the Coleman family and Capt. Peter Nelson are buried. There also are a number of unmarked graves throughout the island.

Even with the rich documented history of the island there is also a pirate tale to be told about Cayo Costa. Legend has it that Cayo Costa's second name, Gassparilla Island, comes from the pirate Jose Gasper. Gaspar, a respected, Spanish naval officer who turned pirate reportly settled on the island in the 1700's. Stories about Gasper say he was framed for stealing Spain's crowned jewels by a jilted lover. In 1783, upon hearing news of his imminent arrest and execution, Gaspar commandeered a ship, the Floridablanca, and escaped. Swearing an oath to revenge his treatment by Spanish officials, he resolved to plunder any ship flying the flag of Spain. Gaspar sailed his hijacked ship to the Gulf coast of Florida where he established his base and adopted the name Gasparilla.Â

For the next 38 years the pirate Gasparilla terrorized ships from all countries, including Spain's. Some report he plundered more then 400 ships during his vicious career. Widely regarded as fearless and ferocious, Gasparilla showed no mercy in battle. He routinely, killed all passengers and crew, with the exception of beautiful women (whom he made concubines). Occasionally, women from wealthy families were held for ransom on close by Captiva Island. Accordingly, Gasparilla and his men used Cayo Costa and other barriar islands as hiding places for thier stolen loot.

In 1821, at age 65, Gasparilla decided it was time to retire. Florida now belonged to the United States and the old pirate found the pressure of the U.S. navy more then he could bear. However, on the day that Gasparilla was to divide the treasure between himself and his men, the U.S. navy attacked Gasparilla and the Floridablanca. Supposedly when the pirate realized he was defeated he climbed to the bow of his ship and yelled "Gasparilla dies by his own hand, not the enemy's". He then wrapped the anchor's chain around his waist and, still holding his cutlass high in one hand, jumped into the dark waters and disappeared.Â

Only a small portion of Gasparilla's treasure was found. It is believed that about $30 million dollars in gold and jewels still remain hidden around the Gulf coast of Florida.Â

From the Calusa Indians to fearless pirates and pioneering Cuban fishermen, Cayo Costa has been home to many and yet, has changed little. Cayo Costa offers a rare glimpse of what Florida was like hundreds of years ago. The island is a special place and one our guide's favorite spots to stop. On a trip to Cayo Costa vistors of all ages will enjoy the island's bounty and perhaps, thanks to Gasparilla, someone will dig up more then just sand dollars

6. Collapse Details

I finished a book about Captain Cook's travels a year or so ago...interesting enough was that they had to pull into an Asian port to be quarantined....and after two plus years at sea he lost most of his men to disease from the quarantine station
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by appsyscons View Post
    Only a small portion of Gasparilla's treasure was found. It is believed that about $30 million dollars in gold and jewels still remain hidden around the Gulf coast of Florida.Â
    On my way. Do you know all the best spots to search?

8. Collapse Details
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    On my way. Do you know all the best spots to search?
    Yes, but I am not talking.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    We have ways!!!!!

10. Collapse Details

frank, beautiful pix but do you know why the water there is brown ?
    Issch....

Jim

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Spudsbud View Post
    frank, beautiful pix but do you know why the water there is brown ?
    Issch....

Jim
    An excessive amount of rain, has caused runoff to discolor the surrounding waters. Lake
    Okeechobee is so over full, that the gates and locks along the Okeechobee Waterway
    have been opened to allow water to drain all the way out to the Gulf. Reports show the
    dark water extends several miles offshore.

12. Collapse Details

It's been a bit brown in the Keys (nearshore) because the wind has been howling out of the SE all summer long (20 MPH) I was in the water more in February than June, July, and August . Lots of sea weed and jellyfish.
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Jellyfish, I pretty much hate those friggin things.

They're kinda like WAR, What are they good for???????