Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    1987 38' KV Scarab - $25000 (Grand Rapids)
    Blog Entries
    1987 38' KV Scarab. Was formerly one of the few Miami Vice addition boats, one out of 100 ever made.
    - New gel cote on hull
    - New vinyl interior
    - 8 hours on rebuilt BB 454's @ 9-1 Comp. with many HP parts Including two new Pro Systems 950 marine Holly carbs. (engines built by Duratech Racing Engines)
    - Newer vinyl graphics
    - New stereo system
    -New cover
    -New paint & bearings on trailer
    The boat is always stored inside and has only been used a handful of times in the last 10 years, thus influencing my decision to sell.
    Asking $25000.00 OBO no reasonable offer will be refused.
    For more info. call 1-616-890-3397 Sorry phone does not receive text messages.

1987 38' KV Scarab

2. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

For a short time last fall I used to drive by that on my way home from work each day.
    Looks pretty cool.

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Why show a pic of engines that are not operational? Looks like the boat had 370's in it originally.

Oh yea, make me laugh about the Miami Vice thing.

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    Why show a pic of engines that are not operational? Looks like the boat had 370's in it originally.

Oh yea, make me laugh about the Miami Vice thing.
    Jim, what makes you say the motors aren't operational?
    And what makes you say it originally had 370's?

I'm not questioning your statements, but rather how you can tell?

Those are TRS drives if I'm not mistaken.

Personally, I think the boat looks like chit, they had to use 20 cans of Krylon on those motors, and then over a $1000 in AN fittings.
    The graphics suck.
    The trailer looks just a step above a "yard" trailer.

Big project.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

I am not saying they will not or does not work. Simply they won't as shown in the picture.

There are no tail pieces on the exhaust. The "C" hose that connect to the thermostat housing is just sitting there barely touching and no clamp. The throttle cables and attaching pieces are not there. That is at first quick glance.

They could have been 330's or 370's. I stated 370's and gave it the benefit of doubt, because of the valve covers. The oil filter adapter and 10 pin plug locations are telling. 400's and 420's had the oil filters mounted on the rear of the head not on the risers. Same is true for the 10 pin connector. It does have 420 exhaust but, they should be thrown back in the garbage IMO where there were likely found. Merc abandoned them after first season due to all the engine failures they caused by leaking at the gasket surfaces. They were replaced by Gils.

Did you notice the dryer vent hose on the blowers? Is the center stringer painted black or is it just that dirty?

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    they had to use 20 cans of Krylon on those motors
    Maybe it got the aerosol overhaul in the boat and they painted the bilge black to cover all the over spray. If you look closely on the port engine you can see the oil fill cap is off and the hole is taped and painted over.

8. Collapse Details

Jim, I see what you mean. Looks like the BW trans so must have been 370/400s at one point. Siily question, is the aluminized vent hose a no no for engine compartment? That's what I've installed so I'll re-do it if there is a good reason.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

9. Collapse Details

I am not aware of any reason why not to use it. You should be careful because it is conductive. It reminded me of a boat a saw once that everything he rigged with was from home depot. It had washing machine hose, dryer vent hose and exterior deck screws.

10. Collapse Details

In person, or at least driving by on the road as it sits on a trailer, and by water (Hot Boat weekend at Hardy last year) I thought it looked nice.
    Certainly looked like a decent enough rig.
    38 Scarab asking 25k doesn't seem terrible to me either.
    I never been on it or any closer than the pics, but did not think it was as terrible as it is sounding here really.
    To each their own for sure.
    And I was assuming the motor pics were as they were in the process of getting re-installed.
    Not my boat, do not know it personally, just adding my 2 cents.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0627.jpg   P1040899.jpg   P1040898.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

It very well could be a nice boat. The owner would have better served himself to show a different picture of the engines. Not sure the Miami Vice thing helps either. That is what got me to laugh and nit pik.

Never seen a flat black bilge before. I can't make any sense or that. Just another thing to raise suspicion IMO. Just like they say in the car business, "There is a butt for every seat". Some one is going to love it.

12. Collapse Details

Maybe I was a bit harsh.
    The graphics are just not for me, and when I see "Miami Vice" edition Scarab, this is not even close to what I picture in my head.

The motors certainly look cobbled, and I stand by my "Krylon" statement.

13. Collapse Details

Since I'm a 38 Scarab guy, I'll toss in my thoughts. I like cleaner graphics, so of course the flames aren't my cup of tea. The Miami Vice thing is way over and done UNLESS a particular boat has direct ties to the show or is TRULY a rare KV correctly restored just leave that out of an ad. I also assumed that the motors were in process. I'm probably the poster boy for going anywhere (yep, even Home Depot) to find correct hardware. My standards are engineering standards and cost rather than name brand bling, UNLESS that name brand equipment serves a very necessary function. I like strong, corrosion resistant, functional, decent looking items that are reasonably priced and off the shelf where possible. Interestingly I've been thinking about hot water heater hose from my thermostat housings to my exhaust manifolds. I really welcome any comments on that as I'm under the impression that the higher pressure, hot water braided rated stainless steel hose may be appropriate for this use; of course I've headed off in silly directions before, so again, whaddya think?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

14. Collapse Details

The only thing from Home Depot that is welcome in my boat is Super33 electrical tape. And that is just for an emergency. Like if I cut myself and need to keep from bleeding in my boat.

That's it, I 'm going back to being silent JimBob.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    My standards are engineering standards and cost rather than name brand bling, UNLESS that name brand equipment serves a very necessary function. I like strong, corrosion resistant, functional, decent looking items that are reasonably priced and off the shelf where possible.
    Jeff, I'm close to your thoughts.
    I want things to look nice, but not so nice that I'm afraid to use it for it's intended purpose.
    Simply put, if someone spilled a beer in my boat, I'd mop it up with a towel and relax. I'm not the guy that would make the beer spiller "walk the plank".
    After a day on the water, I'm not the guy that is gonna go straight home and spend 2 hrs detailing the boat before putting it away.
    I'm not the guy that will have a mirror mounted under the hatch to show off the motor. I'm not even the guy that lifts the hatch at the dock so people can see the engine/rigging.
    I appreciate tight rigging, but I appreciate it for function over "pretty".

I realize we're kind of getting off topic here.

16. Collapse Details

The only thing from Home Depot that is welcome in my boat is Super33 electrical tape. And that is just for an emergency. Like if I cut myself and need to keep from bleeding in my boat.

Funny.
    I used to be a cable contractor years ago. Climbing poles and ladders and using a splicing knife on the plastic jacket of the huge coax aluminum main line sent me for the napkins in the truck and the Super 33 when the bleeding required it. I still only use Super 33, and recently almost chit when I couldn't find it at Lowes.
    I was afraid the world had lost another perfect thing in favor of generic chinese crap.

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I'm not the guy that will have a mirror mounted under the hatch to show off the motor.
    I just assumed boats came that way.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    Since I'm a 38 Scarab guy, I'll toss in my thoughts. I like cleaner graphics, so of course the flames aren't my cup of tea. The Miami Vice thing is way over and done UNLESS a particular boat has direct ties to the show or is TRULY a rare KV correctly restored just leave that out of an ad. I also assumed that the motors were in process. I'm probably the poster boy for going anywhere (yep, even Home Depot) to find correct hardware. My standards are engineering standards and cost rather than name brand bling, UNLESS that name brand equipment serves a very necessary function. I like strong, corrosion resistant, functional, decent looking items that are reasonably priced and off the shelf where possible. Interestingly I've been thinking about hot water heater hose from my thermostat housings to my exhaust manifolds. I really welcome any comments on that as I'm under the impression that the higher pressure, hot water braided rated stainless steel hose may be appropriate for this use; of course I've headed off in silly directions before, so again, whaddya think?
    I think that some of it comes down to the make and type of boat. I had one set of standards when I restored a Wellcraft and a Chris Craft, and another set when I restored an Apache.
    On the Apache, I "skimped" on nothing. No offense to Wellcraft and Chris Craft. I would own them again.
    And I would not go overboard on everything again, too.

19. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Now that's funny...
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by fund razor View Post
    I just assumed boats came that way.
    Waterbeds come with a mirror mounted over the mattress too.
    You can watch yourself sleep