1. Collapse Details
    peer-to-peer boat rentals, Good idea?
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Cruzin grows boating with easy peer-to-peer boat rentals
    Cruzin
    April 8, 2013
    Filed under News

Anyone that has been around the recreational boating industry for any time at all knows that to grow boating new ideas are needed. The industry also knows that experience in a boat, on the water, is the best way to attract new participants and to get them interested in adding boating to their lifestyle. One such new idea comes from Cruzin.com, America’s only fully insured peer-to-peer boat rental marketplace.

Cruzin provides a secure place for boat owners to generate revenue, while qualified boat renters get access to a diverse inventory of boats at affordable rates. The idea is to match up boating enthusiasts who don’t own a boat with current boat owners who want to defray some of the costs of keeping their vessel.

As The Economist reported recently, the peer-to-peer economy in vacation rentals and car sharing has become mainstream and now Cruzin introduces an entirely new level of professionalism and security to the fledgling P2P boat rental space. “The success of collaborative consumption hinges on establishing a community of trust, and providing security to those who participate,” explains Jaclyn Baumgarten, Cruzin CEO. “With Cruzin, boat owners can feel comfortable knowing their boat is fully insured and that we’ve taken steps to pre-qualify the renters. Their trust is vital to us.”

In addition to matching up boat owners with those who want to rent, Cruzin provides insurance, pre-screening of renters, towing services, and boating safety education. The peer-to-peer relationships encourage feedback on the website that helps others make decisions about what kind of boat to rent, to whom to rent, and walks everyone through the process to make it as simple as possible. Boat owners create a profile page on Cruzin listing their craft with photos, specs, availability and rental prices. Renters complete an Experian background check and submit boating education and experience for their profile before inquiring about a boat.

Cruzin insures both owners and renters with $1,000,000 in hull and liability insurance from one of the world’s top marine insurers, a world class AM Best rated A+ (superior) firm. Peace of mind is ensured for all with BoatUS on-water towing services should assistance be needed. Additionally through BoatUS, Cruzin provides free access to US Coast Guard approved boating safety education and certification as part of its careful boater-qualification services.

“Cruzin is not just a simple listing service or aggregator of charter companies,” said Baumgarten. “We very carefully selected our partners and worked with them to craft solutions that are properly suited for the boating sector. Our members’ satisfaction and security are our top priorities.” Baumgarten, together with co-founder and experienced blue-water sailor Mark Harrison founded Cruzin in 2012.

The company is currently launching their beta program in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida with a pilot at Harbour Towne Marina in conjunction with Cruzin partner Westrec Marinas. “Westrec has always been focused on hosting and providing quality boating experiences for our marina customers. We see tremendous value in the approach that Cruzin is utilizing in leveraging the growing peer-to-peer economy in attracting a new audience to boating in an affordable and hassle free manner,” said Bill Anderson, president, Westrec Marinas. “The idea that it includes a value proposition for our existing customer in helping them to defer some of their boating expense is a bonus.”

Cruzin is actively seeking beta users. Invitations to join the Cruzin beta site can be requested at Cruzin, where visitors can also review an overview, “How it Works”. A national launch of the site is expected this summer.

BoatingIndustry.com : Cruzin grows boating with easy peer-to-peer boat rentals
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I wonder what the limitations will be? Not sure it is something I'd do.....

3. Collapse Details

They mean Sea Rays and Pontoons, right?

4. Collapse Details

I always wonder about this stuff...
    I see boat and PWC rentals, I just cannot understand how the liability would not be so great as to eat ALL the profit.
    I know I would not be interested in allowing anyone to use my stuff.
    I would not want the owner blaming me for damage I didn't do, but cannot document I didn't...
    Too many bad scenarios, but...if someone wants to let me use their 100 mph rig, I will give it a shot.

5. Collapse Details

Don't see how it would work out in our arena
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

6. Collapse Details

They had a twenty nine Fountain down here for rent in 1998, it was really expensive. They also provided a Captain if you wanted it. That boat sank at the docks unrented.
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

Call Chris Reindl and rent a Batboat
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

8. Collapse Details

1 of the larger Marina's up here have in passed years held a small fleet, 8-10 boats I think of 19' & 21' Crown's. They rented 1/2 or full days. Beginning of each season, they sold last years rentals & got new. Now there had to be some kind of deal thru the Manu. to get people to trade up & but their bigger boat so the Marina got a deal on the rental fleet. Mind these boats are small family day cruisers & towable water toys of any kind were not allowed. Cost probably under $30K. They still do it so I can only imagine they're making $$$.
    Six figure ++ 36'r's or bigger??? To rent??? Not unless you've got an American Express "Black" in your wallet.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    They had a twenty nine Fountain down here for rent in 1998, it was really expensive. They also provided a Captain if you wanted it. That boat sank at the docks unrented.
    To be fair, all the 29s and 32s would sink at the dock, given the opportunity.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Ouch.....

I'm wondering if it is more for friends to rent to friends soo you would still be covered?

11. Collapse Details

I used to know a guy who rented friends.

12. Collapse Details

Friends for life ????
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Friends for life ????
    more like friends by the hour
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Yhey have some decent boat rentals here on Mallorca I've seen. I wonder if maybe there's not as great a problem with attorneys and lawsuits when (not if) something goes wrong???

15. Collapse Details

There are 3 or 4 fish/pontoon boat rental places in KW, nothing too quick though.
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

Rented at toon a few summers ago for a day.
    I was surprised it had a 75 on it even.
    Then I was really surprised to see another rental place's with over 200s.
    I would have thought that was a bit risky for the renters.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Maybe you could rent one to enter the toon race on LOTO??