Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Considering the Purchase of a Carrera 26'
    Registered
    Hello All,

First of all thank you for allowing me into the Serious Offshore Forum.

I am an enthusiast with little experience in powerboats and at present, I am considering the purchase of a Carrera Powerboat (pics attached).

First of all I haven't found much info on the Carrera Brand of hull in particular this one. The actual model name is completely beyond me! It does however look similar to that of the Carrera Cartier 27' with Bathing platform (pic also attached)

The powerplant consists of a single 454 Mercruiser Magnum with Bravo 1 Drive.

The hull and powerplant look to be in good condition and I am looking for advice on what the pros and cons are of this model and in particular what gremlins may be laying in wait!!!!!

Your help is much appreciated
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1187.jpg   IMG_1188.JPG   IMG_1189.jpg  

IMG_1190.jpg   IMG_1213.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

It almost goes without saying, but--- get a survey. Any soft spots in the transom, stringers, etc.? Test driving will reveal much (not all) about powertrain. Ease of starting, idling, throttle response, ease of shifting, peak rpms, steering firmness/response. Survey should detail condition of systems and accessories, leaks, construction faults, etc. Notice it didn't have tabs; may not be necessary as I have no experience with Carerra. Good luck, keep us posted.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks for the info Old Guy. Ill be taking her for a test next week. Will most definitely let you know

4. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Well, Carrera's have an interesting storyline.

The Carrera boat company from Miami started in the early 80s, then in the mid 90s it sold to new owners who started to make their open fish versions using the same hull molds. Thse are good center console boats. The original owners are the Picons, Humberto was the main owner but there were many other Picons involved.

They are real offshore raceboats with a great bottom design. The green 24 Carrera raced by the Boomer and Anthony Smith in OPA is a Carrera.

Then there are the California Carrera's. That is what you have the brochure for in your post. I think the one you are considering may be a Florida boat. What year is it? And what is the HIN number?

The original Carrera's had a lot of really sweet offshore wins.

There was one sponsored by "El Nuevo Dia" in Puerto Rico. And another was CocaCola sponsored that I remember.

I think there was a 24, a 27, a 30, a 32, and a 36. From what my stuff shows, they did not build a 26 but, their 27 was 26'1" I've read somewhere.

They were also one of the very first stepped boats on the race circuit.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

5. Collapse Details

Paul, it's kind of like the Mirage - Mirage story

6. Collapse Details

Welcome to SOS.

7. Collapse Details

WEll looking at the piks, it looks recently painted, the interior is a dark color, may get hot in the sun. I am suspecting the transom was recently redone. stringers?? By whome and did they know what they were doing?? What makes me suspicious is that there are no tabs and the X is insanely low on that. that will eat quite a bit of speed unless you put a shorty on it and then it still looks like it might be low. The drive and gimble dont look bad per say but there cosmetic appearance doesnt match the rest of the boat. The rear tie downs arent 'normal" for a boat and in the normal location. Im not trying to say anything bad about the boat, just saying have it checked carefully as a few things just don't look "right".
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

8. Collapse Details

Registered
    Thanks Don

@ Ratickle, Thanks for the info, I'll be taking a tape measure next time to get the full length. I was told by the current owner that the only difference between this Carrera and the Carrera Cartier (in pic) is the extra length in the bathing platform; apart from the interior and forward deck. So maybe this is where the discrepancy is coming from???

@ Phragle, please excuse my beginner knowledge.... but what do you mean by X? The current owner tells me that the he had never used tabs on the boat. Your suspiciuosness is making a little sense to me If I do end up taking the boat the cosmetics will be changing, ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!

Thanks again everybody for all of your help

9. Collapse Details

Hop, the X dimension is the measurement between the the crankshaft (or drive input shaft) centerline and the bottom of the boat - in your case (a single engine) the bottom of the V. Phragle is saying that too big a number or too great a distance -putting the propshaft too low in the water can be somewhat mitigated by a shorty lower unit on your drive. Indeed, the transom seems to have been reworked as the tie-downs are not in the standard position. This not necessarily a bad thing but it's at least a pink flag to look deeper. Good luck. Jeff

10. Collapse Details

Few racers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 24 carrera damn carrera.jpg   damn%20carrera.jpg  

11. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I don't think it is like either mentioned or pictured. The strakes appear different then the Cali brochure. And I seriously doubt the east coast on would have installed swivel helm seats or that steering wheel. I suggest you confirm the hull id matches and be certain it is not some knock off.

Deprecated Browser Error

12. Collapse Details

Click the link it is labeled incorrectly

13. Collapse Details

I have to agree with the others, this boat just looks "strange".
    The X-dim is extremely low.
    The rear tie downs are out of place.
    The interior doesn't look like it even belongs in a boat.

The trailer is "interesting" as well. I'd want a dual axle for a 26/7 boat. The four wheels on one axle is strange.
    Also, the trailer bunks look cobbled together and the trailer appears way too short.
    It appears the bunks stop a few feet short of the transom, which will cause some serious hook in the hull with the weight of the motor/drive not being supported.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

14. Collapse Details

Registered
    Hello All,

I finally got some answers......

The hull IS a FAKE and not built by Carerra. A plug was made from another Carrera boat here in Malta so safe to say that I haven't bought it!!!

@Buoy, the trailer axle is a full diff assembly from a Ford F150!!!!

THanks again for all you help guys..... the hunt continues

15. Collapse Details

Does the fake have a drain plug? Doesn't look like it.

16. Collapse Details

Registered
    I didnt even check for it.... :/ In any case its not a boat that you would pay good money for..... or then again, i could offer an amount equivalent to the worth of the engine and drive and then purchase another hull

17. Collapse Details

Glad you figured it out.

I am amused by numerous points. The square hatch round hatch thing, The numbers 38 on the hull side and a apparent model number on the cockpit side 790. Twin hatches for a single engine each with a V8 decal. Finally cabin cruiser cleat and chocks on the bow and nothing anywhere else.

Best of all is the name tough stuff offshore with the cabin cruiser steering wheel and swivel seats. I can only imagine how ugly the engine compartment is.

Best of Luck on your hunt. You now know everything you do not want in a boat. I think the deck came off an older Baja Force.

18. Collapse Details

I just figured it out!! Its a chinese Carrera!!!
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

19. Collapse Details

Maybe North Korean origin

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HoppingMad View Post
    I didnt even check for it.... :/ In any case its not a boat that you would pay good money for..... or then again, i could offer an amount equivalent to the worth of the engine and drive and then purchase another hull
    Well, I guess the good news is that your result made you live up to your screen name......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!