1. Collapse Details
    A Man, An VIB (Very Important Bracelet) and a....CAR????
    A Man, a Bracelet and a Car
    Latham Marine: All American -- from their parts to their hearts

The etching is barely visible, rubbed nearly smooth from more than 20-years of wear. But Eric Dallin knew what was once there, and knew the name he was looking for: Capt. Robert Douglas Avery.

Dallin, a 39-year old law enforcement officer and marine industry producer from Chapel Hill, North Carolina, thought he was looking for a slice of pizza during the recent Miami International Boat Show, but what he saw first was the POW/MIA Dragster displayed at the Miami International Boat Show, in the Latham Marine booth.

The ‘55 Chevy Bel aire—restored by Army veteran Max Loffgren and a team of vets, family and friends—is an eye-catching, gloss-black showpiece, hand-painted with the names of all 3,578 MIAs and POWs from the Viet Nam war in silver. Dallin’s story is one of many that occur as the car tours the nation- in tribute to all who served- presented by the non-profit, Never Forgotten Inc. The organization, which helps veterans and their families in various associations like the POW Network, National League and National Alliance of Families, was founded by Loffgren in 1993.

Three years earlier, Dallin was a high school junior and member of the Civil Air Patrol. His Unit Leader, Joe Tanner, began a tradition when members reach the rank of Sergeant, offering each a POW/MIA bracelet, with the caveat that accepting the gift was making a promise to never take it off. “If it bothers you, think of what these guys had to endure,” Dallin recalls his mentor saying. He has worn the bracelet ever since.

There was the time that he lost the bracelet while boating, and a friend – knowing how devastated Dallin was – had a replacement made. “I can’t image not having it on, because I gave my word,” Dallin said, “but if I am ever going to take it off, this would be the time.”

Dallin was responding to Loffgren’s invitation to leave the bracelet on the car’s roll-bar, as many others have done.
    He becomes visibly moved when talking about the meaning behind the bracelet, and Capt. Avery. Dallin has researched the Marine Corp Captain whose plane went down over North Viet Nam in 1968. He has been to the memorial wall and taken etchings of Avery’s name. He also discovered that Avery’s status was changed from Missing to Killed in Action, though no remains were ever uncovered. But the bracelet remained on Dallin’s wrist in tribute and because he made a promise to Tanner, who is now doing mission work in Viet Nam.

After Lengthy conversations with Loffgren and Bob & Kathy Latham, Dallin ate his pizza while circling the car. The time must have been reflective, because he had reached a decision to leave Capt. Avery’s bracelet with those of his comrades. “This is hard,” Dallin said as he placed the bracelet among the others, his eyes moistening, “It has been a part of me.” Latham Marine hosted the car as part of its 40th Anniversary Celebration, having presented the car at several different venues.
    After a final moment of reflection, Dallin turned from the dragster with a huge smile and the proclamation, “I’ll need to get a new bracelet now.” He didn’t need to wait long.

As is tradition with those leaving bracelets with the car, Dallin was presented with a new one by Kathy Latham. Air Force Lt. Col. M.J. “Bat” Masterson went missing over Laos in the same year as Avery.

Dallin will continue his habit of wearing the bracelet and informing people who ask what the bracelet stands for and means. “It takes a lot more explaining than it should,” he says dismissively, “but a big part of it is generational. That’s why I’ll keep wearing the bracelet. So we never forget.”
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 157.jpg   165.jpg   171.jpg  

174.jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Very moving
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yep, thanks....
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!