1. Collapse Details
    $2 Billion Gambling Addiction??????
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Exclamation
    Some things just make you go WTF?????

Former San Diego Mayor Maureen O’Connor acknowledged in federal court Thursday that she took $2 million from her late husband's charitable foundation to pay for her addiction to video poker — and lost $1 billion wagering over the course of a decade.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

O’Connor, the mayor of California’s second largest city from 1986 to 1992, pleaded not guilty to money laundering as part of a deal with prosecutors that will defer the charges for two years as she attempts to repay the debt.

An attorney for O’Connor, Eugene Iredale, told reporters outside the courthouse that his client had severe health problems, including a brain tumor, that led to her gambling addition, according to NBC San Diego.

Iredale said his client won more than $1 billion from 2000 to 2009 playing video poker in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and San Diego, but lost most of it.

After dipping into the red, she wound up compiling $13 million in debt, according her attorney.

Prosecutors allege that between September 2008 and March 2009, the 66-year-old took more than $2,088,000 from the foundation started by her late husband, Jack-in-the-Box founder Robert O. Peterson.

Former San Diego mayor acknowledges using charity for gambling, losing $1 billion - U.S. News
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

I don't get gambling addiction, its just not fun losing money.

3. Collapse Details

Up a billion, down a billion. Pretty soon you're talking about real money!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

4. Collapse Details

Had my boat parked at a co-workers house near the boat ramp in KW. He lost three houses , given to him by his grandmother(completely paid for)....these were worth about $400,000 each in 2004, he also lost all of the rent money they were accumulating by playing video poker machines at the Moose Club ....where he was one of the Manager/Bartenders ....He would lose $300 to $1000 a night...these were $.25 machines.....twenty five f*cking cents....a major jackpot was only $250 .....His older brother still has two houses....so of course he is suing his older brother to try to get more money....what a turd.
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

I just don't get how people can lose all their money on gambling. The only thing I "gamble" on is lotto tickets. The game I play is min $10million jackpot. I go to the same gas station for gas, so I have their rewards point card. Might as well collect them. You can use points to buy things in their store. Only thing worth buying is lotto tickets, so I use them for that. So basically playing for free!

6. Collapse Details

I've got a $4 a day scratch off addiction.....I have $70 plus bucks of 1 , 2 and 5 dollar winners to trade in today.
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

When I was younger played scratch tickets and won $1,000. Stopped playing after that.

8. Collapse Details

I traded in $48 dollars worth today(out of $70), bought $20 dollars worth and kept the rest in cash, have hit $6 back....saving one for tomorrows morning coffee.
    Parabellum FJ²B

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by poncho View Post
    When I was younger played scratch tickets and won $1,000. Stopped playing after that.
    a textbook case of "quit while you're ahead" , eh?
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

10. Collapse Details

Somebody in Key West hit $17,000,000 last night....I mentioned on Face book that if they were not a Republican before...they are now
    Parabellum FJ²B

11. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    a textbook case of "quit while you're ahead" , eh?
    Yep, knew wouldn't win that big again so quit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Somebody in Key West hit $17,000,000 last night....I mentioned on Face book that if they were not a Republican before...they are now
    Nice thing about Canada is they don't tax "gambling" winnings. So you win $17mil you keep it. Why we still have online gambling.