1. Collapse Details
    1978 36' Excalibur re-build w/ triple outboards
    Here's a recent re-build of a 1978 Excalibur 36' (I believe a Bill Farmer & Don Abel design since it was built in Sarasota) A good friend is the owner who purchased it in 1983 and finally decided to "do something with it". The twin outboards (not sure what the originals were) were removed and triple Suzuki DF300's were hung from a transom platform w/ a swim ladder. (jackplates not hydraulic –a mistake!) The cabin, cockpit seats, and helm were upgraded as well as adding an arch. The original companionway door is the same. The beautiful teak deck was "untouched" other than sanding & oil. The hull wasn't modified other than adding a windlass & anchor. I'm unsure if the current windshield was original. He can't remember; and I can't find any other Excalibur hull design similar to this one. The HID is definitely Excalibur; as it begins with "NAP"04282 M78D. She's berthed in SW Florida and likes the shallows of The Keys & the Bahamas. More than a few issues have arisen since her modifications -fuel tank leak, sits ass heavy, improper vent line routing, etc. All in all, she runs well with the triple Zukes, but I think the 3rd engine adds too much weight. I also found her sister ship sitting in Ft. Myers which I visited. I have photos of her too which I'll post. It still as the Excalibur & Sword logo on the gunwale. Any comments, assistance, advice, is more than welcomed! thanks. Phil in Chicago, IL.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo (4).jpg   photo (6).jpg   image.jpeg  

image (3).jpeg   image (2).jpeg   photo (2).jpg  

2. Collapse Details

Welcome to SOS

Beautiful boat....pic #4 is in Key West....I rebuilt the interior of the Tortuga IV back in 2004 or 2005.
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Love it. Welcome.

I would think the third engine to be a plus and any balance issue it may have can remedied by how the boat is loaded. Do you have any pix of it floating where you can see the side of the boat and platform? I love the teak too.

Thanks for sharing

4. Collapse Details

Thanks Bobcat! YES! ..Key West. As you notice, we're on the "yacht dock" at Conch Marina. I'm curious if you had any issues with the "large female owner" of the Tortuga IV?? She has a reputation of being "rather difficult" with transient boaters and the marina staff. She seemed nice enough, but complained that they assigned The Excalibur too far forward on the dock (it's a tight approach for the IV.) I hear she put the boat & slip up for sale recently. Great people at Conch though.

5. Collapse Details

Thanks Mobilemercman! It's a great site with fantastic resources! I"ll upload a good side pic shortly. To give you an idea, when her tanks are topped off and at berth, dock neighbors have actually asked if she's taking on water. In my opinion, the swim platform was affixed too low and should have had hydraulic jackplates. However, some architects mentioned that other issues arise if the platform was raised too high. It takes a bit to get her on plane w/ the motors tucked under, but once on; her cav plates are correct when trimmed. It may seem comical, but I installed 800 McDonald's fun balls to the engine mount platform = buoyancy & volume nixing any water weight. It actually helped a bit.

6. Collapse Details

ain't gonna touch the "fun balls" subject
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by old377guy View Post
    ain't gonna touch the "fun balls" subject
    Well you're not a young man anymore....

@ Philo....A brother and sister owned that...and another down in Costa Rica....His name was Danny.....Hers was maybe Susan.....they were a hefty bunch....I go 240.....and they were larger
    Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    Nearly everything involves some level of compromise. Whether the bracket got mounted higher or you find the height by adding height with jack plates On the back side. Either way they now appear to be near a good starting point and they may appreciate being higher. I don't think hydraulic plates would make you any happier. Plus they would put more weight on the transom. Once you find a good height there are few if any reasons to change it. If the bracket was mounted higher and the inside was braced accordingly I believe it would be better the raising them on the engine side.

You have all season to decide whether or not you will make changes next winter.

I would suggest first order of business be exploring propeller mods or changes. Many props have holes drilled in them on the back side of the leading edge. That allows the engine to rev up much like slipping a clutch in a car. I suspect it bogs and labors now. If that is the case there are ways to help it get on plane with prop mods.

Very cool boat.

9. Collapse Details

[QUOTE=Bobcat;598523]Well you're not a young man anymore....

HEY! please reference the thread where I clearly pointed out that I'm S E N S I T I V E, now, as you were, sailor.
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

10. Collapse Details

A Friend had one of those in Chicago years ago. Had Chrysler 440's and inboards. It was a great party boat

Mark