Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Collapse Details

Without detracting from the other guys that created offshore racing videos, it is beyond even discussing that the Needlenose coverage was far and away the best. The quality of Phil's video work was so professional, and the narration that T2x provided offered a level of competence and experience that was so much better than everything else. I remember a race in Barnegat Bay back in the mid 90's, when we were running 1st overall for several laps until a navigaion error changed things in a hurry! Rich's commentary was something along the lines of "...and Euromarine goes from first to fourth! How'd you do that guys?!..." If you were running great he would say so, and if you were stinking up the joint he would say that too! That type of candor made the whole product so much better!

Thanks guys, and the Needle Nose Racing Team offshore racing coverage is sorely missed!

Tom Caruso
    Total Marine

2. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TGC-32 View Post
    Without detracting from the other guys that created offshore racing videos, it is beyond even discussing that the Needlenose coverage was far and away the best. The quality of Phil's video work was so professional, and the narration that T2x provided offered a level of competence and experience that was so much better than everything else. I remember a race in Barnegat Bay back in the mid 90's, when we were running 1st overall for several laps until a navigaion error changed things in a hurry! Rich's commentary was something along the lines of "...and Euromarine goes from first to fourth! How'd you do that guys?!..." If you were running great he would say so, and if you were stinking up the joint he would say that too! That type of candor made the whole product so much better!

Thanks guys, and the Needle Nose Racing Team offshore racing coverage is sorely missed!

Tom Caruso
    Total Marine
    It was easy. I knew if I watched you long enough you'd figure out a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.....it was simply a matter of figuring out when in the race you would pull it off....
    Allergic to Nonsense

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    It was easy. I knew if I watched you long enough you'd figure out a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.....it was simply a matter of figuring out when in the race you would pull it off....
    OUCH!!!! I would really be upset if it wasn't so true!

Happy New Year, Rich.

4. Collapse Details

Hello Tom -

Thank you for the compliment - however, I was just the one that put together a puzzle - It was a total Team effort - from Pilots, to Narration - and to our customers and clients that made it all possible. NNRT grew from an idea and a 150 dollar super 8 sound movie camera to full blown Broadcast equipment which made it possible for us to supply major networks with footage, including overseas such as Italy's RAI. It is my turn to repay the compliment to all the racers that believed in our work - Many Thanks to all of you !

Thank you again Tom - Rich too and the various Pilots that would scare Rich with joy ! haha !

Phil

nnrt.films@verizon.net

5. Collapse Details

Nice to hear from you, Phil. You guys really were the best.

OK, in keeping with the title of this thread, here is another of our "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" tales. I don't know if Phil and Rich caught this race, but it was Ocean City in '92 I believe. By far the roughest race I was ever in, easily 8 footers. This was the race when Dan Campbell had to beach his 50' Jaguar cat, and here we are bouncing along in our 30' Chris-Cat Pro-Stock boat. Anyway, it is about midway through the race and we finally work our way up into the lead when my driver starts poking me and pointing to the steering wheel. To my amazement, the bolts holding the wheel onto the hub are starting to back off!!! What are we supposed to do, we're winning the race, gotta keep going, right? Anyway, its so f---ing rough it's not like we could do much about it. Another half lap later, he turns to me holding the wheel in both hands but it's no longer attached to the hub!!! It completely fell off the helm!!! We have stop for a minute or so to try and reattach it. By the time we get going again we are now in third place. We try like hell to catch up and were doing a pretty good job of it when they black flag the race!!! That one really hurt. You can't make this stuff up!

Let's hear some more war stories guys. I love this thread.

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TGC-32 View Post
    Nice to hear from you, Phil. You guys really were the best.

OK, in keeping with the title of this thread, here is another of our "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory" tales. I don't know if Phil and Rich caught this race, but it was Ocean City in '92 I believe. By far the roughest race I was ever in, easily 8 footers. This was the race when Dan Campbell had to beach his 50' Jaguar cat, and here we are bouncing along in our 30' Chris-Cat Pro-Stock boat. Anyway, it is about midway through the race and we finally work our way up into the lead when my driver starts poking me and pointing to the steering wheel. To my amazement, the bolts holding the wheel onto the hub are starting to back off!!! What are we supposed to do, we're winning the race, gotta keep going, right? Anyway, its so f---ing rough it's not like we could do much about it. Another half lap later, he turns to me holding the wheel in both hands but it's no longer attached to the hub!!! It completely fell off the helm!!! We have stop for a minute or so to try and reattach it. By the time we get going again we are now in third place. We try like hell to catch up and were doing a pretty good job of it when they black flag the race!!! That one really hurt. You can't make this stuff up!

Let's hear some more war stories guys. I love this thread.
    We were there. That was the race where the 40' Spirit of Norway Skater put a hurt on the 46' Apache "Tweets Revenge" in monstrous seas. Funny thing is everyone I speak to that was in that race.....thinks he won it....... except Tom...

Happy New Year right back at ya!

T2x
    Allergic to Nonsense

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Top Banana View Post
    We were down in Mar del Plata.....Argentina. It was exacttly 30 years ago this month. It was the location of the World Championships. Every year they would be in a different place. '77 they were in Key west, '78 Argentina. '79 Venice, Italy, '80 Australia etc etc. It was a real World Championship as everyone from all over the world would come and compete.

Anyway, we are in Mar del Plata...which is 250 miles south of Buenos Aires. Chile and Argentina are on war alert with each other....they are almost, but not quite at war. The Southern Ocean is huge.....waves really big and the wind blowing hard. Everyone is there but the Italians...their ship was late getting to Buenos Aires. The logistics were for the Americans....load your race boat and trailer and everything else you might need on a ship in Miami about 6 weeks ahead of time. It would arrive in Buenos Aires and then you had to get allof it through customs and hire a truck and get it 250 miles south to Mar del Plata. We all agree to wait another day for the Italians....and we all hoped the winds would die down a bit.

Two new boats have arrived and are under wraps. Tom Gentry with a new 38 foot Scarab..American Eagle. And the first ever boat that would later be forever known as the Top Gun....it was the 37.6 Cigarette, Ajac Hawk of Jerry Jacoby.

Richie Powers was in charge of the American Eagle as well as being throttleman on it. The boat was outstanding in preparation and cleanliness. Bob Saccenti was the throtlleman on Ajac Hawk and it was a pleasure to behold, right down to the silver bolster.

So, while we are all sitting around killing a day, Billy Martin decides he is going to make up some..."Rocket Fuel". He starts with a big drum and puts a black garbage bag in it.....next a large variety of bottles are opened and dumped in...vodka, whiskey, gin, brandy, etc etc. I think they used an oar to stir it. Cups and mugs and jugs were passed around and..... the day passed very quickly. No boys and girls...there wasn't a breath test for the crews the next day!!!

The Italians arrived the next day...everyone raced..... and an Italian won the World Championship.....Cosentino, in an aluminum 38 footer.

Here are some shots of that race....you can see the water is not a good day for a 50 foot Mystic cat. The shot of the Cigarette that I took, showing the 37.6 designation on the rear quarter. Last photo is Richie Powers, Bob Bieich and me on American Eagle in the pits.....I handed out a lot of Banana Boat co t-shirts down there....maybe they are still there.

Next story is the same race ....Bill Elswick sinks his race boat and gets in a life raft. Remember the war alert? Well that meant no patrol boats were allowed way out there ....you were on your own. Just before dark, the crew is rescued from the life raft by a passing freighter....more details later.
    Ha! There is a vidio of the forementioned ''Rocket Fuel'' mix being made on another site. Lmao!

Jr.

8. Collapse Details

Best thread ever!
    Tanks

9. Collapse Details

What a thread to waste a morning on! Thanks everyone!