Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jetcruzr View Post
    This is such a cool thread. Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming! It seems that there is also some interest in I/O versions. Do you have any plans or provisions for I/O, if someone wanted one?

The I/O scouts (1986-87) had the cockpit moved forward to make room for the V-8 but didn't have the long bow look of the 88 & 90 yrs O/B boats. The 21' Scout deck mold I am using was designed for an O/B and I really don't want to move away from the "Classic Saccenti" styling that gives the boat it's character and mystique. We do have plans on the drawing board for a center console fishing version of the Scout.

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Contributor jetcruzr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rschap1 View Post
    OK...
    I have vitually none or even less knowledge on how to lay up a boat, but after seeing this and a few other threads showing stuff, I gotta couple questions...???

First, I know that it really really minor, but if the purpose of bagging and drawing the resin through is nice, even, consistent, saturation; wouldn't there be a better method than using the plastic shething? Wrinkles, folds and anything like that will leave a thicker spot, right?
    Would final product thickness just pretty much be dependant on the fabric and mat now?
    If perfection was the end goal...or if you wanted to be even more critical anyways...wouldn't an interior and exterior "mold" be best to help keep shape as desired. End up with a process close to injection molding except the gel and mat are in there prior to adding the inside shell. Kinda like the super detailed schematic attached
    I realize that bagging must be a huge advancement beyond traditional hand applications, but .... ???
    THANKS
    I am definately no expert in the field, but maybe I can help your understanding of the bagging process. It may help if you think of it this way. Once the bag installed and the pump is running, assuming there are no leaks, you will have 1 atmosphere of pressure (29.92 inches of mercury at sea level) which translates to approximately 15 psi of pressure from the atmosphere being evenly applied to the entire surface of the part that you are laminating. This atmospheric pressure being applied would take the place of the "interior" mold that you used in your example. The plasitc bag is essentially the interior mold. The beauty is that the bag will take the shape of whatever you are laminating. There are no voids at all, as even pressure is being placed eveywhere. Another factor is that there is a layer of quilting material between the part and the bag that absorbs all of the excess resin. Once the glue is dry, the quilt and excess resin are peeled off the part and discarded. I hope this helps. Again, I am no expert, just wanted to share a perspective.

3. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Area188 View Post
    The I/O scouts (1986-87) had the cockpit moved forward to make room for the V-8 but didn't have the long bow look of the 88 & 90 yrs O/B boats. The 21' Scout deck mold I am using was designed for an O/B and I really don't want to move away from the "Classic Saccenti" styling that gives the boat it's character and mystique. We do have plans on the drawing board for a center console fishing version of the Scout.

So , my next question is where are the molds for the I/O Scouts ?

4. Collapse Details

I'm guessing the hull mold would be the same. Just a different deck mold.
    Am I correct?

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    I'm guessing the hull mold would be the same. Just a different deck mold.
    Am I correct?
    YES !

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by jetcruzr View Post
    I am definately no expert in the field, but maybe I can help your understanding of the bagging process. It may help if you think of it this way. Once the bag installed and the pump is running, assuming there are no leaks, you will have 1 atmosphere of pressure (29.92 inches of mercury at sea level) which translates to approximately 15 psi of pressure from the atmosphere being evenly applied to the entire surface of the part that you are laminating. This atmospheric pressure being applied would take the place of the "interior" mold that you used in your example. The plasitc bag is essentially the interior mold. The beauty is that the bag will take the shape of whatever you are laminating. There are no voids at all, as even pressure is being placed eveywhere. Another factor is that there is a layer of quilting material between the part and the bag that absorbs all of the excess resin. Once the glue is dry, the quilt and excess resin are peeled off the part and discarded. I hope this helps. Again, I am no expert, just wanted to share a perspective.
    I had no idea of the quilting and how it absorbed the excess. That does make it seem alot more "precise"
    THANKS ! !

7. Collapse Details

Scout deck pulled from mold.

8. Collapse Details

Looks good!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Very, very good!!!!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Defender Powerboats consulted with Bob Saccenti for his recommendations on stringer material type, construction and placement. Once the stringers height and longitudinal dimensions were calculated they were trimmed to fit then glassed inside the new 21' Scout hull. Just about ready to pull the hull out of the mold !

Last edited by Area188; 01-06-2013 at 10:43 PM.

11. Collapse Details

Keep them pic's comin!
    Parabellum FJ²B

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Any idea how the first one is to be powered? Or will that be decided during testing with several options?

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Any idea how the first one is to be powered? Or will that be decided during testing with several options?
    I'm going to let the Coast Guard give me the max engine rating before I decide for sure but I'm guessing a 200 or 225 hp.
    The new Scout is going to be much lighter than the previous ones built so I believe a 200 or 225 will work fine.
    Plus, this will be my "Demo" boat and safety is going to be my #1 concern especially when customers are driving it.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I'm still thinking a 350 would be realy sweet!

15. Collapse Details

I'm still thinking a 350 would be realy sweet!
    Agreed
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details

X3

17. Collapse Details

The hull is out! First time airborne.......

Last edited by philv30; 01-23-2013 at 10:27 PM.

18. Collapse Details
    The long awaited: Deck meeting hull...
    Time for some more bulkheads....

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Big Smiles I bet!!!!!!!

20. Collapse Details

Big Smiles I bet!!!!!!!
    You know it but still much to do.