Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    21' Scout deck vacuum bagging
    Special thanks for all the positive posts... Production is moving foward as scheduled.

21' Scout deck being vacuum bagged. We are using today's newest composite materials and building technologies.

2. Collapse Details

Is it really beneficial to bag the deck??
    I understand bagging the hull = strength.
    Are you bagging the deck for weight saving?

I'm not being a smartazz, educate me.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

So does that mean you are using Epoxy, S & E Glass , Carbon Fiber , Kevlar , and just curious what type of core ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Area188 View Post
    Special thanks for all the positive posts... Production is moving foward as scheduled.

21' Scout deck being vacuum bagged. We are using today's newest composite materials and building technologies.

4. Collapse Details

Buoy , Yes bagging is beneficial not only for saving weight , adding strength , and giving the part a cleaner & nicer looking layup, along with hopefully eliminating that chance of human error when doing an old school conventional layup .

5. Collapse Details

Artie, I understand the weight/strength aspect.

What do you mean by "cleaner/nicer" layup?
    And the "human error" part, are you referring to glass not getting fully saturated with resin?

I've just never really thought of the need for bagging a deck, but then again, I was just a dumb carpenter, not a boat builder

Thanks for the reply BTW.
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

6. Collapse Details

Excellent, a modern version of a classic!

Subscribed!!

7. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Bobby must be real excited to see another one of his designs get back in the thick of things with the newer glass weaves and layup schedules....

I know I am!!!!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Ginger View Post
    So does that mean you are using Epoxy, S & E Glass , Carbon Fiber , Kevlar , and just curious what type of core ?
    All Defender Scouts are built of the highest quality products. We use vacuum bagging for positive saturation and removal of excess resin. The end result of this high tech process is a lighter, stronger and a cleaner uniformed lamination. Furthermore this process "eliminates" voids and air pockets within the structure that could eventually cause "delimitation"... The major composite components in use are: Airex core, Vinylester resin and Multidirectional fiberglass..... And thats all i'm gonna say about that....
    Last edited by Area188; 11-27-2012 at 07:56 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Very cool!
    I'm enjoying this thread.

10. Collapse Details

Buoy , the bottom line is when ever a part is laminated using the old school ( conventional hand layup ) it has a tendency ) to be somewhat sloppy , resin rich , and once again room for human error do to the lack of poor workmanship (or person / persons ) involved doing the layup ,and like mentioned above Vaccum bagging offers a more controlled state with less room for mistakes or a poorly made part which leaves us with Infusion that is even more controlling right down to the weight everytime which is something we tried for a very short time when i was at Skater going back to just bagging .

11. Collapse Details

To tell you the truth if i find an old Scout that is in need of serious repair ...........it will end up with an I.O. ,with the well being removed , and the reason being is ......................i just don't like Egg - beaters.............Period .

12. Collapse Details

Thanks for the explanation.
    Makes sense.
    The idea of bagging the deck on a small boat like this seems like overkill. But, how can I say that overkill is a bad thing. I'm not criticizing the build at all. It looks like they are doing all the right things.

I'm not a fan of egg eaters either, but, I've never owned one. Maybe they are ideal depending on how/where you boat.
    I just love the sound of a BBC through at least semi dry pipes.

13. Collapse Details

Buoy , i also like to hear the sound of a BBC ( noise) coming out the back thru the exhaust tip's .

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Bobby must be real excited to see another one of his designs get back in the thick of things with the newer glass weaves and layup schedules....

I know I am!!!!!
    Looking to buy a new boat next year, the Defender Scout looks very interesting.
    Tracking this thread close, possible customer here too.

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Looking to buy a new boat next year, the Defender Scout looks very interesting.
    Tracking this thread close, possible customer here too.
    Good to hear that Duke. You won't be disappointed if you go with the new 21 Scout..... PM me for more info.

16. Collapse Details
    Bob Saccenti in the shop !
    Bob Saccenti keeps a watchful eye on the construction techniques used to build the new 21' Scout.

17. Collapse Details

Competitor / Contributor jetcruzr's Avatar
    This is such a cool thread. Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming! It seems that there is also some interest in I/O versions. Do you have any plans or provisions for I/O, if someone wanted one?

18. Collapse Details

OK...
    I have vitually none or even less knowledge on how to lay up a boat, but after seeing this and a few other threads showing stuff, I gotta couple questions...???

First, I know that it really really minor, but if the purpose of bagging and drawing the resin through is nice, even, consistent, saturation; wouldn't there be a better method than using the plastic shething? Wrinkles, folds and anything like that will leave a thicker spot, right?
    Would final product thickness just pretty much be dependant on the fabric and mat now?
    If perfection was the end goal...or if you wanted to be even more critical anyways...wouldn't an interior and exterior "mold" be best to help keep shape as desired. End up with a process close to injection molding except the gel and mat are in there prior to adding the inside shell. Kinda like the super detailed schematic attached
    I realize that bagging must be a huge advancement beyond traditional hand applications, but .... ???
    THANKS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mold.jpg  

19. Collapse Details

Sorry to side track (if not hi jack) the cool thread about the Scout, it's process, and advancments!!!

20. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jetcruzr View Post
    This is such a cool thread. Thanks for the pictures. Keep them coming! It seems that there is also some interest in I/O versions. Do you have any plans or provisions for I/O, if someone wanted one?
    That is true, an IO version would also be cool. But, this is something I never thought I'd see built new again.

A new Apache Scout, with today's outboard power, and today's new lamination materials and processes.......

I can only sit around and drool waiting for the results. Does a 350 Merc make anyone else wonder?????
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!