Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    Petition for Texas to secede from US
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If they succeed, I will be moving.......

Petition for Texas to secede from US reaches threshold for White House response
    By Vignesh Ramachandran

An online petition that calls for the State of Texas to withdraw from the U.S. and create its own government on Monday reached the required signature threshold to receive an official response from The White House.

The petition on WhiteHouse.gov asks the Obama administration to "peacefully grant the State of Texas to withdraw from the United States of America and create its own new government." The petition cites the nation's economic woes as an issue and says that the condition of Texas' budget and economy make it "practically feasible for Texas to withdraw from the union."

Online petitions on WhiteHouse.gov that get sufficient support are reviewed by White House staff and "sent to the appropriate policy experts." To be searchable on WhiteHouse.gov in the first place, petitions currently need to get 150 signatures within 30 days. To get an official response, petitions need 25,000 signatures within 30 days. The petition had surpassed 34,000 signatures as of Monday evening.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

Owebama will now apologize to Texas...
    Parabellum FJ²B

3. Collapse Details

69,000 and climbing

4. Collapse Details

5. Collapse Details

After you secede come claim the Florida Keys !
    Parabellum FJ²B

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Isn't the Conch Republic already its own country????

7. Collapse Details

Now watch the IRS put those names under a microscope. Care of OBUMMER...

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    There are petitions from 20 states to secede now.......

9. Collapse Details

It will be interesting to see what the white house response is. Canada has legislation that spells out how a province can leave. Quebec almost had enough support from the people to secede. Hence the clarity act.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    40 states now.....

The first of the petitions was filed on the White House’s We the People website the day after the 2012 election by Michael E. (full last name not provided) of Slidell, La.

Since then, residents from the following states have added their own secession petitions: New Hampshire, Illinois, Idaho, Rhode Island, Virginia, Wisconsin, Alaska, Utah, Wyoming, California, Delaware, Nevada, Kansas, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia, Nebraska, Pennsylvania, Arizona, Oklahoma, Arkansas, South Carolina, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Michigan, New York, Colorado, Oregon, New Jersey, North Dakota, Montana, Indiana, Mississippi, Kentucky, Florida, North Carolina, Alabama and Texas.

The White House website explains that once a petition reaches 25,000 signatures, it will be placed on a queue for response from the administration. The website also maintains a page for previous petitions that have received a White House response.

Some of the petitions have easily exceeded the required threshold.

The Texas petition, for example, has more than 80,000 signatures. The original Louisiana petition has topped 30,000. Florida has also crossed the threshold. Though the numbers keep climbing, the signatures for all 40 states now total at least 533,000.

11. Collapse Details

The secessionists are as crazy as the birthers! They are talking nonsense and do the Republican party more harm than good.

If you want to get out of the USA, then get the phuck out! Love it or leave it!
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by clayinaustin View Post
    The secessionists are as crazy as the birthers! They are talking nonsense and do the Republican party more harm than good.
    I see a difference between secessionists and birthers. Although I think that all radicals have some crazy in them. Regardless of party.
    (And for the record, I am not a member of any party. Although I am hoping that a true conservative movement will grow, with a heaping dose of libertarian in it.)
    I think that the religious right hijacked the conservative movement and turned it into something more like Puritanism.

If you want to get out of the USA, then get the phuck out! Love it or leave it!
    That is exactly what the secessionists are trying to do, right? (Although many wealthy people are indeed moving their assets and asses offshore. I hear that Chilean horse farms and vinyards are popular.)
    Perhaps you mean something like this?: "love it or use due process to change it in a representative democratic way into something that is more akin to your values."

Hopefully we don't lose too many people, because it will only redistribute the tax burden among a populace with less assets per capita. At least until the ecomomy crashes to the point that Arizonans are climbing fences to get into Mexico.

A question for a Texan: if any state were to make a run at secession, would Texas have the greatest chance? Don't you actually have a buyer's remorse clause or something in the state constitution? Or am I thinking of something else?

Meanwhile, on the ground... a Texas company just put a nearby Ohio golf course on the market. Why? They want out of Ohio. They are selling it at a loss to flee this state.

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The Texas Constitution is the only constitution in the United States that allows for succession within it. They are truly a republic with rights to succession within their charter from the beginning when they became a state. So, in that regard, they are the only ones who can legally leave the Union as a part of their statehood. Similar to what Poncho talks about in Canada.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The Texas Constitution is the only constitution in the United States that allows for succession within it.
    While many believe this to be true, it is not. Texas is a state just like every other state. It has no "escape" clause.

I could post links, but I will just let y'all Google it.

15. Collapse Details

While many believe this to be true, it is not. Texas is a state just like every other state. It has no "escape" clause.

I could post links, but I will just let y'all Google it.
    I'll take your word for it. I wasn't convinced that the notion was accurate.
    I wonder where that notion originates. Is there some other unique quality to the constitution that people misinterpret?

16. Collapse Details

Texas (like Hawaii) was its own country (The Republic of Texas) before it became part of the United States. In its annexation document it could divide itself into five separate states, but it cannot secede from the union.

New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution.

So I guess you could say that parts of Texas have the legal right to secede from the State of Texas and petition to become their own state.

Claynation!

17. Collapse Details

Jeff Macke sums up my opinion...

36 States Want to Secede from the Federal Government

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Good read! I can't see a state going that far. I did some google searches and found a site wanting to merge Canada and The United States. I think thats more likely especially if done under the U.S Constitution. Democracy

20. Collapse Details

up to 110,000...