Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    My new to me 22 Velocity
    A little story on how Velocity came to be mine. My previous performance boat was a 24 Python that I had rewired, put a new transom in, new motor, new gauges, stereo, and buffed out. The boat was almost back to new except for the interior which I had planned to redo this past summer. Long story short without all the details the boat caught fire April 2012 and was destroyed. I was able to salvage the motor, headers, outdrive, and platform. So now I am looking for another boat and after about 3 weeks of searching I find a sweet deal on craigslist and the boat is only 1.5 hours. The guy wanted $1800 for the Velocity and my wife got involved and talked him down to $1200. The Velocity had a stock 330 MPI (not running), bravo, needed some cleaning, steering helm needed to be installed, and had all the interior (which was stored in his house). I replaced the floor and made it so the fuel tank could be removed without having to cut the floor out. I then started buffing the boat with Fountain of Youth products and got it back looking good. Installed the steering helm that the previous owner had bought but didn't know how to install. I rebuilt the motor out of my burnt boat, cleaned and polished my exhaust. Installed the motor, my old Bravo drive, a new fuel system, and platform from my other boat. I had to raise the hatch 4.5" so all that has to get recovered. The hatch has been raised and fitted but I am waiting on doing the upholestry because I am going to install speakers into the hatch. I've only had it out 3 times at the end of the summer after I got it mostly completed. I'm still learning the trim set up this boat likes but so far I have gotten to 77 mph spinning a 24 Bravo in a short straight area. I think with a longer run area I could possibly hit 80. The winter plans are to redo the upholestry, install stereo, try to get my old add on hydraulic steering put on and make it full hydraulic steering, and add new gauges.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3902.jpg   IMG_3910.jpg   IMG_4028.jpg  

IMG_4031.jpg   IMG_4026.jpg   Velocity 1.JPG  

2. Collapse Details

Congrats!!

Boat looks great!
    "Keep the bottle on the bar Ira, I won't be long".

3. Collapse Details

Congrats is right
    Looks like a fun ride

4. Collapse Details

Way to stay positive ! Boat looks good. That motor is tucked in there nicely !
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Way to stay positive ! Boat looks good. That motor is tucked in there nicely !
    Indeed!

That size boat has to be fun with a 525!

Are you running trim tabs? If so, what kind?

6. Collapse Details

great work
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

7. Collapse Details

Yes, it has Kheifauer (spelling?) tabs but you don't have to use them unless you get in some bigger water. I talked to Steve Stepp about driving this boat and when I ran 77mph I was way over trimmed and chine walking pretty good. I later found I didn't need much positive trim and when I ran it like that it hit 77 mph much quicker and a lot less chine walk but I ran out room. The motor is a gen 6 454 that is a 468 with World Grumpy Jenkins heads and custom Bob Madera cam. The arrestor I bought separate and had to fabricate a piece to make the dominator arrestor fit my 850 demon carb. Its a tight fit to get the engine in and obviously you can see I had to cut some glass to fit the headers. Over the winter I hope to cover the openings I had to cut out.

Here are some before pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Velocity old 3.JPG   Velocity old 1.JPG   Velocity old 2.JPG  

8. Collapse Details

I've never seen tabs mounted that close to the outdrive.
    Seems like they wouldn't have much effect.

9. Collapse Details

I thin any farther out and they wouldn't touch the water at speed.
    Parabellum FJ²B

10. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I can only speculate on them, but.....

In that close, mounted at the same angle as the bottom, they would be good for stopping a chine walk situation when the boat is on the pad. I'd certainly be a bit leery of turning very hard with them down at all. The tabs would want to raise the back of the boat out of the water in that situation.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

11. Collapse Details

I really haven't played with the tabs while running hard. According to Steve, I shouldn't use the tabs for all out speed. I will probably try them out next year now that I have some time on it.

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I wonder how much time Mobilemercman has in a 22? I'll PM him....

13. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    I have spent countless hours in 22's. In 85 a 22 with a 260 would run 64. When the 454 Alpha Mag 330 horse came out they would go 70. I have run a 320 EFI with a SS drive 72 as I recall. A 454 magnum 330 horse with a SS drive also 72 or 3. The bravo boats with 454 Mag 365 horse would go pretty near 80. A 22 with twin 200's at 80. A customer had a 22 with the 330 and Nitrous that would go 80. Another customer with a V8 rude that would go 90.

Its been a while but, I still get excited thinking abut them.

14. Collapse Details

Hey Jim - what is the origin of that hull (mold)?

It has really nice lines, and the "crease" in the side is reminiscent of a Cig.
    What year is it?

I'm glad I'm not the only one into these smaller singles.

15. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Competitor MOBILEMERCMAN's Avatar
    As far as I know it is Steve's from scratch. It has a long running surface on it. If you were to lay the hull on the floor next to a 35 Cig on the floor. The 22 would have as much touching as the Cig. It may be nearly 17 feet if my memory serves me. It works real well. The 25 Thoroughbred appears to have the same bottom and crease line on the hullside.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN View Post
    I have spent countless hours in 22's. In 85 a 22 with a 260 would run 64. When the 454 Alpha Mag 330 horse came out they would go 70. I have run a 320 EFI with a SS drive 72 as I recall. A 454 magnum 330 horse with a SS drive also 72 or 3. The bravo boats with 454 Mag 365 horse would go pretty near 80. A 22 with twin 200's at 80. A customer had a 22 with the 330 and Nitrous that would go 80. Another customer with a V8 rude that would go 90.

Its been a while but, I still get excited thinking abut them.
    Did you work at Velocity back then, in Pompano?
    Last edited by OneBadInjun; 11-15-2012 at 11:14 AM.

17. Collapse Details

I didn't know a 365hp bravo boat would run 80. I would have suspected it to be around the 75 mark. Did all the boats you drive to 80 have hydraulic steering on them? I do know the stock 330 MPI with the bravo went 69. I am also running a 1.36 ratio drive on this boat instead of the stock 1.5. I am currently running a 24 Bravo but I am looking for a 24 Hydromotive.

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Anyone know what the fastest 22 out there has been?

19. Collapse Details

I have heard of one running 110.

20. Collapse Details

Parabellum FJ²B