Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

I also think that they should have not canceled it. It's a "we are tougher than that" sign that a lot of people need right now.
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    Another thing, maybe someone else can answer this:

Why the heck are they out of gas? Aren't there about a thousand tanker trucks around within a days drive that could haul in fuel and put it into the cars themselves instead of the tank in the ground where there is no power? That's how the army does it in the field!!!!
    fking insurance purposes , wet ct cabinets, raghead station owners , trying to figure out how much to gouge.( make them wait so long they won't care how much we charge them cocskr logic)
    salt in the wounds.
    I saw an intresting method of acquiring fuel in DB during Biketoberfest, maybe it was wrong, but it was effective , picture this,a gas station smack on A1A ,/ Atlantic Ave, the family minivan parked at the pump, seemingly broke down waiting for help/ tow out of frame there is a blue garden hose running from the stations underground tank to the interior of the minivan to containers,/ bladder
    Last edited by TUCK646; 11-03-2012 at 05:28 AM. Reason: got a little excited

3. Collapse Details

these poor guys in the minivan, had to have their friends stop by and take all the / luggage,/beach gear / fuelcontainers away for them considering the minivan was going to be towed to the shop.
    It must have taken 2 1/2 hours for the tow truck to show up. Ballsy , genius, wrong, may be, fuel price gouging no problem
    f us, f you.head.
    priceless!¡!
    wish I could have helped.
    Last edited by TUCK646; 11-03-2012 at 05:34 AM. Reason: stupit fone

4. Collapse Details

Rat..many stations have fuel but no power to pump. I understand in Florida, its mandatory for gas stations to have back up gennys. We may see that in NJ in light of this storm.
    To add to your comment about tankers pumping gas directly. My answer would be have the guard or corp of engineers bring Gennerators and a master electrician to power up the gas stations.

I do think the Marathon should have been cancelled. If i was one of those poor folks who just lost my home or even worse a loved one, the last thing I want to see is a marathon coming through my neighborhood,
    While my neighbors and i are suffering. I understand it brings revenue to the city, but the city has lost so much already, whats another couple hundred mill? Further, im sure they had some form of insurance policy covering them in case the race needed to be cancelled for whatever reason.

5. Collapse Details

There are plenty of things for the police and other city employees to do right now without having to worry about a marathon. I was furious yesterday morning when I heard that idiot Bloomberg was actually going to go through with it. I'm glad they finally cancelled it...but only because of the negative pressure. Don't even get me started on the out of state power crews coming to help that are being turned away because they're NON-UNION. F'n ridiculous. I couldn't make up a better example of why unions suck.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I also think that they should have not canceled it. It's a "we are tougher than that" sign that a lot of people need right now.
    you might think differently if you were smack in the middle of the devastation. I dont think the "we are tougher sign" works in this scenerio. The main problem is that people need help. First responders are stretched too thin and many people have not yet been accounted for. How, in good concience (sp) can you dedicate police fire and emt personel, generators, water and food to the marathon, when so many people are starving, dying, freezing and homeless.

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    There are plenty of things for the police and other city employees to do right now without having to worry about a marathon. I was furious yesterday morning when I heard that idiot Bloomberg was actually going to go through with it. I'm glad they finally cancelled it...but only because of the negative pressure. Don't even get me started on the out of state power crews coming to help that are being turned away because they're NON-UNION. F'n ridiculous. I couldn't make up a better example of why unions suck.
    they are now claiming it was a misunderstanding... the Alabama crew assumed they had to be union and never went in. I find that to be hogwash. You dont drive all that way, and then stop in Virginia and realize NJ is a Union state and turn around. I think the misunderstanding statement is their best way of diffusing the bad publicity. Poor PR in my opinion. I cant believe our Governer would fall for that excuse.

8. Collapse Details

As far as the Alabama thing ....

Officials from the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers presented Alabama-based Decatur Utilities with documents that “required our folks to affiliate with the union,” Ray Hardin, general manager of Decatur, told FOX Business on Friday. “That was something that we could not agree to. It was our understanding and still is that it was a requirement for us to work in that area.”
    Hardin said most of his six-man, four-vehicle crew was stuck in Virginia on Thursday instead of helping the N.J. shore town of Seaside Heights recover due to the bureaucratic tie-up. Eventually his crew ended up heading back home to Alabama because of the disagreement.
    “We chose we could not agree to those documents and began looking for other areas that could use our assistance without those conditions,” Hardin said.

Decatur said that as it waited for clarification, "we became aware that Seaside Heights had received the assistance they needed from other sources. To be clear, at no time were our crews 'turned away' from the utility in Seaside Heights."

Read more of the article
    Union Red Tape in N.J. Causes Alabama Recovery Crew to Head Home | Fox Business

From the article, it appears they were NOT told to go, they turned around on there own. It also appears that they were coming ONLY to help in Seaside Heights. Yes the article does say " began looking for other areas" but what other areas could there be? NJ & NY are union states. Just read the article
    Last edited by Lucididee; 11-03-2012 at 12:11 PM.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SVL66 View Post
    I do think the Marathon should have been cancelled. If i was one of those poor folks who just lost my home or even worse a loved one, the last thing I want to see is a marathon coming through my neighborhood,
    While my neighbors and i are suffering. I understand it brings revenue to the city, but the city has lost so much already, whats another couple hundred mill? Further, im sure they had some form of insurance policy covering them in case the race needed to be cancelled for whatever reason.
    I hear ya, but then why not cancel everything then ... like the Football game. Many of the players and coaches are without power .........

I'm sure there were reasons that they organizers did not cancel the Marathon themselves and had to leave it in the hands of government officials to cancel the event. There's just too many variables to take into account for the event being cancelled and covered by insurance.

10. Collapse Details

Here's the article on the Fuel rationing

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/201..._counties.html

11. Collapse Details

NJ is already dealing/handling the price gouging

N.J. Attorney General goes after price gouging in Sandy's wake | NJ.com

12. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lucididee View Post
    I hear ya, but then why not cancel everything then ... like the Football game. Many of the players and coaches are without power .........

I'm sure there were reasons that they organizers did not cancel the Marathon themselves and had to leave it in the hands of government officials to cancel the event. There's just too many variables to take into account for the event being cancelled and covered by insurance.
    good argument, however I would say the football game is not played in Staten Island south jersey or long island. I know the area around the meadowlands has been flooded, but the football game doesn't pull as much resourses or assets from the directly affected area as the marathon does. the players and coaches are employees of a business. if they can get to work they should get there. just my opinion

13. Collapse Details

good argument, however I would say the football game is not played in Staten Island south jersey or long island. I know the area around the meadowlands has been flooded, but the football game doesn't pull as much resourses or assets from the directly affected area as the marathon does. the players and coaches are employees of a business. if they can get to work they should get there. just my opinion
    Football game was just a reason for argument sake.

On a different note though, my godchild & cousin who are FDNY EMS, both run the marathon every year with their sis. (They live in Howard Beach, Glendale & Rockaway) they were hoping to be able to run in the marathon. So I based my opinion from those that are completely in the mix of things, both living in it and being 1st responders. Their father was also a 1st responder to 911 (Ladder 18, he is a survivor), those 3 kids really do know about the destruction and trying to move on and rebuilding, it's the reason why the 2 boys become FDNY EMS.

You do realize, you and I could go on forever on this topic. I'm just glad that most are safe, considering what I've seen the numbers of lost lives could have been way worse. It's now time to rebuild.

14. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Lucididee View Post
    Football game was just a reason for argument sake.

On a different note though, my godchild & cousin who are FDNY EMS, both run the marathon every year with their sis. (They live in Howard Beach, Glendale & Rockaway) they were hoping to be able to run in the marathon. So I based my opinion from those that are completely in the mix of things, both living in it and being 1st responders. Their father was also a 1st responder to 911 (Ladder 18, he is a survivor), those 3 kids really do know about the destruction and trying to move on and rebuilding, it's the reason why the 2 boys become FDNY EMS.

You do realize, you and I could go on forever on this topic. I'm just glad that most are safe, considering what I've seen the numbers of lost lives could have been way worse. It's now time to rebuild.
    grab a case of beers and come to edison. We'll have a chat.

15. Collapse Details

grab a case of beers and come to edison. We'll have a chat.
    That might be a while ... but I will take you up on that next time around

16. Collapse Details

you might think differently if you were smack in the middle of the devastation. I dont think the "we are tougher sign" works in this scenerio. The main problem is that people need help. First responders are stretched too thin and many people have not yet been accounted for. How, in good concience (sp) can you dedicate police fire and emt personel, generators, water and food to the marathon, when so many people are starving, dying, freezing and homeless.
    I wasn't thinking of the revenue, but the pride of the community. ( I've been through 15 Hurricanes and 3 Typhoons)

I am curious as to whether the Building codes will change , as they did after Hurricane Andrew wiped out South Florida. Nothing will stop water, but the wind problems can be battled with better materials. Everything we use down here has to be Miami-Dade Hurricane code.
    Parabellum FJ²B

17. Collapse Details

they are now claiming it was a misunderstanding... the Alabama crew assumed they had to be union and never went in. I find that to be hogwash. You dont drive all that way, and then stop in Virginia and realize NJ is a Union state and turn around. I think the misunderstanding statement is their best way of diffusing the bad publicity. Poor PR in my opinion. I cant believe our Governer would fall for that excuse.
    One of the workers called into Opie and Anthony yesterday morning from his truck. He said they were on the way there and received a call shortly after they crossed into Maryland. They were told to turn around and head back because they weren't going to be allowed to work. He said they had a caravan of about 50 trucks and 150 power workers. They turned around and headed for home. This was about 8am EST.

18. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hellbent View Post
    One of the workers called into Opie and Anthony yesterday morning from his truck. He said they were on the way there and received a call shortly after they crossed into Maryland. They were told to turn around and head back because they weren't going to be allowed to work. He said they had a caravan of about 50 trucks and 150 power workers. They turned around and headed for home. This was about 8am EST.

A lot of these things have been rumors/reported .... but there been no confirmations.

Like it said in the article "Earlier reports indicated two other Alabama utilities -- Huntsville Utilities and Joe Wheeler Cooperative -- were turned away from New Jersey due to union discrimination. However, those utilities have since denied those reports."

My question then is, why are there so many other that came, able to work in NJ.

I am also hearing stories/rumors that people that are trying to come in and help and "picking" the areas they want to work in and kinda refusing the assigned designation and in turn they are leaving.

OK then, here's another question ........... let's say it is true and they were told to go home .......... why did they just not travel another 2 hrs or so and go help in NY? New York & New Jersey are both devastated.

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    I wasn't thinking of the revenue, but the pride of the community. ( I've been through 15 Hurricanes and 3 Typhoons)

I am curious as to whether the Building codes will change , as they did after Hurricane Andrew wiped out South Florida. Nothing will stop water, but the wind problems can be battled with better materials. Everything we use down here has to be Miami-Dade Hurricane code.
    Some of the major issues they are coming across now are the natural gas lines, in which the are speculating a 6-8 month period to fix

20. Collapse Details

Not being in the middle of that devastation, I fell into the "show your strength, have the race" crowd.

My perspective changed 180 degrees when I saw a manager of a hilton garden inn tell a reporter that the decision was easy for him, he wasn't kicking his neighbors (who are now homeless) out of the hotel so that out of towners could come in and run in a race.
    Made a lot of sense. Revenue and other issues notwithstanding.
    Basic human needs come first. Food, water, shelter, security.

Pride is a luxury for somebody with a full belly and a warm safe home.

Prayers continue to go for those impacted, and those who have gone to help.