Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details
    KW ...P Class rule change
    Competitor
    This rule change will be in affect for KW 2012

8.4 Maximum Speed in Your Class
    P-4 80 MPH (Single Engine, Maximum 30 ft in length Monohull)
    P-3 90 MPH ( Monohull)
    (Classes P3, and P4 Naturally Aspirated Engine Only

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I saw that Frank, congrats. I think that's a good move.

Also, P1 now has a new name of Superboat Extreme, and P2 is eliminated? Is that correct?
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Yes that's correct, trying to combine as many classes as possible and do a way with classes that only have 1-2 boats.

4. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Okay, my last (some may say , "yeah right!") question for the moment....

In P3, are there any limits other than:

8.9 The Manufacture Class that you will be racing in will be determined by calculating the estimated speed of your boat. The Chief Referee or Chief Inspector of SBIP will be using the inspection of your equipment, experience, and the following formula as tools to determine your class, Pitch X RPM X .01 divided by Gear Ratio divided by 12. Only natural aspirated engines in class P3, and P4 are allowed.

So, any naturally aspirated engine combo, of any length, would fit into the class as long as the calculation of Pitch X RPM X .01 divided by Gear Ratio divided by 12 is adhered too? So a 24' boat with twin small blocks of any horsepower, and a 50 foot boat of any horsepower would be able to compete in the class?

5. Collapse Details

Competitor
    8.7 Boat shall be a minimum length of 24’, and a maximum length of 40’ with the exception of P4 Class which has a maximum of 30’ in length.

P3 is a max of 40ft

6. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Sorry Frank, any vee hulled boat/engine combination between 24' and 40' in P3, just no turbos or blowers? But you must supply the maximum RPM, gear ratio, and prop pitch? How does that part get enforced / monitored?

7. Collapse Details

Competitor
    One week to go, lookng foward to some great races. Three jam packed days of races.

8. Collapse Details

That would bump me up another class yet and 5 more mph. I have no complaint as I'm not racing now, but I bought my boat with full intentions of racing class 5 at 75mph back in 06. 30ft max and twins allowed. I thought I had the perfect combo at entry level speeds but, I couldn't get all my crap together in time and got bumped to P4 at 85. Finally got the boat running 84. Now P3 at 90. Maybe it was a good thing in the long run... saved money I didn't have anyway

I just need to learn how to be a happy spectator. I've always sucked at that...
    Best of luck to all the racers and have fun! Hope it's a great week and wishing I was there.

9. Collapse Details

Competitor
    All the classes should have 5-6 boats , should make for some exctng races.
    Turbne should be 2 boats.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by XtremeRacing View Post
    All the classes should have 5-6 boats , should make for some exctng races.
    Turbne should be 2 boats.
    Yeah, but since the 150mph rule in Turbine, it's just not the same. I'm kind of hoping they repower all of them similar to Cintron....

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Underdog88 View Post
    That would bump me up another class yet and 5 more mph. I have no complaint as I'm not racing now, but I bought my boat with full intentions of racing class 5 at 75mph back in 06. 30ft max and twins allowed. I thought I had the perfect combo at entry level speeds but, I couldn't get all my crap together in time and got bumped to P4 at 85. Finally got the boat running 84. Now P3 at 90. Maybe it was a good thing in the long run... saved money I didn't have anyway

I just need to learn how to be a happy spectator. I've always sucked at that...
    Best of luck to all the racers and have fun! Hope it's a great week and wishing I was there.
    Last year SBI raised the P3 to 95, and lost a lot of boats for this season. This year, don't forget that Key West is really the first race of the season not the last, they lowered it by 5mph to 90, hoping to get some of those boats back. I think it is a very good move. But, you could take out the twins, change to a single big block, and run P4 at 80. Perfect for your boat!!!!!

12. Collapse Details

I think I'm getting too old and poor for all that I have to learn how to be a good fan. Like watching NHRA PS Bike last night, I've raced and beat many of those guys back in the AMA days. That was the first race I've watched in a long time. I'm trying...

Fewer and larger classes is a good thing for the fans. Bracket racing is good for the racers who don't have unlimited bugets and keeps insurance happy. Still don't seem right for the turbine boats tho...

So does this leave only SVL and SCL running w/out an index? P1 boats racing there?

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    SCL seems to be almost done in. I have not talked about it with Bob yet, but will as soon as I get a chance. But there are more Spec classes than those two. Maybe a speculation story of spec classes and their future/current state is already on order

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    there are a total of 3 spec classes SCL, SVL and SS. with the power change to Stihl and Fastboats the coffin has the lid closed and the last nails are going in it. SVL will remain strong, and SS will struggle unless there is a way to slow a couple of the new boats down, as it is obvious that they older boats cant keep up, and the pockets arent that deep in that class.
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

15. Collapse Details

Competitor
    SBI has done away with SCL and
    combined 3 classes to grow the number of boats in the class and closer racing. The class is getting a good response from US and European boats.

Superboat is also a spec class.

16. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Pete that has always been a struggle, new boats and new hull design are always in the works. It has been on going for ever no different then when the new 40ft Fountain cut down model ran SV 525 class. Or the 388 Skater took over the 366. Or Fountain/ Outerlimits in SVL. That is kinda what racing is all about. Kinda hard to tell a team that buys a new boat for a class and test their butts off that ur going to slow them down. You would be hard press as manufacturer to sell new boats. The tech committee of SBI have had lenghty conversation about this and there are no easy fix.

17. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I don't think so as long as the organizations would put out the word that the boat, because of the new design, had to carry extra weight for parity. The way it is now is certainly not working, any more than t would work if someone showed up with a F1 car at a NASCAR race.

18. Collapse Details

Competitor
    Same cars and Drvers seem to be the same front runners at Nascar. There are teams that race for yrs and havent come close to a checkered flag.

19. Collapse Details

Competitor
    weights a great thought but doesnt work, the Fountan runs 150-200 more in the SVL class, weight never worked with SV class either. You might remember a Skater that seemed to run faster wth weight. Not easy but conversation is always going on to try and figure the best way .

20. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I still have the greatest hope for your drive height rule. It certainly is worth testing with documentation....