Thread: OFF2012

1. Collapse Details
    OFF2012
    OFF2012, Jim’s Dream Realized, 18-21 October 2012

Most of you know that OFF (Old Farts Forever, Old Friends Forever, or whatever) was the creation of Jim Hauser. Inspired by Brownie’s 2008 Legends of Offshore party, which ran in conjunction with Charlie McCarthie’s offshore race, Jim conceived a gathering of boat racers from “back in the day”, in conjunction with another offshore race. Unfortunately, the race cancelled, but the gathering went forward as OFF. Jim often remarked, “We started this with a 6 pack of beer and a bag of potato chips and look what happened”. Under his quiet leadership, he attracted many very generous contributors that aided the success’ of the last 3 years.

This year Jim left us to cross over that “final finish line”. In his honor, next month will see the fulfillment of his dream. OFF2012 will wrap itself around the OPA World Championship race in the Jupiter & Palm Beach, Florida area. As always, we will pause to honor all of the old boat racers that have crossed the “final finish line”. This year we also lost Chuck “Rookie” Woodruff. Chuck worked closely with Jim, from the very beginning, to bring the inboard racers into the fold.

One of the best things about OFF has been the camaraderie of old and new boat racers of all types. This year will include the opportunities to continue that slightly rowdy mix….and yet, also include the opportunities to share slightly less rowdy gatherings of OFFs. There will also be plenty of opportunity for those that wish to display their boats and/or watch the race.

Our Very Best Regards – Bert Serra, Cadillac McDaniel, Steve Sirois

Below is schedule as we know it at this time. Further information & details will be provided as we confirm them.

Thursday, October 18, 2012
    All Day
    Arrival of Race Boats + OFF Boats - Race Village - Carlin Park - 400 Old A1A, Jupiter, FL
    12pm - 4pm
    Racer & OFF Registration – Jupiter Beach Resort & Spa
    Wrist Bands to OFFs
    6pm - 9pm
    Meet the Racers + OFF Party - Wylder's Waterfront Bar & Grill - 18701 S.E. Federal Highway, Tequesta, FL
    Friday, October 19, 2012
    All Day OFF Boats @ Carlin Park
    Pier Entry to OFFs with Wrist Bands
    12pm
    RACE 1 (start subject to adjustment)
    2pm
    RACE 2 (start subject to adjustment)
    6pm - 9pm
    Corners Ocean Bar & Grill - 71 E Indiantown Rd, Jupiter, FL
    OFF Party @ Sugarcane Bistro 5pm - until
    Saturday, October 20, 2012
    All Day OFF Boats @ Carlin Park
    9am
    Drivers meeting - Location TBA
    10am - 5pm
    Race Boat testing on course as per Race Control
    7pm until ???
    Meet the Racers + OFF Racers Party - LIVE ENTERTAINMENT at Carlin Park
    Sunday, October 21, 2012
    All Day
    Race Boats and Vendors in operation
    12pm
    RACE 1 (start subject to adjustment)
    2pm
    RACE 2 (start subject to adjustment)
    7pm
    Awards Party -TBA

2. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Awesome Steve, congratulations.......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

3. Collapse Details

We were lucky enough to attend last year and all I could say was WOW! Amazing hardware of all configurations. It was like a museum but many were making passes up and down the waterway. We came by boat.

4. Collapse Details

A few pics from last year.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 201110221303_807.jpg   201110221348_816.jpg   201110221409_830.jpg  

201110221427_845.jpg  

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Will you make it again this year?

6. Collapse Details

Nope. Stuck in Ohio this winter At least for most of it.

7. Collapse Details

Us Donzi guys and gals will be making it this year... We wouldn't miss it. What a great time.

It's fun to see all the rare boats, but here's the rarest thing I've ever seen at O.F.F. ....Brownie drinking water!!!!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brownie drinking water.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	74457

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Water? Say it ain't so!!!!!!!

9. Collapse Details

Sorry about the confusion Folks. Some of the confusion results because we are actually doing two consecutive separate and yet mutual things.
    We are trying to wrap OFF around the OPA World Championship Offshore Race.
    Let me see if I can clear a few things up. As is to be expected of such an endeavor as the OPA event, things are fluid right up to the starting gun. In our desire to keep OFF2012 in concert with OPA, I (Seeroy) have done a poor job of keeping you informed. All I can say is that it has been a very busy year for me. Bert Serra has been very busy arranging OFF things for you, while Nick Scafidi has been incredibly busy promoting the OPA race. And of course all of the Geico folks have amazingly gracious in support of both OFF and OPA.

Since my computer believes that it is smarter than a human being and refuses to let me send e-mails to a large group, I will attempt to trick it into getting this to you.

OFF2012 is definitely on for 18-21 October. Here is the best info I have as of today.

Wednesday – Sunday: Carlin Park will be open to you if you wish to display your old race boats. It officially opens to the public on Thursday. There will be security on site during that entire time. Please bring only race boats. “For Sale” signs will not be allowed. As you approach the site, you may contact Bert Serra at (727)-235-2379 for instructions. Additionally, throughout the period, there will be an OFF tent in Carlin Park for you to gather and tell lies.

Thursday – It is our desire to “register” you so that we may provide you with a bracelet that will allow you to enter the start-finish pier for the Friday race. As always, if it’s OFF, there will be no fee for any OFF event. OPA will have a VIP area, however they will charge for entry. During 12:00-4:00pm (Thursday) someone will be at the Jupiter Resort & Spa to “register” you. There will also be opportunity to “register” Wylder’s Thursday evening while OFF joins with OPA to party hardy.

Friday – We hope to have someone at the Carlin Park OFF tent to register late comers. I believe the first race starts at noon. Friday evening OFF will party at Sugarcane Bistro on the second floor. Also on Friday evening, OPA will party at a different but close by venue.

Saturday – Carlin Park will be dry pits all day and into the evening with live entertainment. OFF will party there at our tent. As the evening wears on and you wear out, Wylder’s is eager to have OFFs continue to party with them.

Sunday – There are three races. I don’t know if your bracelet will be good for pier entrance on Sunday.

PLEASE visit the following sites for more details & updates
    http://www.powerboatpalmbeach.com/index.html
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...251136-Off2012

10. Collapse Details
    OFF is ON
    Sorry about the confusion Folks. Some of the confusion results because we are actually doing two consecutive separate and yet mutual things.
    We are trying to wrap OFF around the OPA World Championship Offshore Race.
    Let me see if I can clear a few things up. As is to be expected of such an endeavor as the OPA event, things are fluid right up to the starting gun. In our desire to keep OFF2012 in concert with OPA, I (Seeroy) have done a poor job of keeping you informed. All I can say is that it has been a very busy year for me. Bert Serra has been very busy arranging OFF things for you, while Nick Scafidi has been incredibly busy promoting the OPA race. And of course all of the Geico folks have amazingly gracious in support of both OFF and OPA.

Since my computer believes that it is smarter than a human being and refuses to let me send e-mails to a large group, I will attempt to trick it into getting this to you.

OFF2012 is definitely on for 18-21 October. Here is the best info I have as of today.

Wednesday – Sunday: Carlin Park will be open to you if you wish to display your old race boats. It officially opens to the public on Thursday. There will be security on site during that entire time. Please bring only race boats. “For Sale” signs will not be allowed. As you approach the site, you may contact Bert Serra at (727)-235-2379 for instructions. Additionally, throughout the period, there will be an OFF tent in Carlin Park for you to gather and tell lies.

Thursday – It is our desire to “register” you so that we may provide you with a bracelet that will allow you to enter the start-finish pier for the Friday race. As always, if it’s OFF, there will be no fee for any OFF event. OPA will have a VIP area, however they will charge for entry. During 12:00-4:00pm (Thursday) someone will be at the Jupiter Resort & Spa to “register” you. There will also be opportunity to “register” Wylder’s Thursday evening while OFF joins with OPA to party hardy.

Friday – We hope to have someone at the Carlin Park OFF tent to register late comers. I believe the first race starts at noon. Friday evening OFF will party at Sugarcane Bistro on the second floor. Also on Friday evening, OPA will party at a different but close by venue.

Saturday – Carlin Park will be dry pits all day and into the evening with live entertainment. OFF will party there at our tent. As the evening wears on and you wear out, Wylder’s is eager to have OFFs continue to party with them.

Sunday – There are three races. I don’t know if your bracelet will be good for pier entrance on Sunday.

PLEASE visit the following sites for more details & updates
    http://www.powerboatpalmbeach.com/index.html
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...251136-Off2012

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    There will be no fly-bys with the vintage boats at all this year?

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    There will be no fly-bys with the vintage boats at all this year?
    As far as I know, we will not do flybys.....Liability issues, etc.
    Allergic to Nonsense

13. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Well, that's too bad. I'm still not positive we'll be making it there. The father-in-laws passing unexpectedly has really caused us a lot of requirements here.

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member / Competitor
    Ken Warby is in

15. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Sweet. Is he bringing his drag boat?