LeeS
    Registered
    Platinum Member

Re: how many people have larry smith scarabs? post some pics of them
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kvscarab38
    Is this boat a larry smith boat??

http://yachtworld.com/boats/1463462/0
    That one brought back enough memories to get me to reregister here. NOT a Larry Smith Scarab but still an unusal boat. I bought one in very similar circumstances and it was rigged right beside that one in the race shop that John Connor, Don Pruitt and Gus Anastasia set up right down the road from Wellcraft in Sarasota. Both my boat and this one were built by Wellcraft with interiors, instrumentation and paint but no other rigging. Connors shop then did everything else to race boat rigging standards. Mine was also tabbed hull to deck as I asked for it, not sure about Rick's. Extra care was done at Wellcraft to scrape resin out of the molds on these two. Rick's was done in Kevlar but I chose glass. Connor did not like Kevlar back then as he had some bottom splintering on Betty Cooks boats. So I listened to him. He also tipped me to the fact that Wellcraft Kevlar boats were only 400-500 lbs lighter than glass boats as they used only a few very thick heavy layers of Kevlar as opposed to the 14-15 very thin layers in a Larry Smith boat. He assured me I could get the same 40 pound out by them gong to the plant and making sure all the extra resin got scraped out.
    The one pictured of Rick's was a standard 575 Merc with #4's at the time it was new. Mine had Arneson ASD8's and Connor built 540's with about 650HP. Rick's boat ran about 80 and mine closer to 85. Unfortunately Rick's boat looks like everthing is still the same so I can't imagine what kind of shape the motors and drives are in, it looks like it still has the original merc bypass mufflers that caused so much water to get in the engines they were discontinued after a short run.
    One more fact, you could get a full interior in a Larry Smith, VERY nicely done and simple and light weight. I priced one out before going with the Wellcraft and that is exactly what it looked like as far as the other boat pictured here.
    Rick's boat was NOT a brochure boat either, mercury did use a shot oif the engine compartment in many boat magazines to advertise the 575's.
    Sorry for the long blast from the 80's but it's amazing to see a boat pop up that was right beside yours for many weeks. And no, I have no idea where my boat is, I sold it to a guy who boated on Lake Superior in the mid-1990's. If anyone ever encounters an 87 38 KV with ASD8's on it I'm sure that is it. 1988 was the last year for that model and I was later told I was the only one who ever rigged a Wellcraft boat that way. There are some Larry Smiths out there with Arnesons though.

2. Collapse Details
    some newer

3. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Clustergear View Post
    Not a very good picture but the gray boat behind the people is the Scarab that Hulk Hogan was running
    The "Thunder in Paradise" Scarab. What ever happened to that thing? That show was like Batman and Robin go nautical.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tip001.jpg  

4. Collapse Details

Fond du Lac, WI Cheeseheads & Kiekhaefer Scarab KV Miami Vice LTD Formally Snap-On Tools Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by kvscarab38 View Post
    Hey Nasty, good to see ya again.

5. Collapse Details
    Hey Nasty Scarab
    the rest for now
    I tried to buy your boat some time back but you got it first I have seen your boat at Kellys this, and at Huron last year. Looks Great. I ended up with an original KV used in the Series. I'm in Findlay, just up the road. Where is your boat located on the fork lift. I may keep it up at the lake this year if I dont sell it. You are welcome to stop by and see it if you like. It's inside and warm.
    Jim
    PS is this your site?

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smacky View Post
    I tried to buy your boat some time back but you got it first I have seen your boat at Kellys this, and at Huron last year. Looks Great. I ended up with an original KV used in the Series. I'm in Findlay, just up the road. Where is your boat located on the fork lift. I may keep it up at the lake this year if I dont sell it. You are welcome to stop by and see it if you like. It's inside and warm.
    Jim
    PS is this your site?
    No not my site should be chris sunkins site i think he just sharing it with everyone.
    My boat is at marina del isle they are only ones is the area besides marina in sandusky that will lift over 32-34 in this area. 40 or 42 max I think How long have u had yours?? Was yours at westbay labor day there was a good looking mv there.
    I'll see if I can get in touch with you after 1st of year have couple of questions

7. Collapse Details

No not my site should be chris sunkins site i think he just sharing it with everyone.
    My boat is at marina del isle they are only ones is the area besides marina in sandusky that will lift over 32-34 in this area. 40 or 42 max I think How long have u had yours?? Was yours at westbay labor day there was a good looking mv there.
    I'll see if I can get in touch with you after 1st of year have couple of questions

Don't be buying my baby.

8. Collapse Details

what ever happened to the baywatch scarabs?

9. Collapse Details

Sounds Like we need to have a "LAKE Erie Scarab" get togeather !!! I'm In
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0190.jpg  

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Perlmudder View Post
    what ever happened to the baywatch scarabs?
    No clue. Mike J might know. He was a boat handler for Vice and Bay Watch.

11. Collapse Details

In Fond Remembrance. StraightJacket's Avatar
    ours 1979 300, this is what it looked like when we got it.

And a pic of what it looked like when we got done with it a few years later.

And a sneek peek of what it looks like now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG.jpg   IMG_0001.jpg   DSCN0436.jpg  

12. Collapse Details
    My Scarab SCS
    Cool
    On southern Georgian Bay . . .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3108.jpg   IMG_3114.jpg   IMG_3136.jpg  

13. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by StraightJacket View Post
    ours 1979 300, this is what it looked like when we got it.

And a pic of what it looked like when we got done with it a few years later.

And a sneek peek of what it looks like now
    WOW! Got any more of those sneek peek pics? That thing looks awesome!
    My project is getting bigger and bigger Still in the destruction phase...

14. Collapse Details

Here is mine, and it's still looking for a new home
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0511.JPG   20200_7.jpg  

15. Collapse Details

all the pix kinda makes me anxious for Summer
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

16. Collapse Details
    Miami Vice Scarab
    Yep, that was our boat at west bay. Take care. Just renewed my Leopa membership. Maybe I'll get in an event next year!
    Cheers.
    my email is vmf214@bight.net
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01159.JPG   DSC01158.JPG  

17. Collapse Details

Pulling in to the docks at the SCOPE Poker Run in Long Beach.

Air shot is a video still from the SCOPE video run 2 years ago between Long Beach and San Pedro.

You guys all have some really nice boats...its cool to see some of the older ones updated.

Jimbo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08033.jpg   Video%20Run%20%2706%20%2847%29.jpg  

18. Collapse Details
    Excellent Pics
    Quote Originally Posted by BADA BING View Post
    Pulling in to the docks at the SCOPE Poker Run in Long Beach.

Air shot is a video still from the SCOPE video run 2 years ago between Long Beach and San Pedro.

You guys all have some really nice boats...its cool to see some of the older ones updated.

Jimbo
    If you keep that up, the FAA will get involved and force you to put "Experimental" lables on your boat. And you to get a Pilots licence!
    Nice Machine!
    Jim
    PS: Who you callin older?
    Last edited by Smacky; 01-17-2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Fun!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Smacky View Post
    If you keep that up, the FAA will get involved and force you to put "Experimental" lables on your boat. And you to get a Pilots licence!
    Nice Machine!
    Jim
    PS: Who you callin older?
    Older....I'm the same age.

How ya do'n Jim?

20. Collapse Details

A couple of my 94 29
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN1548.jpg   2006 NYC Poker Run 004.jpg