1. Collapse Details
    5 vs 4 motors on CC
    Quick question for you guys...Which do you think would run faster on a CC like the new 42 MTI with 5 Merc Optimax 300 or 4 Seven Marine?

The lbs per HP for the Merc is 1.68 and the Seven Marine is 1.87 lbs per HP. (only calculating weight of motors)

Merc seems to have more power for the weight but would also have the additional drag of the fifth motor...

thanks for your input guys...

2. Collapse Details

I think four 7's would be better (faster).
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    No contest, the Seven's would smoke the Merc's.

Some of the test data they have compiled at Seven Marine.

Seven Marine - 557 Outboard Motor Performance & Efficiency

My guess is by 10 mph plus.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

At 1000 plus pounds each you could switch to big blocks and smoke em both...cool idea...but kind of a head scratcher...unless they got 12 MPG....
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    That's a legitimate point, but a 557 hp big block would be around a 1250 lb package each. I'm a bit curious on price difference, may have to dig...

6. Collapse Details

I'm thinking 6.2 + Bravo 1 is around 948 pounds each ????
    Last edited by Bobcat; 09-01-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: misinformation
    Parabellum FJ²B

7. Collapse Details

Maybe I'm missing the point but the CC concept was to be a little more efficient, salt water benefits in a lot of cases, less maintenance/lifespan of power, space for family style application etc but they are going right back to.......inefficient quad + outboards, supercharged high octane OB power with the 350+hp outboards with very little/no warranty, and pushing for speeds that in an Open bow model that is not really appropr for its original application (as we know a lot of these will never even have a fishing rod on board lol). Just curious, maybe I've missed the point and I've boated my whole life. I love the new models but trying to find out how it makes sense other than if you have the $ you just buy one for your dock!!!!! Have to admit tho, the new outboard technology is cool as hexx!!!

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I asked a lot of those questions of Brooks with his new Nortech 39 with Trip 300 Verados vs his old 37 Outerlimits with twin blown big blocks.

He says the main difference is that they always run, they are quiet as heck, they still push a 39' boat at over 70 mph all day, (which isn't that much slower than many twin big block high speed cruise speeds).

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer01 View Post
    Maybe I'm missing the point but the CC concept was to be a little more efficient, salt water benefits in a lot of cases, less maintenance/lifespan of power, space for family style application etc but they are going right back to.......inefficient quad + outboards, supercharged high octane OB power with the 350+hp outboards with very little/no warranty, and pushing for speeds that in an Open bow model that is not really appropr for its original application (as we know a lot of these will never even have a fishing rod on board lol). Just curious, maybe I've missed the point and I've boated my whole life. I love the new models but trying to find out how it makes sense other than if you have the $ you just buy one for your dock!!!!! Have to admit tho, the new outboard technology is cool as hexx!!!
    Paul asked me to chime in on this so here goes.
    I had a 100mph offshore boat and now have a triple engine CC so my experience is based on what I went thru.

First you state efficient, my CC get 1.5mpg at 45 mph which is way better than my Outerlimits got. I dont have perfect data but I had both in the Miami to Key West poker run(different years of course), the Outerlimits could just make it from Miami to Marathon about 240 gallons the CC went from Miami to Key West and back to Miami on 320 gallons. The salt water benefits of the outboards is huge compared to the I/O's, not to mention clean up on each boat, with a CC just hose everything down no worries.
    Before I bought my supercharged outboards I checked with our local marina in Florida. He was working on a coast guard boat with triple 300 Verados and I asked if he did all the work on them and he did. I asked if they had issues he said none, this one was getting some plastic piece replaced by the intakes and that was the only work he had done to them and they had 1300 hrs on them. Also you mention high octane that was a concern for me also cause I run the Bahamas and fuel isnt so easy to get. The 300 verados do require 91 octane but have a knock sensor so you can run 87 or lower thru them. Very little to no warranty? I have a 5 year warranty on mine. You also mention pushing speeds not for its original application, maybe true for the older boats but anything designed in the last 5 years the fisherman need to be the first to their spots when in tournaments so they are designed to run fast and efficent.
    Bottom line I enjoy boating again no headaches from breakdowns or the noise police, I can now take out 6-8-10-12 friends on my boat and have fun, we will never be the first to a card stop( Boyne Thunder doesnt count Paul) but I always finish the run. And just for the record my CC probably spends 75% its life fishing.
    Run until it sounds expensive

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What???? Boyne Thunder doesn't count?????????

11. Collapse Details

At least can we get some info from someone that has a fast boat!
    Parabellum FJ²B

12. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    At least can we get some info from someone that has a fast boat!
    Ouch....

13. Collapse Details

When I get old I'll probably appreciate the smooth ride of a resin bucket !
    Parabellum FJ²B

14. Collapse Details

He lost me at "when I get old."

15. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    Paul asked me to chime in on this so here goes.
    I had a 100mph offshore boat and now have a triple engine CC so my experience is based on what I went thru.

First you state efficient, my CC get 1.5mpg at 45 mph which is way better than my Outerlimits got. I dont have perfect data but I had both in the Miami to Key West poker run(different years of course), the Outerlimits could just make it from Miami to Marathon about 240 gallons the CC went from Miami to Key West and back to Miami on 320 gallons. The salt water benefits of the outboards is huge compared to the I/O's, not to mention clean up on each boat, with a CC just hose everything down no worries.
    Before I bought my supercharged outboards I checked with our local marina in Florida. He was working on a coast guard boat with triple 300 Verados and I asked if he did all the work on them and he did. I asked if they had issues he said none, this one was getting some plastic piece replaced by the intakes and that was the only work he had done to them and they had 1300 hrs on them. Also you mention high octane that was a concern for me also cause I run the Bahamas and fuel isnt so easy to get. The 300 verados do require 91 octane but have a knock sensor so you can run 87 or lower thru them. Very little to no warranty? I have a 5 year warranty on mine. You also mention pushing speeds not for its original application, maybe true for the older boats but anything designed in the last 5 years the fisherman need to be the first to their spots when in tournaments so they are designed to run fast and efficent.
    Bottom line I enjoy boating again no headaches from breakdowns or the noise police, I can now take out 6-8-10-12 friends on my boat and have fun, we will never be the first to a card stop( Boyne Thunder doesnt count Paul) but I always finish the run. And just for the record my CC probably spends 75% its life fishing.

BBB, I like your response and hope you understand we are saying the same thing. The trip CC pkgs are awesome and do everything you mentioned which makes huge sense, I guess I'm asking if the same benefits and attributes are achieved when people are pursuing 4-5 OB motor set-ups. I'm not knocking it just wonder if there's any value being achieved vs just staying with the traditional pkg you ment in previous OL. Of course I would love all the above lol!!!!

16. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    From what I recall talking with the Nor-Tech guys, the triple 39's were 72 mph and the quad 39's were 78 mph.

Brooks???

17. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    From what I recall talking with the Nor-Tech guys, the triple 39's were 72 mph and the quad 39's were 78 mph.

Brooks???
    If I remember correctly??????
    Trip - 300 72mph
    Trip - 350 77mph
    Quad-300 81mph
    Add 3-4 mph on if you have the flip down windshield
    Run until it sounds expensive

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BBB725 View Post
    If I remember correctly??????
    Trip - 300 72mph
    Trip - 350 77mph
    Quad-300 81mph
    Add 3-4 mph on if you have the flip down windshield
    Or deduct .3 mph if you have a fat guy sticking outside of the windshield!!!!!