1. Collapse Details
    525 Mercury not being dropped from the line! Good news for the sport!
    Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I received an email with this quote from Fred Kiekhaefer about the 525 engine package. It was sent because several people have speculated that the new 565 would be replacing the 525, and some have even used that as a reason the organizations should allow teams to start modifying the 525's in Super Vee, Super Vee Lite, and Cat Lite. Well, I guess Fred has come on the record as getting rid of that excuse.

Contrary to a popular misconception, Mercury Racing is not replacing the 525EFI with the 565. The company plans to keep the 525-hp engine, one of the best-selling engines in its history, in the line.

“There is still a base of customers who have 525 product in their boats, and when it comes time they want to replace them with 525s,” say Kiekhaefer. “They want to replace them with ‘like’ mechanical systems because they have a high comfort level with those systems. The 525 has a wonderful and well-earned reputation.”

From my point of view, I'm really glad to hear this from Mercury. The stock 525 used in those three classes has been an evident winner for the racers and the sport. There are engines out there in stock form that have been running with no rebuilds for over 4 years. My personal opinion, the modification of these engines, without the controls put in place to check those modifications, has been one of the things which has hurt the sport tremendously.

Maybe one of these days we will have the insight to review what has worked in offshore racing vs what has caused classes to disappear, (or be reduced to one boat demonstrations or two boat races). But, until that time comes, I am rooting for the stock 525 to stay in Cat Lite and Super Vee Lite classes, and to be returned to the Super Vee class.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

2. Collapse Details

I really really like this considering I just bought a 525 boat!

3. Collapse Details

The air intake on the 525 has better appeal visually than the new 565's....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 565-gallery.png  

4. Collapse Details

I'm looking for a 525efi if anybody is selling one.

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I heard there were rumors floating around out there again. It's amazing that some people want to kill one of their most successful engine packages ever. I'm not sure why either. But, Kiekhaefer says no way.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!