1. Collapse Details
    A Lesson....and a Warning
    Woman allegedly kills neighbor who refused her a beer

The tightly knit fishing community of Conch Key is reeling from the death of 64-year-old Marty Mazur, who was shot repeatedly by a neighbor woman after he refused to give her a cold beer Sunday evening, according to neighbors and law enforcement accounts.

Carolyn Dukeshire, 62, who lives down the street from Mazur, is charged with first-degree murder in connection with the shooting.

Dukeshire, who does odd jobs and makes lobster traps, often refers to herself as Sea Hag, neighbors said Monday.

According to an arrest affidavit, Conch Key resident Casey Whippo, 30, was drinking beer with Mazur behind Mazur's home at 53 N. Conch Ave. about 6 p.m. when Dukeshire, who lives on a houseboat at 70 Conch Ave., walked around the side of the house and asked, "Do you have a cold beer for me?"

Mazur reportedly replied, "I have absolutely nothing for you."

Dukeshire then pulled a handgun and shot Mazur five times, hitting him twice in the abdomen, twice in the back and once in wrist, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Whippo reportedly grabbed Dukeshire's arms and held the gun up, above her head, but she apparently was able to toss it into the canal behind Mazur's home.

Whippo phoned 911, and while he was speaking to a dispatcher Dukeshire told him, "Mazur is dead," according to the arrest affidavit.

Dukeshire then sat down on a lobster trap and made no attempt to leave the area, Whippo told deputies.

Neighbor Jeff Cramer said deputies arrived with their guns drawn and arrested Dukeshire without incident.

Mazur was taken to Fisherman's Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

A Sheriff's Office dive team recovered the handgun, Cramer said.

Cramer, a lobster wholesaler who lives behind Mazur, said the victim was a Chicago native who retired in Conch Key about 10 years ago. He described Mazur as a laid-back eccentric who collected Keys-related odds and ends. He said that about a year and a half ago, Mazur and Dukeshire had a falling out and he told her she was no longer welcome on his property.

"He pretty much washed his hands of her after whatever they got into it about," he said.

Mazur operated the Crisis, a commercial trap-fishing boat, though the lobster business was more of a hobby for him than a necessity, neighbors said.

Cramer said Mazur kept his gate open and the makeshift bar in his back yard was often the place to go to watch football games and NASCAR races, as well as drink beer and listen to 1970s music.

"He always had ice cream for the kids," Cramer said.

Cramer said he didn't hear the shots -- he was operating a forklift at the time -- but he saw, and then heard, Whippo frantically trying to help Mazur.

"I couldn't imagine her shooting Marty," Cramer said of Dukeshire. "I've never seen her violent. She drank a lot, like a lot of people around here. She would make traps, but nobody really hired her because she's a troublemaker. But I never saw her act violent or anything like this."

Next to Mazur's house is the Moyer family vacation home. Art and Verna Moyer and their 9-year-old son Devin, were just arriving from Fort Meade when they saw the squad cars and emergency vehicles.

Tears ran down Verna Moyer's face Monday as she stood on her front porch talking about Mazur, whom she called "the mayor of Conch Key."

"There's going to be one less boat out there this year," Moyer said. "It just ain't going to be the same coming down here no more." "I feel like I lost a family member," Devin Moyer said.

Dukeshire has no previous arrest history in Monroe County, said Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Deputy Becky Herrin. Dukeshire was being held without bail Monday at the Monroe County Detention Center on Stock Island. An arraignment had not been scheduled.

alinhardt@keysnews.com
    Parabellum FJ²B

2. Collapse Details

Geesh, apparently you "Keyans" take your beer very seriously...........
    People we meet in life are either a Blessing or a Lesson

3. Collapse Details

4. Collapse Details

Here is the mug shot of "Sea Hag"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mug29.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	4.0 KB 
ID:	74099
    Parabellum FJ²B

5. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Fitting nickname. What a nut job shoot someone over a beer!

6. Collapse Details

Obviously it was deeper than a beer.... curiosity has me grasping at what the falling out was over. Sad to her the guy lost his life whatever it was over... RIP...

7. Collapse Details

Yes, he seemed to have carved out a nice little niche there...with lots of friends. I wonder if she did this to live in jail with free health care and the security of always having a place to live ?
    Parabellum FJ²B

8. Collapse Details

Amazing the battles neighbors have.

I got copied in yesterday on emails between 2 of my neighbors.
    One is having construction done and cement truck blocked the other's drive.
    What a BI+CH one was to the other !!!
    5 minutes of a blocked drive and she writes, "THIS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED"
    If I was one the receiving end of the message and it were a dude saying 1/2 of that $hi+ to me, I'd be beating some @$$!!!

And these 2 have to live one door apart from one another.
    I bite my tongue once in a while in order to maintan some peace and civility.
    I even do an occasional favor to stay on everyone's good side whether I want to or not.
    I cannot imagine living steps away from someone who had went off on me like that.
    I will never look at the untolerable bi+ch up the street the same ever again.
    She has never been any sort of princess, but F' her and my ever going out of my way for her anytime ever again!

9. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I know what you mean. Our neighbors here, and my old ones in Washington, are great. We've had some others elsewhere that were absolutely crazy!!!
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

10. Collapse Details

Emails? To a neighbor? And they felt the need to make you a party to the shenanigans? Does NOBODY handle their private business in person anymore? As brazen as people seem to be at their keyboard, I think that the internet may be causing a wussification of people. Just send a nasty gram, copy some people who are not involved to try to build consensus and then stay in your safe little house. I guess I am a dinosaur. I actually think that people should work things out first person, in person.

11. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    The most interesting thing about the internet, if you say the same thing often enough, (true or not), it becomes inter-fact. I cannot believe how many things get thrown out there, then repeated over and over, emailed over and over, and they keep coming around as fact because someone read it somewhere on the internet.

As one of the most influential people in our sport currently told me, the single most destructive item in the sport, what is allowed to be printed on the internet. It has caused sponsers to pull out of the sport and new potential sponsers to say no, turned teams who practice their butts off into cheaters, and made companies who have sold great products for years into scammers.

Probably the main reason we do not allow that type of stuff, and sometimes error too far the other way.

Anyway, I've got to go email my neighbor that my other neighbor is smoking salmon without a scrubber for the smoke.

12. Collapse Details

'Sea Hag' gets 30 years for shooting

BY ADAM LINHARDT Citizen Staff
    alinhardt@keysnews.com

The woman who calls herself "Sea Hag" and pumped five bullets into a Conch Key lobster fisherman who refused to give her a cold beer last year will spend the next 30 years in prison.

Monroe County Judge Ruth Becker sentenced Carolyn Dukeshire, 63, of Conch Key, on Thursday in the July 29 shooting death of Marty Mazur, 64, as he sat behind his home drinking a beer with a friend.

Becker agreed to the plea agreement that called for the maximum sentence allowed for second-degree murder, which is a first-degree felony, said Assistant State Attorney Tanner Demmery.

According to a Monroe County Sheriff's Office arrest affidavit, Conch Key resident Casey Whippo was drinking beer with Mazur about 6 p.m. that Sunday behind Mazur's home, 53 N. Conch Ave., when Dukeshire approached.

"Do you have a cold beer for me?" she asked. She lived on a houseboat down the street.

"I have absolutely nothing for you," Mazur reportedly replied.

Dukeshire then pulled a handgun and shot Mazur five times, hitting him twice in the abdomen, twice in the back and once in wrist, according to the Monroe County Sheriff's Office.

Mazur, who operated a commercial trap fishing boat named Crisis, was taken to Fishermen's Hospital, where he later died from his injuries.

Dukeshire had no previous arrest history in Monroe County.
    Parabellum FJ²B

13. Collapse Details

is that the photo you keep in your wallet?

14. Collapse Details

Charter Member
    No it's the poster above his bed!
    Some where in Kenya a village is missing an Idiot!

15. Collapse Details

Looks like my drivers license photo!!!
    Parabellum FJ²B

16. Collapse Details

just missing the Bobcat accessory kit - coozie, brewski(s),snorkeling gear, pink touch up paint, baseball mitt, golf hat, "Junior I Wanna Be a Carpenter Starter Tool Set", etc., etc.,

17. Collapse Details

Is that Dog the bountyhunter's mom???
    P-4077 "The Swamp" S.B.Y.C. and Michigan medboat mothership

18. Collapse Details

Shave a bald spot in the back and it could be him !
    Parabellum FJ²B

19. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete B View Post
    No it's the poster above his bed!
    I sense a hint of jealousy.