Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5
  1. Collapse Details

I opened this thread back in June. There aren't many Black Thunder's for sale, and even fewer that have the extended cockpit. To the best of my knowledge, I looked at or considered every BT that is on the market ---- at least every BT that was brought to my attention. It was a pretty tedious process that included conversations with Mr. Jenkins, Shane Poelling, and a number of BT owners. Not too mention, the input from many here on this forum. I took a couple "road trips", did a ton of reading, talked to many not-BT owners, lots of conversations with my mechanic...... and I can't even tell you how many conversations with the opinion that mattered most MY WIFE. A road of ups and downs, but I'm pleased to report that as of 10-17-2012 I am now officially a member of the BT family.

I have purchased the 2002 46' EC that was listed on here by "Bear" in a thread titled "selling my Thunder". The owner is a great guy, was indeed a pleasure to work with, and truly a BT owner with a passion for his boat. The boat is far above average condition, in fact my surveyor called it EXCELLENT. Through many months of endless email exchanges, many phone conversations, and a whole bunch of give and take the deal went together smooth. Hopefully, he doesn't think I was a total jerk for being quite "picky" and truly a pest with a flood of questions, answers, and follow ups.

Now, I'll probably inundate this forum with countless questions of how to drive and take care of it.

I just wanted to take a few minutes to thank "Bear", the Jenkins family, Shane, and all of those here who gave me information or leads. Thanks again,

Steve

2. Collapse Details

Competitor / Contributor jetcruzr's Avatar
    Congratulations! How about showing us some pics?

3. Collapse Details

yep congrats

4. Collapse Details

congrats Steve on new boat,
    I'm glad it all worked out
    your a Black Thunder owner now

5. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    A huge welcome to the BT family.

We'll send you the rules on smart-azz comments for the forum, (and emails), and dress attire for the events and in public for the rest of your life.

Once a BT'r, always a BT'r......
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

6. Collapse Details

Congrats on the new boat, welcome to the BT family!

7. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    A huge welcome to the BT family.

We'll send you the rules on smart-azz comments for the forum, (and emails), and dress attire for the events and in public for the rest of your life.

Once a BT'r, always a BT'r......
    Hell, I still get team "Saxman/Oldman" shirts and text propoganda all the time. It was even recently noted a member in STL that there were several hotties at a particular restaraunt. THis is how BT guys take care of their own.... lol

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What happened to your Saxman/Cougar shirts???

9. Collapse Details

Big day for me today. My new Black Thunder starts the long journey from Chesapeake Bay to Michigan and should arrive here early tomorrow afternoon. Obviously, I'm pretty excited.

The boat appears to be in really great shape. But, just as is the case with all pre-owned boats there are a few personal preference changes that I am planning on making. My wife wants to change the color scheme in the V-Berth. My sister is a professional seamstress that specializes in making aircraft interiors, so, I'm lucky that I can get much of the work done at only materials cost. The change my wife would like to make includes the colors on the padding that surrounds the V-Berth (on the wall above the berth). It looks like the padding is in 3 sections. Does anyone know how that padding is attached? Hopefully, it can be easily removed.

The wife also really likes the colors of the curtains on most Thunders (kinda black and gold stripped). If anyone has changed their curtains and need to sell the original ones, I would be interested. If not, I'll contact BT and see if they have any leftovers in stock or can hook me up with the vendor.

I rarely have more than 6 people on the boat at one time and would prefer to have more space between the bolsters and the back bench. I'm planning on removing the second row of bolsters to provide additional space. That seems like it will be a pretty simple job of just removing the lag screws holding the bolsters, disconnect the power, take the seats out, and repair the screw holes. Will it be that simple, or is there more to it? Removing the bolsters means that I will have 2 bolster seats available for sale. They are in perfect condition, but obviously would probably have to be recovered to fit an existing color combo. If anyone is need of them let me know.

The owner installed some pretty neat fender brackets in the engine compartment. However, I prefer to have more space in there, so will probably remove those brackets and store the fenders elsewhere. Where do most people keep their fenders? I'm thinking under the rear bench.

Also, I'm considering upgrading the stereo system. A few Black Thunders I had looked at previous to purchasing this one had kick-ass custom stereo's. One had the amplifier installed behind the refrigerator -- I'm not sure where the amp was on the other one. Where is the best location to install an amp? It seems to me that behind the fridge may not allow the airflow to keep the amp cool enough to operate, and I don't want it shutting down numerous times.

The generator doesn't have a separate battery --- is that the normal set-up? I would think that the genny should have it's own dedicated battery

When we took the boat out for it's sea trial, she ran great. The operator said that he only uses the trim tabs to balance the ride, and even then it's minimal use. To get the best performance he just trimmed the boat out by slightly raising the drives. I know it depends on water conditions, number of people on the boat, etc, but, what is the normal drive and tab settings for easy cruising. Most of my time will be spent just cruising Lake St. Clair or the St. Clair River, and that means fairly calm waters and a speed around 3500 rpm's. I also do Put-In-Bay once or twice a year, so choppy Lake Erie is also in my future.

Thanks in advance for any responses you may have.

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    For cruising, every boat is a bit different, but you will figure it out quickly. When I go on a run with someone trying to figure it out, I tell them to go through a continuous number of steps at the main rpm's they feel comfortable running the engine at. So, you will set the RPM at 3500 while you have a normal load, with the tabs all the way up and the drives at nuetral. Then, tap the drives up one bump, record rpm and engine changes, again, again, etc. At some point the props will blow out, or you will notice a major drop off in speed. This usually happens shortly before you see a big increase in the roostertail. But, you will find your most efficient cruise speed by doing this, and take the time to do the same 3000rpm, 4000rpm, 4500rpm, wide open. The tabs you will dial in after the drive dial in. Usually they are 1 click up so they only bump the water in a lean etc. But, when turning any step hull sharply at speed, do not have the drives trimmed in, or the tabs way down. The stern will lift and you will not have fun......

11. Collapse Details

The drives at nuetral from Ratickle's post, is normally 3 to 4 on the drive gauge every boat is a little different, your drives or below nuetral at 0 on gauge

I hope that helps

12. Collapse Details

Very helpful response.................. thanks

The clock is ticking; boat should be here in an hour or so!!!!

13. Collapse Details

Congrats on the new boat.

14. Collapse Details

Thanks Bobby