Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
  1. Collapse Details

Probably different than most on here, but my interest in the Black Thunder isn't really speed. Currently I have a Powerquest 280 with a stock 502. When I bought the boat it had a pro-charger on it, and I blew the engine (ran lean). So, I returned the motor to stock although it still has the big lower unit, racing drive, and extension box. I cruise at around 40 MPH at 3500 RPM, top end is about 60. I'll kick it up to 60 once in awhile for the thrill, but normally just cruise. I love the boat. My wife hates it because she is spoiled by the cabin and ride comfort of my 33 Bertram. I don't want 2 boats, and think the BT is a good compromise. If I can cruise at 40 - 50 MPH, and get a top end occasionally in the 65 -70 range that's good enough for me. Having the huge cabin and good ride in rough water that serves my purpose (I often boat Lake Erie --- shallow and can get pretty nasty).

My hoist deal is pretty limited. I live on a canal with an 80' lot. My hoist is in a cutout that is surrounded by dock. I only have 40 feet from the first piling to my lot border where my neighbor has his hoist. The hoist people tell me I can reconfigure the hoist to back a new boat in and have the weight in the back. That doesn't leave me much room to maneuver. I think I can handle a 43 on a windy day, but a 46 would be really challenging.

That being said; I love your color scheme, and although I hadn't thought of double row bolsters, yours look nice. I'm retired and have a limited boating budget, but if yours was in my price range, and I could figure my hoist out ---- and my Bertram sold I'd be all over yours. That's a whole bunch of "If's" though
    Quote Originally Posted by stevewy View Post
    Just curious; I noticed that the boat name says "Pensacola Florida" and the location of your post is Millington Tn. Is the boat fresh water or salt?

2. Collapse Details

Its on a lift in the Miss river. I have trailered to the gulf once. had a great tiime. I bought it in ATL GA in 08. Fla is the port of call coast guard thing

3. Collapse Details

Founding Member / Super Moderator Ratickle's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The difference in overall length of the 43 vs the 46 is not 3' however. I'll doublecheck it to be accurate, but I believe it isn't all that much.
    Getting bad advice is unfortunate, taking bad advice is a Serious matter!!

4. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    The difference in overall length of the 43 vs the 46 is not 3' however. I'll doublecheck it to be accurate, but I believe it isn't all that much.
    I think you are right about the length. I know the swim pad is longer but not sure about the front. I would be curious to see what all was changed from the 43 to the 46. I don't think there were too many 430SCs made with the extended cockpit.

5. Collapse Details

That would be great if it's not. The 46 has a more lean look and hey who wouldn't rather say they have a 46 as opposed to a 43!

6. Collapse Details

BD: As I've mentioned, there are issues I have to overcome before I canbe a serious buyer. I don't want to waste your time, but I do really like the looks of your boat. If you have any other pictures and information can you email them to me? My email is stvsboat@aol.com

7. Collapse Details

I'm back in the "thinking/looking" stage on a BT purchase. A new buyer for my Bertram is in place, so, I'm back in the market. A few questions:

1) I hear a lot about BT's having serious drive problems. I've read this forum and know about John and his good work. However, I'm not interested in making a $100K purchase and having to drop down thousands more for a new or different drive set-up. One that I will be looking at is a 43XC powered by custom 540's @ 530hp running Bravo 1. I can't believe a Bravo 1 is adequate for a boat this heavy. Any thoughts are appreciated.

2) How difficult are they to trailer and is a F-350 dually sufficient for long distance? Any advice on hitch set up or other trailering?

3) What is the best prop set up for getting on plane and topping out in the 70MPH range. I'm more into the comfort than top end speed

and,

4) What are some rough water experiences people would like to share that will give me an idea of how they handle and ride.

Thanks for any input.

NOTE: BD If you read this, I would be interested in hearing more about your boat if you're seriously thinking of selling.

8. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    I doubt we'll get him on here this week because of first Madison then the Gold Cup, but Steve David can tell you all about rough water handling from when he used to take his across to the Bahamas from Miami, and back, in all kinds of weather. (And the Cigarettes tucked in behind him to follow!!) I'll shoot him an email though, don't hold your breath.

9. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    Now, I do not believe a stck Bravo 1 is strong enough. A stock XR I think would last if taken care of. On a 46 I'm not a positive.

As for getting on plane, should never be a problem unless you are propped for maximum top speed.

In June of 1999 Hot Boat tested a 430 Extended Cockpit when they first came out. It had twin HP500EFI's and Bravo Ones and was loaded with all the heavy options.

Top Speed, radar 73.0mph

Time to plane - Less than 5 secs

0-30 13.74sec
    0-40 16.83sec
    0-50 20.36sec
    0-60 25.73sec

4000 RPM Cruise - 57.9mph

10. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    By the way, Powerboat did a test of Steve David's "Sabrina" 43 back in August of 2000. It had trips, but I'll quote

"During testing off Hawk's Cay, our test team eked out 81.6 mph, which is pretty impressive, given the 5- to 6-foot seas that day."

11. Collapse Details

Thanks. Helpful response.

12. Collapse Details

Hi guys,
    Blowing drives isn't specific to Black Thunders. Anyone can blow a drive if they throttle too hard or not appropriate in the wrong conditions or simply too much HP or torque. My 2000 43' came with triple 500' and stock bravo drives. I ran it two years and about 270 hours that way with NO drive issues. I then installed Whipple Blowers which produced app. 690 HP each and went with XR drives. Would get about 60 hours per drive before something would blow.
    With the 500's she was a dream. I ran numerous times to the Bahamas, including Nassau, West end, Grand Bahama, Bimini, and throughotu the Keys and key West in all sorts of conditions from glass to small craft warnings. The last trip back from Bimini in 7-9's with a 20 knot NE wind against the northerly flow of the gulfstream. Constantly on and off the throttles and no problem. The Black Thunder is a rock solid hull, as good if not better than anything on the market for alot less money. Maybe not as "cool" as others or as refined, but I prefer comfort, livability and reliability to "cool". I could cruise all day between 55 and 60 MPH in anything up to real 3 footers. Beyond that it's a matter of how comfortable you want to be. When we ran in ugly stuff, like the 7-9's, I ran between 28-33 and NEVER broke a thing, NADA, Nothing.
    If you find a 43 with twin 500's expect about 72 MPH. Twin 525's about 75 and twin 575's about 77, real speed, full fuel in warm temps and humidity. I demoed them for BT at the Miami show for several years and the speeds I'm quoting are GPS speeds. (I was never an employee, just a customer that liked the product and the family that owns the company). The 2nd. generation 46 has a teriffic ride. The bottom was changed from the first 46's by reducing the notch length thereby extending the running surface. The 46 is identical to the 43 from the back seat to the bow. The length increas in the 46' is in the engine bay and swim platform. What you will notice with a BT, as opposed to low freeboard boats, is a greater reaction to wind. This is offset by use of your trim tabs, or minor adjustment in drive trim differential. Once you are used to the handling, it's easy.
    In short, buy one, have a ball and enjoy a huge cabin, great ride, solid build quality and an owners group that from my experience were people who weren't of the flash and bling variety, but more about boating fun, overnights on the anchor or in a marina, with friends and family.
    Steve David

13. Collapse Details

Hey Steve, great post!

Also, another small difference from the 43 to the 46 is the 46 has a slightly more aero/sharper entry in the nose. Also, the 2nd generation 460's not only had the notch filled in, but had the outside chines lowered as well. The steps were also increased in size.

14. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    What year was the change from first gen to second gen on the 46?

And thanks Steve, I really didn't expect you to have a spare minute until after the Gold Cup...

15. Collapse Details

I think the change was late 05'/early 06'........ Nothing that can't be done to older BT's.

16. Collapse Details

Thanks Steve, well said

You make Black Thunder owners proud of there boats, they are great boats!!!!!!

17. Collapse Details

I have two for sale 460EC with 525's and a 43SC with 650's not blower motors!
    Brett

18. Collapse Details

Blog Entries
    You can't sell both Brett!!!!!

19. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Ratickle View Post
    You can't sell both Brett!!!!!
    hahaha trying to get into a skater!!
    Brett

20. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Monopoly 46 View Post
    I have two for sale 460EC with 525's and a 43SC with 650's not blower motors!
    Brett
    I ll take the 46